The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 IV and A7R IV auto focus

guphotography

Hi folks,

I'm set to return to Sony camp after leaving a7r iii for gfx a couple of years ago.

My utmost concern is the auto focus, namely accuracy and speed, 100s just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to active lifestyle shoots.

MP isn't a criteria, as I have 60mp ccd back and 100mp cmos for that, I want a lightweight camera for lifestyle and travel work, auto focus is an absolutely key, to capture football, jogging etc. I ruled out fuji x series since smaller sensor still isn't good eough for low light work.

Given similar price point in the second hand market, I'm leaning towards a7 iv based on reviews I've studied so far, that auto focus especially tracking is better than a7r iv.

Would you agree?

The lenses I will pair with are 50 gm 1.2, maybe a modest 35, such as 1.8 or 2 (since it's not my preferred focal length), then 90mm macro.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your experiences!

JoelM

Partially depends on what you are focusing on. The A1 is king and then the A9. The A9 might be considered. The A7IV is a newer camera so the focusing is probably better so that would be a better choice than the A7rIV.
Joel

guphotography

People/faces only.

A1 is definitely an overkill, a9 is okay, but 33mp is a sweeter spot, so I'm really hoping the auto focus would be better than a7r iv.

ggibson

I made this decision last year when the A7IV came out and the A7rIV was selling for around the same price. From the reviews I read/watched, it seemed that the A7IV AF was noticeably better than the A7rIV, plus there are other hardware/video and usability improvements. Mostly what the R has is the advantage of 61MP. So I went for the A7IV and I would do the same again. The AF is really amazing, especially with newer lenses like the GMs and even the Tamron 70-180. I've shot my son's swim meets with the zoom and the A7IV can grab focus on the eye in a split second when a swimmer surfaces. It's really really good.

guphotography

This is the exact information i was hoping for.

Knowing how difficult to capture the swim myself, I'm confident it is more than capable for my needs.

Thanks again for taking time sharing your experience!