The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Carl Zeiss S-Topar A2 80mm

daz7

If you own a Sinar camera you can simply mount it in a collar to any Sinar board and use it with a behind-the-lens shutter (Sinar Auto aperture shutter)
You can mount this way any lens, including barrel lenses that would be otherwise impossible to use in a copal shutter.

Sinar Auto aperture shutter is large enough to mount any lens in front of the shutter or even behind for wide lenses - it's diameter is around 100mm.

It is very loud to operate but built like a tank and works flawlessly. I still use it sometimes.

Last edited:

TimoK

Any further information is also of interest.
It seems to be a very high quality lens. Well corrected for geometric distortions and chromatic aberrations.
I found that lens in Zeiss Virtual Museum. It was attached in aerial camera Kleinreihenbildner KRb 8/24 F, Oberkochen, 1989
There was also two almost same kind but older cameras with S-Topar AS 2/80mm. Also interesting to read.

I tried to make straight link to these cameras, but did not work. You'll find them searching Virtual Museum with word KRb 8/24 https://www.archive.zeiss.de//

buildbot

It seems to be a very high quality lens. Well corrected for geometric distortions and chromatic aberrations.
I found that lens in Zeiss Virtual Museum. It was attached in aerial camera Kleinreihenbildner KRb 8/24 F, Oberkochen, 1989
There was also two almost same kind but older cameras with S-Topar AS 2/80mm. Also interesting to read.

I tried to make straight link to these cameras, but did not work. You'll find them searching Virtual Museum with word KRb 8/24 https://www.archive.zeiss.de//
Wow, apparently corrected into IR...
Now I'm tempted. Looks easier to mount than some lenses I have!

lookbook

... I am very enthusiastic about the variety of solutions and tips.

Many thanks to you all ...
I wondered if it had an aperture, and one dubious eBay ad says it does.
There is an aperture that also closes in a fairly circular fashion. You can only see the aperture lever if you know it, also because there are no engraved aperture numbers.
In my photo directly above the red dot ...

lookbook

Well I looked at this lens also a while back and wondered how to use it … literally how to mount it at all. It seems to me that you need a machinist to build a custom lens board for a bellows type camera or sth like that to use it … it is a bit of a mystery why no one writes about it because the guy has been selling these for years yet there is no review anywhere …

Very curious too although a Contax Planar would most likely also have done the job …

It could be extremely sharp and well corrected or it could just be a bad lens with high CA etc .. when you read the guy’s description it almost sounds like it is this very special extremely sharp optic, but then again no real world proof or samples to be found …
... as it has been used in satellites, I hope that it has been specially designed for infrared photography.
This would make it a perfect match for my achromatic back.
Someone in Italy mounted it to a Linhof board...

View attachment 211311https://www.msmaterialefotografico.it/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/TUN_5158-scaled.jpg
... it fits perfectly on a linhof board, which in turn is compatible with many other systems!

Last edited:

lookbook

... it looks like it should be attached to a camera.
the simplest solution for me would be ...
Someone in Italy mounted it to a Linhof board...

View attachment 211311https://www.msmaterialefotografico.it/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/TUN_5158-scaled.jpg
Thank you very much @itsdoable

... I will start with that and test the lens ...

Of course, I'm also very keen to use it for my Arca.
But first I would like to know whether and how the lens is suitable for pictorial photography.
If a conversion for the ARCA is possible, it will be much more complex and expensive.
I hope you will be patient with me : )

Uwe

Doppler9000

The article daz7 linked to describes other lenses in the series are working with the KS-153 camera, along with a 610mm ‘Telikon’ lens.

Seems that these cameras were used in fighter aircraft, sometimes using an array with prisms. Here is an image on the camera with the 610.

buildbot

The article daz7 linked to describes other lenses in the series are working with the KS-153 camera, along with a 610mm ‘Telikon’ lens.

Seems that these cameras were used in fighter aircraft, sometimes using an array with prisms. Here is an image on the camera with the 610.
Now THAT is a camera!

rdeloe

A Linhof board is smaller than a 110mm x 110mm board for Arca-Swiss, so the same thing would be easy. @lookbook you mentioned that you are "not a great tinkerer". For a machinist, or someone who has a basement workshop, this would be straightforward. I don't know the dimensions of the part of the lens that goes through the hole, but a Copal 3 shutter needs a 65mm hole. If the lens would fit through the hole on a flat Copal 3 board for your Arca, then the "machining" would simply involve drilling four holes for the bolts to pass through so the lens can be attached to the board.

Last edited:

lookbook

A Linhof board is smaller than a 110mm x 110mm board for Arca-Swiss, so the same thing would be easy. @lookbook you mentioned that you are "not a great tinkerer". For a machinist, or someone who has a basement workshop, this would be straightforward. I don't know the dimensions of the part of the lens that goes through the hole, but a Copal 3 shutter needs a 65mm hole. If the lens would fit through the hole on a flat Copal 3 board for your Arca, then the "machining" would simply involve drilling four holes for the bolts to pass through so the lens can be attached to the board.
Many thanks for the tip Rob.

I haven't been familiar with Arca for very long and only have the R system so far.
(I also thought you were talking about the R system silly me)
I have had Linhof for years. Including the Techno.
That's why I want to try it first.

Uwe

rdeloe

Many thanks for the tip Rob.

I haven't been familiar with Arca for very long and only have the R system so far.
(I also thought you were talking about the R system silly me)
I have had Linhof for years. Including the Techno.
That's why I want to try it first.

Uwe
Silly me for assuming! Mounting it on an R system is more complicated. However, a Linhof Techno could be straightforward, and now we have a picture that proves it fits on the board!

lookbook

... many thanks @rdeloe,

i have often thought that the information content of written material is overrated! : )
Have a nice weekend ...

Uwe

daz7

It would fit to any large format monorail type camera, as you would then have enough space in the front of the sensor to accommodate the lens.
Also, you can easily adapt lens boards from other cameras in a larger system by using lens plate adaptors.
I would imagine this lens to work without issues in a Sinar P/P2 camera and alike.