The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV100C on Technical Camera

Niddiot

I have my back now, haven't seen it discussed but some fairly significant changes for me to using the back on a tech camera - for the good.

1) The live view now reflects the level of over/under exposure for the settings. If the old 50cii (moon version) did that I never found how to make it work.
2) It has a histogram on live view which again my moon version did not until playback.
3) Has Custom Overlays for the display allowing you to choose how many options for display (histogram is here)
4) ISO 64
5) Recessed on/off button
6) Swipe across in live view takes you to settings
7) Some cosmetic changes to where the icons are placed but not significant.

Will do some testing later on how much the BSI sensor improves 35HR and 47XL Digital for shading.

Paul Spinnler

Its the same chip as in the IQ4 and M11 cut to different sizes, with different electronics, so dynamic range varies and in-camera processing too.

P1 goes down to ISO 50, for example.

The 35S will show no LCC need, but all Rodie glass benefits from a sligtht LCC as there is a tinge of magenta, barely visible stemming from the retrofocus design still. I only realized this recently.

47XL should be also excellent with minimal CC.

Great purchase!

Paul Spinnler

Yes there is still some minor color cast even with Rodie glass and I always wondered why my blue skies on the 40 HR felt that they had a tinge of magenta and the. I realised that even the Digaron all benefit still from a slight LCC if you want complete neutrality.

The lens to get for the CFV100c is the 35 XL IMHO. You will be able to rise 17mm without problems with a CF.

The Digaron's IC is very limiting, which is why its value is so low despite it being a sharp HR lens.

Last edited:

Niddiot

Thanks, annoyingly I swapped out my 35xl for the Rodie. It is very sharp as you say but slightly limiting, although as I dont shoot architecture it is OK for what I do.

f8orbust

Thanks for starting this thread - have been looking around for reports of using this DB on a tech cam specifically, but virtually nothing out there beyond the info CI has posted or 'interpolated' opinion based on the sensor design. I think Linhof & Studio might be making some videos, but nothing posted on YouTube ... as yet.

Niddiot

Thanks for starting this thread - have been looking around for reports of using this DB on a tech cam specifically, but virtually nothing out there beyond the info CI has posted or 'interpolated' opinion based on the sensor design. I think Linhof & Studio might be making some videos, but nothing posted on YouTube ... as yet.
Mine came from Paula. Initial impressions are that it is a more significant upgrade than I was expecting in UI. The other thing, not unexpected I guess is how much the usable DR has improved.

Paul Spinnler

Wow. Now that is a reason to upgrade!
Have you seen this from testing it yourself?
Look at the discussion in the lens comparison thread. If you can rise X on the IQ4 it means you can rise X+7mm on the crop sensor as the short side of each sensor is 40 vs 33mm.

35XL on BSI gives you clean 10-15mm with OG CF. Add 7mm for the Hassy. It bears the Rodie 35S significantly in utility - zero distortion, massive shift on crop. Trade off: color cast and stopping down. Not a problem for stationary photography

marc aurel

Look at the discussion in the lens comparison thread. If you can rise X on the IQ4 it means you can rise X+7mm on the crop sensor as the short side of each sensor is 40 vs 33mm.

35XL on BSI gives you clean 10-15mm with OG CF. Add 7mm for the Hassy. It bears the Rodie 35S significantly in utility - zero distortion, massive shift on crop. Trade off: color cast and stopping down. Not a problem for stationary photography
Digital Transitions lens visualizer tool is very helpful for those questions (https://www.photo-digitaltransitions.com/support/lens-visualizer-tools/)

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-31 um 16.58.43.png

I used the GFX 100 because the new Hassy CVF 100C is not implemented in the tool

diggles

Digital Transitions lens visualizer tool is very helpful for those questions (https://www.photo-digitaltransitions.com/support/lens-visualizer-tools/)

View attachment 210363

I used the GFX 100 because the new Hassy CVF 100C is not implemented in the tool
Agreed that this is a great tool for visualizing published image circle sizes, but it doesn't provide a objective view of the resulting image. For example, you are going to have one hell of a mess to clean up if you shift your 35XL 16mm on the IQ4, the 43XL will be just a bit better, and the 28XL file will be unusable.

peterm1

From using the IC Visualizer tool, it looks like the 35XL and the Rodie 40HR have the same IC so should allow the same about of movement (putting aside color issues)? Or is that not right? Would there still be big differences in light falloff?

Thanks

Paul Spinnler

Agreed that this is a great tool for visualizing published image circle sizes, but it doesn't provide a objective view of the resulting image. For example, you are going to have one hell of a mess to clean up if you shift your 35XL 16mm on the IQ4, the 43XL will be just a bit better, and the 28XL file will be unusable.
Its not that bad. As mentioned I was able to fully clean up 13-15mm ish 35 XL on the IQ4. Its the perfect wide-angle for the new crop sensor and even got into the 20mm region with tiling which you can clean up in PS.

Its incredible value as a lens.

Here is around 22mm rise, almost hitting the top on my Max (top half with CF):

1706719027008.jpeg
LCC:

1706719068227.jpeg

Clean LCC:

1706719104728.jpeg

Cleaned up 35 SK XL on IQ4, 22mm rise (top part):

1706719152277.jpeg

You can see slight tiling error on the white thing on the right; on the 15mm rise I could completely get rid of it within C1.

Also the top part was very dark, so on a normal image this would be very fine. As said, I have the IIf filter, without it there will be less headroom.

The narrative that SK lenses are difficult on IQ4 is definitely wrong. These are the best lenses for architecture and they shine on BSI.

Price prediction:
28 XL beyond 10k
43, 60 XL -> 10k
35 XL -> 3-4k mid-term

I can clean up 28XL easily as well ... you just need to be careful when shooting and best do some frame averaging to have a good low noise base to correct.

If you have one of these gems – hold on to them. Fuji is NOT a replacement for the SK experience on tech cams. The complete lack of distortion and accurate representation of geometry wide into the corners is amazing and the CFV100c or shall I say BSI in general now provides access to these wonderful lenses – its a great thing and one is not forced to Rodenstock due to brutal color casts. In fact, BSI re-opens the door to the symmetric SK WAs and UWAs.

I am quite busy atm, but I will post more imagery once I had time to properly field test the 35 XL.

Last edited:
Reactions: usm

ruebe

I have my back now, haven't seen it discussed but some fairly significant changes for me to using the back on a tech camera - for the good.

1) The live view now reflects the level of over/under exposure for the settings. If the old 50cii (moon version) did that I never found how to make it work.
2) It has a histogram on live view which again my moon version did not until playback.
3) Has Custom Overlays for the display allowing you to choose how many options for display (histogram is here)
4) ISO 64
5) Recessed on/off button
6) Swipe across in live view takes you to settings
7) Some cosmetic changes to where the icons are placed but not significant.

Will do some testing later on how much the BSI sensor improves 35HR and 47XL Digital for shading.
i also use it on a tech cam and i too think it’s a very nice user experience. i especially like the live histogram and also exposure bracketing in ES mode.

on a side note: my copy shows „dead pixels“ in the live view (always the same few spots, see red dots in the picture). should i be worried about this or what’s going on here?

Attachments

diggles

The narrative that SK lenses are difficult on IQ4 is definitely wrong.
Thank you Paul for sending the sample images. I'm not making up a narrative, these are issues that I have seen when using these same lenses on the IQ4. All copies included the center filter that was designed for the lens.

My issue is not with these lenses, it is with exaggerated claims at how perfect they are. If someone believes these claims they will be very disappointed when using them in the field and expecting that they can get 22mm of clean sharp rise with the 35XL or 43XL or anywhere near that with the 28XL.

Here is an example of a RAW image taken with the 28XL with about 12-15mm rise:
P0003126-01.jpg

Here is the LCC
P0003127-02.jpg

Here is the LCC after applying processing it in C1
P0003127-04.jpg

Here is the image after applying the LCC correction in C1
P0003126-03.jpg

The top of the image was completely unusable because the light falloff was too severe for C1 to fix with LCC. I had to crop the image and completely rebuild the sky to get something out of it.
Screenshot-2024-02-01-at-12.06.54 PM.jpg

Here is the same scene with the GF30TS after automatic lens corrections and minimal exposure/color adjustments were applied in C1
DSCF3685.jpg

Here is the final edited file from the GF30TS
DSCF3685-edited.jpg

Yes. The 28XL, 35XL, and 43XL SK lenses can be fantastic tools for architectural photography, but it comes with a cost. You have to be prepared to deal with issues like I illustrated above. If using a lens with no distortion outweighs all the other associated costs, then you will be happy. If dealing with these types of issues doesn't sound good to you then I would recommend going in a different direction.

TechTalk

i also use it on a tech cam and i too think it’s a very nice user experience. i especially like the live histogram and also exposure bracketing in ES mode.

on a side note: my copy shows „dead pixels“ in the live view (always the same few spots, see red dots in the picture). should i be worried about this or what’s going on here?
There is a Sensor Calibration function in the Service menu. This may correct your issue with some pixels not being properly displayed in live view. See pages 123 and 124 in the CFV 100C user manual.

You can also see how Sensor Calibration functions in this video at the 13:00 minute mark. If that doesn't correct the issue, contact Hasselblad support.

Paul Spinnler

Thank you Paul for sending the sample images. I'm not making up a narrative, these are issues that I have seen when using these same lenses on the IQ4. All copies included the center filter that was designed for the lens.

My issue is not with these lenses, it is with exaggerated claims at how perfect they are. If someone believes these claims they will be very disappointed when using them in the field and expecting that they can get 22mm of clean sharp rise with the 35XL or 43XL or anywhere near that with the 28XL.

Here is an example of a RAW image taken with the 28XL with about 12-15mm rise:
View attachment 210404

Here is the LCC
View attachment 210403

Here is the LCC after applying processing it in C1
View attachment 210401

Here is the image after applying the LCC correction in C1
View attachment 210402

The top of the image was completely unusable because the light falloff was too severe for C1 to fix with LCC. I had to crop the image and completely rebuild the sky to get something out of it.
View attachment 210399

Here is the same scene with the GF30TS after automatic lens corrections and minimal exposure/color adjustments were applied in C1
View attachment 210400

Here is the final edited file from the GF30TS
View attachment 210398

Yes. The 28XL, 35XL, and 43XL SK lenses can be fantastic tools for architectural photography, but it comes with a cost. You have to be prepared to deal with issues like I illustrated above. If using a lens with no distortion outweighs all the other associated costs, then you will be happy. If dealing with these types of issues doesn't sound good to you then I would recommend going in a different direction.
Thanks for this post!

A few comments:

I think the point here is that SK glass on BSI is fully and easily correctable to a certain extent that's dependent on the orientation and on a per lens basis to a certain shift amount in mm. Your example above is too much rise for the 28XL in portrait mode on a very wide lens.

My point on the 35 XL was that I think in landscape orientation you can go to somewhere between 12-15 without any issue. If you shoot SK glass at F11 anyway you can make an LCC preset in C1 and literally at that f-stop for typical rise levels both in landscape and portrait mode make LCC plates which then takes a second to invoke once you ingest images. You can even bulk apply them in C1.

So let's say SK28XL_L_F11_R5_L0 for a shot with the SK28 at f11 with 5mm rise in landscape mode. By trial and error you define for yourself which are the best useable increments. On the Alpa you can exchange the shift rails and commission your own custom ones with preset stops (you can still go to any mm, it just nicely clicks into your target stops). All my Alpa cameras have custom shift rails. My STC for example 5,10,15,18.

In the case of the image above I would have just used landscape Rise 10 or 15 and stepped back enough (should be NOT THAT much with a 28 XL!) and then cropped it. Of course if you create these extreme shifts it won't clean up. 22mm rise on 35 XL is also rather extreme. 15 is already very good in landscape and full frame MFD.

I am actually curious to profile a few of my lenses systematically like this. As distortion is fully corrected, its just an important one time thing to do and then selecting from the drop down menu going forward. With Alpa's shift rails you can constrain your shooting to be at 5, 10, 15, 18 rise increments anyhow so 4 presets are sufficient in one orientation. You can of course go fully berserk and do 4 plates centred, 4 plates with 10mm left, 18mm left, 10mm right, 18mm right, etc.

So IMHO the SK lenses are excellent tools. They are extremely compact, weigh next to nothing, can be used with film, on a variety of cameras and backs and, with the right technique are effortless tools. You need to know them inside out though, right, meaning which lens goes to which rise level to fully clean up.

Then you need to use the right technique, ideally in difficult circumstances frame average so noise floor is super low.

The Fuji is heavy and bulky in comparison to SK glass, also costs 4.5k, is not intuitive to stitch and is bound to the Fuji camera. So besides its sharpness and colour cast lessness it has also downsides compared to the tech cam path. Lack of modularity, rectiliniearity are big topics for me, so I am happy to stay in the SK corner.

So IMHO its a question of knowing how to use the tools at your disposal in a smart way and then SK glass is very useable on BSI and the limitations are easily managed by shifting systematically, working with C1's fantastic LCC preset feature and by changing your position or cropping to get the right framing while working within pre-set rise increments. Still, between 5, 10, 15mm rise one should be sble to capture the shot ...

An IQ4 gives you 150 megapixels – stepping a bit back with the 28 XL, keeping it at 15 or 10, cropping, will give you a nice 100 megapixel file in no time.

Last edited:

guphotography

Its not that bad. As mentioned I was able to fully clean up 13-15mm ish 35 XL on the IQ4. Its the perfect wide-angle for the new crop sensor and even got into the 20mm region with tiling which you can clean up in PS.

I can clean up 28XL easily as well ... you just need to be careful when shooting and best do some frame averaging to have a good low noise base to correct.

If you have one of these gems – hold on to them. Fuji is NOT a replacement for the SK experience on tech cams. The complete lack of distortion and accurate representation of geometry wide into the corners is amazing and the CFV100c or shall I say BSI in general now provides access to these wonderful lenses – its a great thing and one is not forced to Rodenstock due to brutal color casts. In fact, BSI re-opens the door to the symmetric SK WAs and UWAs.

I am quite busy atm, but I will post more imagery once I had time to properly field test the 35 XL.
You have a much better copy than mine!

Paul Spinnler

Yes, my copy is fantastic – it is an Alpa calibrated one with bare signs of use. You can send yours to Greiner for a calibration check and potential fix against repair fee. Or you might need to swap the shutter. I replaced a shutter on my 60 XL with a brand new one and sharpness was markedly increased in the corners when shifting.

Alpa double checks each lens before it is sold after receiving it. They sent my 138 back to Rodenstock due to it not being 100% perfect when shifting fully on the Pano!

Also - I use the IIf CF; without it, falloff is high when shifting.