Site Sponsors

Thread: Premiere Rush, a quick fix in a hurry

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Premiere Rush, a quick fix in a hurry

Sometimes, I am in a hurry to get material out, and most video editing software is by nature slow to work with, while the simple ones mostly lack versatility. Yesterday, we produced 90 minutes of footage that had to be consentrated down to 5 minutes before noon today, including colour corrections, branding etc.

I decided to learn Premiere Rush in a hurry, and finally, Adobe seems to have hit a good balance between simplicity and versatility. It still requires some resources to run (my 12" MacBook nearly caught fire during the attempt, or so it felt, so had to use the Pro), and final rendering took 15 minutes for 5 minutes of 1080P. But all the tools needed for a simple job were there, including individual colour corrections per clip, layers etc.

Here's a great tutorial that got me started (forget about the tutorial that comes in the program itself, it's useless):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVBdZegMIpM

Edit:
    Another nice feature, one that I haven't tried yet, is that the whol "Rush" project can be opened in Premiere Pro for more advance editing later.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 5th February 2020 at 02:16.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premiere Rush, a quick fix in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Sometimes, I am in a hurry to get material out, and most video editing software is by nature slow to work with, while the simple ones mostly lack versatility. Yesterday, we produced 90 minutes of footage that had to be consentrated down to 5 minutes before noon today, including colour corrections, branding etc.

I decided to learn Premiere Rush in a hurry, and finally, Adobe seems to have hit a good balance between simplicity and versatility. It still requires some resources to run (my 12" MacBook nearly caught fire during the attempt, or so it felt, so had to use the Pro), and final rendering took 15 minutes for 5 minutes of 1080P. But all the tools needed for a simple job were there, including individual colour corrections per clip, layers etc.

Here's a great tutorial that got me started (forget about the tutorial that comes in the program itself, it's useless):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVBdZegMIpM

Edit:
    Another nice feature, one that I haven't tried yet, is that the whol "Rush" project can be opened in Premiere Pro for more advance editing later.
    Would iMovie work for you in this case?
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Premiere Rush, a quick fix in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Would iMovie work for you in this case?
    I have only tried iMovie briefly, and didn't like the user interface. Premiere Rush was very easy to learn (10 minutes) while still offering many advanced options, and again, the possibility to import the project to Premiere Pro. My preference may be tainted by the fact that I have used Premiere Pro off and on for a number of years.

With all that said, I consider switching to DaVinci Resolve, partly because it's free and partly because it runs faster on computers with smaller processors as long as the graphics card is fast/has sufficient RAM and there's enough RAM on the computer in total.