The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

203FE purchase advise

pgopinath

I had a 205FCCback in the early 2000s. I changed jobs and the new job gave me the opportunity to travel to very exciting places in Central Asia - think Michener Caravans. I sold the 205 system to get a complete Leica outfit which was better suited to fast made moving and getting in and out of heavy vehicles.

I am retired now and am lusting for a 200 series camera, preferably a 203FE. I will only shoot film. i am also getting an X2D. I checked with Hasselblad about getting a full CLA on body and lenses. They said they don't touch the 200 series anymore. I can't find any independent repair shops that will work on a 203FE.

Qs:
1. Are there any shops that will work on a 203FE?
2. If not, is this misplaced nostalgia and romanticism on my part to want a 203FE knowing that when it breaks I will be the proud owner of an expensive paperweight? It may well outlive me. I believe that the three FE lenses I am looking at can be used on a X2D with an adapter.
3. Should I instead be looking at a 501 CM for my film shooting needs?

I did search the forums and didn't see any specific references to whether the 2023FE has been end of lifed with no spares and support.

Thanks
Prabha

richardman

Talk to Wilco Jansen in Netherlands, he works on the 2xx series.

Also try these people
Southern Photo Technical Service (305)653-7355 Toll Free: (866)787-4349 37 NE 167th Street, North Miami Beach, Florida 33162

Someone has their 203FE worked on by them very recently.

Ignore the Hassy "big names". None of them will touch the 2xx cameras.

richardman

Production ends on the 2xx in early 2000s with few parts available, but if you get it a good one and CLA, it should last many years.

anyone

Are you in Europe or the US? If Europe, there may be the old Hasselblad technician in Germany who still may service it.

pgopinath

Are you in Europe or the US? If Europe, there may be the old Hasselblad technician in Germany who still may service it.
Is should have stated that in my original post. I am in the US but am willing to ship to the EU if there is someone there who.will.work on it.my challenge so far has been finding a name anywhere - US or EU.

anyone

You may give it a try:

Ulf Kühn Service. People report mixed experiences with his services - but if someone in Germany still services this camera it would be most likely him. You may also contact Hasselblad Germany (contacts on the same webpage above) - they reside in the same building.

Pieter 12

As an avid owner and user of many orphan cameras, I would recommend you stay away from the 200 series. I would also avoid the 555.

Godfrey

My choice when I got back into Hasselblad gear in the 2012-2015 time period was to go with the 500CM, despite being interested in the 200 series. I didn't trust the parts and service situation on the 200 series. I certainly wouldn't put money into Hasselblad 200 series cameras afresh new now.

The 500, 501, or 503 are such good, reliable, and easy-to-get-serviced cameras... :)
... And if you get a 907x instead of an X2D, you can use the CFV 100C back on any of them seamlessly (it also works on the 200 series).

I bought the 907x/CFVII 50c as soon as the 50th Anniversary On The Moon edition was announced. I remain absolutely delighted with it, and the way I can use all my V system equipment with the back.

G

pgopinath

Thanks everyone for the responses and confirming that the uneasy feeling I had about investing afresh in the 200 series would most likely be unwise. I currently have no Hasselblad gear. If I was to set aside wanting to shoot medium format film on a 500 series then the best COA for me would be to go with the X2D and a set of its XCD/V lenses perhaps with the zoom added in.

richardman

I'm the contrarian. I love my 203FE, and expect it to OUTLAST me. Also, guess what you can do if you absolutely cannot use the electronic?

No, it's not a brick, it acts EXACTLY like a 5xx camera.

And the lenses are best of the best Hasselblad Zeiss. e.g. the 50/2.8 is FLE except that you do not need to manually adjust the distance for the FLE.

Godfrey

I'm the contrarian. I love my 203FE, and expect it to OUTLAST me. Also, guess what you can do if you absolutely cannot use the electronic?

No, it's not a brick, it acts EXACTLY like a 5xx camera.

And the lenses are best of the best Hasselblad Zeiss. e.g. the 50/2.8 is FLE except that you do not need to manually adjust the distance for the FLE.
Heh! :D

Well, if I had one, I'd keep working with it until it stopped working. My comments were only inasmuch as I never owned on, already had a couple of my old C and CF lenses (which work well enough for me...), and didn't see the point of risking service and such if I weren't buying new lenses that only worked on the 200 series. ;)

G

richardman

Cameras with electronics had been around since the 70s or earlier. Most of them "die" not because of the electronics, but by people putting them on the shelves. As long as there are some technicians willing to touch them, it's not a problem.

Pieter 12

Cameras with electronics had been around since the 70s or earlier. Most of them "die" not because of the electronics, but by people putting them on the shelves. As long as there are some technicians willing to touch them, it's not a problem.
Unfortunately, with most orphan cameras it comes down to parts availability and technicians with the knowledge to repair them. Both are in short supply or NLA. Very often there is a weak point in the camera, so even donor cameras can't supply working components or parts.

richardman

Unfortunately, with most orphan cameras it comes down to parts availability and technicians with the knowledge to repair them. Both are in short supply or NLA. Very often there is a weak point in the camera, so even donor cameras can't supply working components or parts.
My point is that the 2xx series is not significantly more risky to own than the 5xx series. Sure, more risky because fewer tech are available, but the difference is overblown, IMHO

Pieter 12

My point is that the 2xx series is not significantly more risky to own than the 5xx series. Sure, more risky because fewer tech are available, but the difference is overblown, IMHO
Except Hasselblad no longer supports the 2xx. The flocking deteriorates after a number of years and can be quite expensive to properly replace. And I believe fewer were made, so the likelihood of donor cameras and parts would be less. Technicians who work on the focal plane shutter Hasselblads can be hard to find.