The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone with an Apple Vision Pro (and maybe a CFV-100c)?

akaru

I'm just coming up for air as I've been working on a RAW image editor for this weird new device. If any of you have one and would like a TestFlight link to try out editing on what could be the largest "monitor" you'll ever own, DM me. (I'm also launching a preorder. Not sure if I can post links and don't want to spam, so DM for that as well, or mods let me know if I can send an App Store link.)

I see that the wonderful new Hasselblad is out as well. I don't have one, but I'd like one. I have tested this app on an X2d and it works well, so assuming the same but haven't tried it.

Part of why I started working on this--besides the desire to edit on a massive high-res HDR-capable screen that has complete control of ambient light--is due to issues using the Phocus app. I'm not sure I can get HB's color science without it, so it may require a trip through it still, but at least I'm trying to create a more performant interface...and again...that screen!

buildbot

I'm just coming up for air as I've been working on a RAW image editor for this weird new device. If any of you have one and would like a TestFlight link to try out editing on what could be the largest "monitor" you'll ever own, DM me. (I'm also launching a preorder. Not sure if I can post links and don't want to spam, so DM for that as well, or mods let me know if I can send an App Store link.)
I don’t have an Apple Vision Pro, but I just want to say I think this is super cool, and also very impressive that you already have an editor working with x2d files!!!

akaru

The only ones I have are of my daughter, which I don't share publicly, and I just traded my x2d in because this thing's expensive ;)
Maybe I can just redact.
I'll look through my files soon and see if there's any that aren't her...but she was my main use for that camera. But it works perfectly fine once it's loaded, which can take a moment.

Thanks for the kind words. Was a labor of love. Will be the second photo editor for this device...oh and I have the first one as well ha ha.

akaru

I’ll likely take that clip down soon and replace it with a more polished version. I think I misunderstood Paul’s comment…I think he was asking if screenshots were possible on the Vision Pro while I took it to mean “if it’s possible to view hasselblad files, prove it with screenshots” because I was working too late ha ha.
So yes, they’re possible—in fact required by Apple for the store—but you have to go into a weird mode that turns off foveated rendering and it’s a laborious process.

Godfrey

Interesting.

I'm one of those who just doesn't "get" things like the Apple Vision Pro. I find wearing any full ear covering headphones and anything that sits on my head and covers my face ultimately claustrophobic and annoying ... can't wait to take them off. So I haven't been at all interested in these goggles...

Perhaps I'll wander by the Apple Store today when I'm out and see what all the hype is about. ;)

G

drunkenspyder

Very cool. I was an early adopter on the AVP, until I wasn't. I flippin' live and breathe Apple and have for decades, but the AVP didn't cut it for me. I was impressed by the technology, but not the experience. I returned mine after nine days of trying it for every use case I could imagine. My #1: travel entertainment. And as a one-bag traveler, it's just too big and actually not as practical or even enjoyable as my laptop and AirPods. My #2: as it turned out, there was no #2. Productivity apps simply couldn't match speed and ease of use as my desktops or laptop. I actually prefer multiple devices. So, if I am watching a game or a movie on my home big screen, I like having my laptop to follow/conduct ancillary activity [fan forums or apps like email], and my phone for FaceTime with family if it comes up [we often watch things together]. I don't actually want everything in one place.

Good luck on this effort. in Gen3, when the AVP is 40% lighter, 20% smaller, and with an expanded FOV, I will be looking for your app!

akaru

Care to preorder now? It'll just be four to five years before you'll have it in hand :cool:

It's definitely limited. Seems built for developers to figure out a use-case. For me, it's worth the trouble to see the image so big and clear. I can see 100% without zooming or cropping. Is it going to replace Capture One any time soon? Probably not. But it's got legs.

akaru

I've updated the video with the release version. I'll tell you whut...I'm happy with it, and I'm an eternal pessimist.

So much more work to do, but it's off to a great start. I'm taking the long road and I'll see you all there in a few years!

I'm just going to make it free, with an upgrade for sharpening (which to be honest I don't touch much these days...so the every day stuff like uplifting shadows is all there). Because, to be totally candid, I'll make as much with it free as paid (which is like $5 a week if I'm lucky), and with it being free I can let people enjoy themselves.

akaru

I have another app that I'm launching for free for this platform in a couple of weeks, and it'll also be available on iPhone and iPad. Looking for testers. PM me for a link that'll let you try it out for free. It's a weird one, but some of you are nerdy enough to get it. It lets you manipulate the histogram.