The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images thread)

HansAlbert

Re: A Different Path

A photo from Manhatten taken on a September 11th! What does that mean?

As subject matter we see a busy street scene with a rhombic composition: To the walker in the front – on the move, somewhat stoic, and apart from all others "on a different path" – corresponds as a counterpoint a man on the stairs sitting there with a shoe taken off, a bandage around his foot, looking at the scene. And the two groups of passers-by correspond with each other as well, by way of opposition. While the band on the right are standing, having a chat together, the people on the left are on the move, each going their own ways. The tattoo and piercing studio on the left and the Irish Pub on the right identify the place (St. Mark's Pl.) and refer to its urban culture.

What is the subject of this photo? I take the space arrangement of the composition (street, sidewalk, backdrop) to be essential for a meaningful reading: The (quasi perpetual) walker on the street is a passer-by of the city as a whole, not a direct observer but an inspirer for the viewer to regard the city in the dimension of a timeline, thus creating a distance to it from his "different path" and making us comment the scene behind him. His resting counterpart on the stairs within the urban backdrop symbolically personifies the view of the city as a whole at its inhabitants represented by the passers-by on the sidewalk. Being put off one's stride by a little injury while life goes on – that is then the implicit subtext of the photo. Like the human body is marked by a tattoo that day of the inferno is imprinted in the memory of the city, but its 'will to life', the vitality of the people is nevertheless going strong, and "addiction nyc" may be translated by the viewer of this photo as "declaration of love".

kevinparis

still not sure whether to laugh at or get mildly upset by the 'even kevin' comment?

anyway... off to chase some more dead pigeons...

k

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin....
After our interview, you don't know my sense of humor....
But that's no excuse for not taking Harry to the street...
He may like dead pigeons.....
Don

m3photo

Lisbon

Spent five days in Lisbon at the end of August. All images taken with Panasonic G1 and kit lens or 105mm Nikkor.

Here is one; clicking on the image will take you to more in my gallery on this site.

Refreshing

Godfrey

Meeting In Grand Central Station

another from my visit to Manhattan on 9/11.
comments always appreciated, thanks for looking.