The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Leica M8.2 $3200

Millsart

Selling my excellent condition Leica M8.2. Camera is about as mint as your going to find with 4028 actuations on it.

There is one little spot of very, very light brassing, about 1mm in length on the edge above the right strap lug, but otherwise there isn't a mark on the camera.

Comes with the box and all included items, ie; software, battery, cords, manuals, documentation, software CD and not yet filled out US warranty card.

I'm selling due to purchase of a M9

If, like I was, your considering both a M8 and 8.2 I can honestly say I think the M8.2 is worth the additional investment (granted I'm also selling one)

Way I looked at it was that the M8, while still a fine camera, is still a pretty serious purchase, and to spend over $2k for a more compromised camera made less sense to me than to spend $3200 on one that corrected a lot of those issues.

After checking them both out first hand a few things that really stood out as making the M8.2 worth the extra money to me was the following;

1) improved shutter. The M8.2 has a much quieter shutter that has a lot less vibration

2) discrete shutter mode. This mode allows you to not recock the camera until you let go of the shutter button, greatly reducing the noise. I really like this feature for street shooting

3) Sapphire LCD. From what I understand the second hardest material known to man so unless you've got a diamond your not going to scratch it

4) improved mode dial. Your less likely to accidentally bump the selector to timer mode or turn it off etc.

5) compact battery charger. This is a big one for me. The M8 charger is HUGE and a total PITA to travel with. The M8.2 uses a small size charger like you'd see on any other camera. Easy to throw in the bag

6) Frame line. This was worth the price of admission for me alone. The M8 lines just weren't very accurate compared to the M8.2 which pretty well matches up with all focal lengths I've used on it. Getting used to rangefinder shooting is tough enough as it but without accurate framelines its that much harder.

7) body material and black dot. I suppose this one is just matter of taste, but the improved vulcanite body covering is a lot nicer to grip and looks better, not to mention the very "stealth" black Leica dot.

Overall no one item is that big of thing but when you add all of them up it just makes for a better overall ownership experience.

$3200 shipped (US only)

Last edited:

Millsart

Here is a close up photo of that little spot of brassing, which is the only mark on the camera, even the bottom plate looks just like new, as you can see in the accompanying photo.

Lewis44

I recently purchased a lens from Jeff and I can Highly recommend him. Great Communication and the description was right on. He shipped on Friday and I received it on Monday.
If I had the cash, I'd buy this camera myself.

Millsart

Just a daily bump to keep this near and dear in the minds of all those people who are wanting/looking for a great M8.2 camera.

Fantastic system and never been a better time than right now to jump in. M8.2 bodies are a fantastic value right now and there is a ton of great glass from the likes of Voigtlander and Zeiss than can give you stellar optics for reasonable prices that will blow the doors off anything Nikon/Canon/Sigma etc you may have been shooting

rsolti13

Just a daily bump to keep this near and dear in the minds of all those people who are wanting/looking for a great M8.2 camera.

Fantastic system and never been a better time than right now to jump in. M8.2 bodies are a fantastic value right now and there is a ton of great glass from the likes of Voigtlander and Zeiss than can give you stellar optics for reasonable prices that will blow the doors off anything Nikon/Canon/Sigma etc you may have been shooting
I will +1 this comment. Great camera and it indeed DOES blow the doors off my high end Nikon stuff

leicashot

I will +1 this comment. Great camera and it indeed DOES blow the doors off my high end Nikon stuff
I'm curious as to what you mean by 'blow doors off' you high end Nikon equipment. As much as I love the M9, it doesn't do anything my Nikon D3s/x can't do.

Millsart

Well in fairness, yes, some of my best Nikon glass like the 85 1.4, 24 and 45 PC-E, 200 f2.0 etc is still very, very good. The D3x is a great camera as well (traded mine for an additional D3 body though as they are a better choice for my primary work)

That said, compared to lenses like my 70-200, 24-70, and some older Ai glass like the 35 f1.4 AiS, I see a pretty night and day difference in the overall image quality between the M8.2 and my D3, D300, or D700, or my just sold GH1/2, etc.

The overall per pixel sharpness and image clarity is out of this world and I've never seen such sharp images with next to zero distortion and great color balance/saturation as I've been getting withe the M8.2.

Obviously there are fantastic lenses for all the brands of 35mm DSLR's and some excellent bodies as well, such as the D3x, but honestly I think that a majority of those who've got bodies like the D3x and $20,000 in glass probably are more in the market for a M9, and not really who I was meaning the message for.

I had in mind those who where using smaller bodies like a m4/3 or NEX, or D7000 or other APS-C dslr's. All fine and good do everything cameras (I've owned all of them as well) but compared to a M8.2 and even Voigtlander glass I saw a huge difference in the files they could produce (at least in stuff I shot)

As I said, the sharpness, richness of color, tonal range etc I was getting out of the M8.2 just blew me away, and that was with some reasonable lens like a Zeiss Planar, CV 35mm Skopar etc.

Point being you don't have to break the bank with $4k Lux's to still be able to get some really amazing files out of a M8.2 and you don't need to spend close to the cost of a small car either as used prices are what I consider in reach for many who wouldn't of thought about spending $7k for a body.

I'm obviously biased though because I loved my M8.2 so much I just went and bought the M9. Never would of even considered it before and its still a ton of money but I just love the shooting experience and the image quality so much.

To each his own, but I have never been happier with a camera, both in terms of images and overall handling. Rangefinder photographer just suits me (not for my paid work but personally)

M8.2 isn't cheap by any means but I think its money very well spent and hopefully the buyer of my, or any M8/8.2 is going to feel the same way and experience something that they never had before with a aps-c dslr and lower end glass like a Tamron/Sigma etc.

Though again, to each his own, but I knew that after a few days with the M8 I couldn't go back to my Gh1, D300 or any of the other compact/personal photography type bodies I've tried to find for when I don't want to lug a pro DSLR around.

sidmuer

Hmm.. I dunno.. I would personally prefer a nex and 28mm 2.0 for some evening photography, considering the ISO performance on Leica cameras.
As soon as the sun sets a little, I love my little nex with some rangefinder glass!

Well in fairness, yes, some of my best Nikon glass like the 85 1.4, 24 and 45 PC-E, 200 f2.0 etc is still very, very good. The D3x is a great camera as well (traded mine for an additional D3 body though as they are a better choice for my primary work)

That said, compared to lenses like my 70-200, 24-70, and some older Ai glass like the 35 f1.4 AiS, I see a pretty night and day difference in the overall image quality between the M8.2 and my D3, D300, or D700, or my just sold GH1/2, etc.

The overall per pixel sharpness and image clarity is out of this world and I've never seen such sharp images with next to zero distortion and great color balance/saturation as I've been getting withe the M8.2.

Obviously there are fantastic lenses for all the brands of 35mm DSLR's and some excellent bodies as well, such as the D3x, but honestly I think that a majority of those who've got bodies like the D3x and $20,000 in glass probably are more in the market for a M9, and not really who I was meaning the message for.

I had in mind those who where using smaller bodies like a m4/3 or NEX, or D7000 or other APS-C dslr's. All fine and good do everything cameras (I've owned all of them as well) but compared to a M8.2 and even Voigtlander glass I saw a huge difference in the files they could produce (at least in stuff I shot)

As I said, the sharpness, richness of color, tonal range etc I was getting out of the M8.2 just blew me away, and that was with some reasonable lens like a Zeiss Planar, CV 35mm Skopar etc.

Point being you don't have to break the bank with $4k Lux's to still be able to get some really amazing files out of a M8.2 and you don't need to spend close to the cost of a small car either as used prices are what I consider in reach for many who wouldn't of thought about spending $7k for a body.

I'm obviously biased though because I loved my M8.2 so much I just went and bought the M9. Never would of even considered it before and its still a ton of money but I just love the shooting experience and the image quality so much.

To each his own, but I have never been happier with a camera, both in terms of images and overall handling. Rangefinder photographer just suits me (not for my paid work but personally)

M8.2 isn't cheap by any means but I think its money very well spent and hopefully the buyer of my, or any M8/8.2 is going to feel the same way and experience something that they never had before with a aps-c dslr and lower end glass like a Tamron/Sigma etc.

Though again, to each his own, but I knew that after a few days with the M8 I couldn't go back to my Gh1, D300 or any of the other compact/personal photography type bodies I've tried to find for when I don't want to lug a pro DSLR around.

Millsart

I like the NEX, it's a cool little camera that can take some great photos. I also enjoy using m mount glass on it quite a bit as well. Actually it was buying the NEX5 and some m glass that made me get the m8, as I wanted to try the glass on a native mount.

Downside to the nex for me was that I didn't have good luck wider than 35mm. corner smearing and color shifts and with the crop factor 35 was a 50 so not very wide. ZM35 Biogon C was awesome though on the camera!

other less than perfect issue was the zoomed in mf on the LCD. It works, and with v3 firmware works well, but I found it tough at times to do as with 7 or 14x zoo
and a longer lens things were just so shaky. It's great on a tripod and you can really nail the focus but for more on the fly shooting I find the rangefinder so much faster.

Great camera for the money and one that can give really nice images with the right glass, but just a bit of a different experience than rangefinder shooting. not to say better or worse, different.

I much prefer the Leica though and haven't touched my NeX since getting it.

johnnygoesdigital

I agree, The M9 experience is truly unique. I had a Canon 1ds mkii with the "L" glass and while a great camera for many different missions, the image quality is not up to par with the Leica. First, the Canon/Nikon glass is designed for the DSLR design, thus inherent distortion and much bigger and bulkier too. With a Leica the image plane and lens are so close resulting in better quality...IMO

sidmuer

nah, you can say it :)
it is a better experience on a RF. I agree.
Yes, I read all about the issues with wider glass. I personally got the 'cron 28mm asph, and it doesn't have that issue with the nex. So I'm glad I chose it.
I am totally fine with the focus method. But, when it's bright outside, it's a LOT harder. (glare on screen). What makes up for it, you can set the f stop pretty small. ( F11 ) and then estimate with focus distance. That pretty much catches your photo in focus all the time due to the Fstop it's at as long as you're not TOO far off with your focus estimate using the scale. It sounds like a lot, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite quick and easy. Focus, and snap, done.
All that said, yes I preferred the m9 and m8 for sure when I had it, especially in well light times.
I do prefer the nex in evening shots however.

Did you get your m9 yet?? Just wondering if you got to snap some photo's off with it yet...

I like the NEX, it's a cool little camera that can take some great photos. I also enjoy using m mount glass on it quite a bit as well. Actually it was buying the NEX5 and some m glass that made me get the m8, as I wanted to try the glass on a native mount.

Downside to the nex for me was that I didn't have good luck wider than 35mm. corner smearing and color shifts and with the crop factor 35 was a 50 so not very wide. ZM35 Biogon C was awesome though on the camera!

other less than perfect issue was the zoomed in mf on the LCD. It works, and with v3 firmware works well, but I found it tough at times to do as with 7 or 14x zoo
and a longer lens things were just so shaky. It's great on a tripod and you can really nail the focus but for more on the fly shooting I find the rangefinder so much faster.

Great camera for the money and one that can give really nice images with the right glass, but just a bit of a different experience than rangefinder shooting. not to say better or worse, different.

I much prefer the Leica though and haven't touched my NeX since getting it.

Millsart

Being able to focus/compose on the LCD with the lens stopped down is indeed a pretty cool feature and a great work around for lenses that are otherwise optically good or a great value, but that suffer a bit of a strong focus shift, such as the VC 35mm f1.4. Also great for being able to put some longer focal lengths on there which could prove a bit of a challenge with a rangefinder such as 135+mm glass.

Probably the biggest gripe I have with the NEX is that I just couldn't find an adapter that had correct infinity focus as they all went way past it. Obviously not every photo is going to be focused at infinity but on the rangefinder its usually pretty easy to go in infinity then back off a touch. On the NEX your at infinity and nothing is in focus so you've got to back off a bit to even find infinity and then a touch more on top of that to actually find the plane of focus, and on most lenses the focus ring travel distance is very small so we are talking about literally merely touching the focus ring to be in or out of critical focus. It can be done of course and a zoomed in LCD helps a lot but its just really finicky, unless someone comes up with an adapter that has the EXACT flange distance for m mount glass.

Haven't gotten the M9 yet, my echeck payment cleared on Friday so should be sometime this coming week and I can't wait.

In all honesty I was perfectly happy with the M8.2, but it was such a great deal on the M9 I couldn't pass it up.

seakayaker

Jeff, you will be quite happy with rolling the dice and going ahead and purchasing the M9!

. . . . . perhaps M8.2's are best sold in the Spring!

Perhaps things will pick up tomorrow! :D

sidmuer

with spring around the corner, the M8.2 will go a lot easier. It's tough in the winter, since even my cam stays home a lot then.

You know what, I think I'm one of the FEW guys that got the adapter that DOESN'T reach infinity by a smidgen. And I mean, literally off by .1mm! lol...
But, there's a fix for the ones that go over infinity.
You can unscrew the adapter apart, and add, say, tinfoil at the screw joints, so they screw in less, and keep adding, screwing it back together, until you find the infinity spot. Ya, a hassle, but so nice to have it set right when done.
The new NEX is supposed to have an EVF, so that will be nice. But that's an unknown time away still.
And the M8.2 is a 1.3x crop vs a 1.5x factor on the nex.
So ya, the M8 still has a lot of offerings I miss, and esp. my m9, when I had it, FF couldn't be beat.
Also, no filter at the sensor = more sharpness on the Leicas.

Being able to focus/compose on the LCD with the lens stopped down is indeed a pretty cool feature and a great work around for lenses that are otherwise optically good or a great value, but that suffer a bit of a strong focus shift, such as the VC 35mm f1.4. Also great for being able to put some longer focal lengths on there which could prove a bit of a challenge with a rangefinder such as 135+mm glass.

Probably the biggest gripe I have with the NEX is that I just couldn't find an adapter that had correct infinity focus as they all went way past it. Obviously not every photo is going to be focused at infinity but on the rangefinder its usually pretty easy to go in infinity then back off a touch. On the NEX your at infinity and nothing is in focus so you've got to back off a bit to even find infinity and then a touch more on top of that to actually find the plane of focus, and on most lenses the focus ring travel distance is very small so we are talking about literally merely touching the focus ring to be in or out of critical focus. It can be done of course and a zoomed in LCD helps a lot but its just really finicky, unless someone comes up with an adapter that has the EXACT flange distance for m mount glass.

Haven't gotten the M9 yet, my echeck payment cleared on Friday so should be sometime this coming week and I can't wait.

In all honesty I was perfectly happy with the M8.2, but it was such a great deal on the M9 I couldn't pass it up.

MP7

good deal sometimes do more harm than good; perhaps it is better to let a good deal go instead.