The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple MacBook Pro and SSD Storage Drives

diggles

Up for sale is a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" with the M1 Max processor, 64gb ram, and 1tb drive. It has sat on my desk since I got it and is used but like new condition (9.5/10). I am not able to take more extensive pictures because it is still in use. My replacement won't be here until the 11/16 so I won't be able to ship it out until after that time. It includes the box and all original packaging.

Also up for sale are some SSD drives and an OWC hub. The OWC drives have the same specs, but the "rugged" one is wrapped in a rubber protective layer. All of these drives are in very good condition and work as expected. I used the 2TB San Disk Extreme Pro to backup files while on location, but the rest of the drives just sat on my desk connected to the computer.

PayPal for payment and I'll cover fees. You pay shipping to your location.

Macbook Pro - $2,000 SOLD
San Disk Extreme Pro 4tb - $180 SOLD

San Disk Extreme Pro 2tb - $120 SOLD
2.0TB OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 (Rugged) - $120
2.0TB OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 (Rugged) - $90
OWC Thunderbolt Hub - $100 SOLD
LaCie 256GB SSD Rugged USB-C drive - $75

2.0TB OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3

Rugged High-Performance Ultra-Compact External SSD. Blazing fast with read speeds up to 2500MB/s! Rugged, pocket-sized, high-performance storage for demanding applications.

2.0TB OWC Envoy Pro EX Portable Solid-state Drive (SSD) with Thunderbolt 3
Compact, bus-powered, high-performance storage for demanding applications with integrated Thunderbolt 3 cable. The coloring on the top of the drive is a bit blotchy, not sure why this happened because it always just sat on my desk.

OWC Thunderbolt Hub
Add three Thunderbolt 4 ports and one USB port to greatly expand the connection possibilities of any Thunderbolt (USB-C) Mac or Thunderbolt 4 PC.

LaCie 256GB SSD Rugged USB-C drive
It has two different USB connectors on it. I use the USB-3 to USB-C with the pictured cable. I think the second connector is USB-2, not sure though. I don't have a cable for it.

IMG_2572.JPGmacbookpro.jpgScreenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.09.06 AM.pngIMG_2571.JPG

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

arichter

I hope you are well, Warren.

Can you confirm the m1 Max MacBook Pro is pretty much like new and has only been used in a home office context? If so, is it simply that you are upgrading to an m3 chip?

When you have an opportunity, please send additional photos of the computer my way of screen, ports, etc.

Thank you. Andy

diggles

I hope you are well, Warren.

Can you confirm the m1 Max MacBook Pro is pretty much like new and has only been used in a home office context? If so, is it simply that you are upgrading to an m3 chip?

When you have an opportunity, please send additional photos of the computer my way of screen, ports, etc.

Hey Andy,

Since I just use it on the desktop I am switching to a Mac Studio which just arrived yesterday. The MacBook Pro has only been used in a home office context. When I took the MacBook out of the wooden stand it was in I noticed that the stand caused the finish to wear. Pretty disappointing. The stand is lined with felt so I'm not sure why it wore the finish that way. Anyway, I took some more pictures so you can see what I am talking about. The wear is on both the front and back of the laptop. The area I am talking about is outlined by a yellow rectangle.

Also, there is a scratch on the back that is faint, but there. It is outlined by a yellow oval. The other mark outside of the yellow outline is dust. It isn't a scratch.

I'm not sure what to do now about selling the Macbook Pro. My plan was to sell it and keep my Macbook Air for tethering, but with the finish wear I may end up keeping the Macbook Pro and selling the Air.

Here are the pictures…

DSCF2171.jpgDSCF2174.jpgDSCF2175-finish.jpgDSCF2175.jpgDSCF2176-finish.jpgDSCF2176-scratch.jpgDSCF2176.jpgDSCF2179.jpg

arichter

Looks good, thank you for sending my way. As for functionality all is in order and working as should...looking to process 50mp and 100mp files.

Will consider everything and be in touch via PM if interested.

Thanks again, Andy

diggles

Hey Andy,

The configuration I use is to run my software on the computer and keep all of my working files on external SSD drives. I processed 100mp and 150mp 16-Bit files with this set up. After opening in Photoshop and adding 6 layers or more it is common for these files to be 3-5gb in size. Editing the files in Photoshop was quick, but saving the files was slow. I recently learned that if you turn off PSD and PSB file compression then saving and opening is much quicker. It is, but the files are much larger without compression. So the choice is to save time or save storage space.

Warren

arichter

Even with that amount of RAM it was slow, I am surprised...yet, those are not small files to save...especially if you are doing many. How much RAM did you add to your new machine, just curious? Probably no bottleneck with that machine...

Thank you again, will consider all and be in touch. Andy

diggles

Activity monitor showed that the system was using about 50 or so GB while working on big files. So it wasn't using the full amount of RAM, but I went with 96GB for the new one just to add some cushion. One thing I also discovered while researching all this is that adding RAM and Cores won't necessarily help Photoshop because it only uses a single core to save files and it only saves files at about 300mb / second no matter how much RAM or how fast your processor is. Video Editing and 3D Rendering programs benefit from multiple cores. I may not have the terminology right, but it is something like that.

I've found ArtIsRight videos to be very helpful. Here is one where he tests Pro Photo Workflows with M1/M2/M3 Max processors:

arichter

Thank you for sending on these links, they are very technical...yet, quite useful in terms of comparing machines/processors.