The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

203FE purchase advise

rmueller

Hi,
if you get a 203FE that was sitting on a shelve for years or otherwise not used it is very important you get it checked before you start using it. There is a plastic foil inside glued to some other part (I believe the rear shutter curtain if I remember correctly). Over the years this glue will dissolve and the foil fall off. If you are lucky, the foil will fall off and lay flat at the bottom of the camera body. If you are unlucky, the foil will get between the shutter curtain when you release the shutter and then it is R.I.P. 203FE
I was lucky when I got mine 5 years ago, shot a few rolls but then ultimately send it to a HB technician in Ahrensburg (former HQ of HB in Germany). Mr. Kuehn confirmed the foil came off and he removed it. If you like DM me and I'll send the contact. Mr. Kuehn was once employed by HB Germany for camera support and repair and last time I talked to him he's running his own repair shop now.
All done and set, I won't give away my 203FE, it is working properly ever since I got it serviced and the foil got removed. I use it with the FE 50 and FE 110 lenses, the latter having the best bokeh of all the lenses I own. The series here was shot with the 203FE.
US Road Trip

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I got the very same done by Mr.Kuehn to my 203FE and am very happy , that this platic foil can't destroy the shutter curtain .
Ralf , this is a very valuable advice you posted here . (y)

leejo

I used a 203FE for about 12 years. Also used a 202FA and a 201F, in total about 17 years using the 200 series bodies. I used these out in the air, for multiple projects, sometimes in bad weather, and never babied them in a studio setting. The 202FA was my backup body along side the 203FE as, over time, I started to trust the 203FE less and less.

The 203FE was serviced twice: once a CLA, once a shutter mechanism repair (it was temperamental)
The 202FA was serviced once: a CLA + shutter mechanism repair (second curtain was failing to close completely)
The 201F was serviced once: the camera jammed up (refused to advance)

On average I was getting these cameras serviced / CLA'd every four or five years. It's not just the electronic bits - you will need the CLA and mirror alignment stuff to be done and most service/repair shops will not do that with the 200 series bodies even if it's the "standard" CLA stuff.

I sold the lot last year. The writing is on the wall for these bodies.

The 203FE was the best camera Hasselblad ever made, but it needed regular service. This is now difficult and will soon be impossible.

Last edited:

ggibson

Interesting discussion. I've been looking for a well-priced, good condition 203FE for over a year now, but I have yet to pull the trigger. I'd like to use the 110/2 and 50/2.8, and the aperture priority/in-camera light meter would make shooting much more care-free compared to my 503cx. From my understanding of the features, the 205 models could also work. The mixed advice on serviceability is concerning though.

hasselblad 503cw

I used Rollei 6008 with schneider 180MM/2.8 PQ several years and totally only shot 5 rolls.
Not have chance for Rollei's Edition 110MM/2, either Hasselblad 110mm/f2
Due to attractive 110mm/f2 which is the only reason I lust to 203FE.
Concern it's price and repairablility, I had better step back and have cup of tea.

Pieter 12

I used Rollei 6008 with schneider 180MM/2.8 PQ several years and totally only shot 5 rolls.
Not have chance for Rollei's Edition 110MM/2, either Hasselblad 110mm/f2
Due to attractive 110mm/f2 which is the only reason I lust to 203FE.
Concern it's price and repairablility, I had better step back and have cup of tea.
I wonder why you only shot 5 rolls? The 180 is a fabulous, fast portrait lens. Big and heavy, too. The 110mm Planar is quite rare as is the 60mm Curtagon, both excellent and expensive lenses. Maybe you should have tried the 6008 with some other lenses. It is versatile camera, but like the 203, an orphan camera that has a dubious lifetime if something goes wrong with it. Although I do think there are at least a couple of technicians still repairing them if they can get the parts. I am the fortunate (or unfortunate) owner of several bodies and a slew of lenses that are all in good working order today and I shoot a Rollei Hy6 regularly.

Last edited:

hasselblad 503cw

Hi Pieter,
yes, it was and is fabulous lens, except it’s weight, flaring backlight portrait @fully open aperture, 1/500s fastest shutter speed rather 1/1000s . I found I can’t handle. I was boken fan, partly cured at moment. I regret not try 110mmm/2 when I owned 6008. I miss 6008I so much, but not regret transfer to Blads. I will no entry 200 series. 110mm planar will be the last song of 200 series.

leejo

Interesting discussion. I've been looking for a well-priced, good condition 203FE for over a year now, but I have yet to pull the trigger. I'd like to use the 110/2 and 50/2.8, and the aperture priority/in-camera light meter would make shooting much more care-free compared to my 503cx. From my understanding of the features, the 205 models could also work. The mixed advice on serviceability is concerning though.
The care-free shooting is the biggest draw, and was why I ended up getting the 203FE. Serviceability concern may depend on usage - I was traveling with and putting about 100 rolls a year through these cameras, not quite pro/studio level numbers but enough that they needed regular service. If you pick up a recently serviced body and only put a couple of dozen rolls a year through it then it might last another decade. It might fail a week after you get it. It's absolutely a lottery at this point with these cameras.

I created the Hasselblad 2000 / 200 Series (Focal Plane) group on Flickr a couple of years after picking up my first 200 series body, as there was little information online at the time (I've long since deleted my Flickr account) and even back *then* it could be a struggle to get bodies repaired/serviced. At least Hasselblad was still willing to look at them. Now? Not the case anymore.

pgopinath

After considering all the potential issues I might run into and the lack of spares or repair techs I decided to give up on the 203FE track. It has also been almost 20 years since I shot film of any kind and the thought of getting back into that workflow wasn't very attractive. I pulled the trigger on an X2D kit with a mix of four pre-owned lenses. I still have the classic Hasselblad body itch and will eventually look for 501 or 503.

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

anyone

If you want to use the fantastic lenses like the 110/2, you can also buy a relatively cheap 2000 body.