The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Building a scooter variation for tracking shots (video)

I'm planning to do a DIY project sometime soon. What I want to build is something with wheels that would allow me to attach a camera to it for tracking shots in filmmaking. This thing will be kind of like a variation of a scooter but more simplified in some ways. It won't turn - it will travel in a straight line only. It will still have a vertical pole to hold on to and I will also mount a camera to this pole with a clamp.

I'm going to use some of the ideas in this video to make it. Particularly the attachment of the wheels with a bolt and nuts and washes.

Though I would want wheels with rubber tires specifically as these would likely absorb vibrations from travelling over rough ground.

Would anyone have any idea on what kind of wheels I could search online for that are kind of similar to the ones shown in the video but also have rubber tires? And ideally, the inner holes would have to be the right size diameter for bolts to run through them.

Also, I would like to use a metal pole rather than wood. I don't suppose anyone could suggest a way that I could attach a metal pole to a wooden base in such a way that the bond is strong and secure? I would probably use a light weight metal like aluminium.

Last edited: