The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried and liked the TTArtisan 90 f1.25 lens?

algrove

Just wondering if it's any good since it costs about $13k less than the Leica 90 f1.5. Might try it for fun.

algrove

Member Vince Lupo uses it on a Hasselblad 907x (See Here) and gets very nice results with it.
To be fair, any camera/lens he takes in his hands results in great photo's, just more proof it's more the photographer than the gear :geek:
Thanks.
Does V Lupo use it mainly for portraits? I meant my question for Leica M use, but neglected to say M.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Good grief, just came across this thread while waiting on meds. While I have been “under a rock” for extended periods I have vague recollections of TTA lenses but I’ve had no time to familiarize myself with them. They are intriguing now that I think about it.

Over the years I had a couple of CV lenses and I liked them (a 50mm and a 28mm). In fact they were good enough to use exclusively for a photo essay book.

But since then, I have been somewhat redirected not so much as a result of certain things as much as seemingly random ricochet forces. Lately it seems that things are a little less chaotic for a brief respite and my mind wanders back to thoughts of doing another personal project, where good value lenses are a wise choice if the right one comes along.

I too, wonder if 90mm is a good focal length for people portraits. It certainly seems to have promise! :)

It is now January, have your results been consistently satisfying?

Btw, I love how the rusty old truck presents itself in the two images above. :)

algrove

I go by this spot often and it has become somewhat of a test subject for many lenses and cameras. To be frank a 50 can be a good portrait lens too and to some is often a better choice. Personally I like 90mm. It speaks to me. However this TT lens is extremely heavy due to its f stop. I have other 90's so I decided to return this one even though it had no problem optically.

pegelli

I go by this spot often and it has become somewhat of a test subject for many lenses and cameras. To be frank a 50 can be a good portrait lens too and to some is often a better choice. Personally I like 90mm. It speaks to me. However this TT lens is extremely heavy due to its f stop. I have other 90's so I decided to return this one even though it had no problem optically.
My local photoshop has both the TTA 90/1.25 as well as the TTA 75/1.25 lens on display. Indeed the 90/1.25 looks very big and heavy but the 75 looks a lot easier to handle. Does anybody have experience with it? One of the things that stops me getting it is reading about the focus shift at different apertures, which means it will be unusable on my Leica M without Live View or an EVF.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
All ultra-wide aperture lenses have shallow DoF. They vary in the quality of the bokeh, especially slightly stopped down where the shape and number of the aperture blades matter a lot. If I were less lazy, I'd dig up one of those portraits at night with way OOF lights in the background.

agfa100

These were shot with a Sigma fp so focus was not a issue. I thought about the TT 90mm but I have a 90 Summicron and it's paid for so why bother.

rayt

The lens got a lot of good reviews bit I was still on the fence until I saw Vince Lupo’s medium format photos shot with one. I bought one in M mount new from KEH which by the way has it for over $100 less than other online dealers. It arrived but I didn‘t have time to use it except mounting it on my M10M to adjust the focus. Mine came calibrated as far as I could see, comparing shots using RF and Viso. It’s a solid heavy lens. Oozes quality. I planned to use it on the SL2 and only got it in M mount for the flexibility.