Site Sponsors

Thread: can of worms

Post Thanks / Like

can of worms

Anybody using a DSLR like D600 or D800e etc for video?

If so which setting are you using?

I have been reading that they provide broadcast worthy files, but I haven't seen that in any of the files I have made at various HD settings.

Generally what software are you using? Also anyone upconverting the files which seems to me like that would not give any advantage.

Also if anybody is on a good video forum that addresses this I would really like to check it out.

Matto

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: can of worms

I'm not using a DSLR but a Panasonic GH3, so can't help you there. However, for pp, I can strongly recommend Adobe Premiere Pro. It's said to have a steep learning curve, but if you are on friendly terms with other Adobe software, it's not too bad, and there are tons of online tutorials available. I made my first edits by simply guessing my way through, and my guesses were mostly in line with recommendations that I've read about later. It's mostly drag and drop and the symbols that appear along the way are mostly easy to understand.

One good starting point for further learning is eoshd.com. Andrew Reid has a straightforward, easy to understand approach to shooting and editing video, and there's a good forum there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks I have a G5 and so far it is hopping the floor with the nikons the dynamic range is kind of bad outside but overall it actually looks hd not a lot of Flickr etc.

That GH4 looks really cool.

What lenses are you using on the GH3?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    Hey thanks I have a G5 and so far it is hopping the floor with the nikons the dynamic range is kind of bad outside but overall it actually looks hd not a lot of Flickr etc.

That GH4 looks really cool.

What lenses are you using on the GH3?
    The lenses I use the most are the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4. I also use the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5, but since that lens focuses slowly on the GH3 and there's no peaking on that camera, I don't use it much for video. One of the most important arguments for me to upgrade to GH4 is actually the peaking. Makes life much easier for video.

In addition to native lenses, I use OM Zuiko and Nikkor AIS lenses, but again: I miss peaking with those. I also plan to buy a speed booster for those formats to get me closer to the original FOV and to gain one stop.

The GH3/4 are from an ergonomic point of view as good as it gets when it comes to hybrid video/stills cameras. In my view, they are as good as the best from Nikon, Canon and Pentax in this respect. Add to that the lower weight and the best video and they are rather strong contenders. Nowadays, I would clearly choose the GH4.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to upgrade GH3 to GH4 because it have some advance features which make life easier for videos.