The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 50mm F1 Aspherical Z Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

I finally got it - my first, and probably last f/1.0 lens :)

I would not normally buy such a large aperture lens - they are usually very big and heavy - but this one I can manage (manual focus included).

The manufacturer page for the lens: https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/z-mount/nokton-50mm-f1-aspherical/

In researching this lens I went through a long Fred Miranda thread about the M mount version, which was released one year before the Z mount version: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1741370 That thread reviews and discusses the M mount lens on Leica and Sony (w adaptor) cameras. I understand that Cosina is also releasing a Canon R mount version.

The Z version appears to have the same optical diagram as the M version, but a different body size and style, and a smaller minimum focus distance.

Cosina states that "This product is developed and manufactured under a license agreement with Nikon Corporation". As a result, it supports Nikon Z IBIS (3 axes) and all 3 types of manual focus support. The aperture diaphragm has 12 blades, and the clicked aperture ring (front of the lens) enables precise selection in 1/3 of a stop intervals.

So far I only had one session with the lens, on my Z6. I found it to be reasonably large, but quite heavy. Manual focus is smooth and easy, even at f/1.0. Vignetting is clearly present, and a little axial color aberration is visible in high contrast areas wide open. The corners are a bit soft wide open, but improve with stopping down.

I definitely need more time with the lens to learn its strong and weak points. So far I can tell that it is quite sharp, with nice colors and contrast, even at f/1.0

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Had to switch to f/1.4 because it was too bright for f/1.0 :)
Vignetting reduced in NX Studio (+50 out of 200):

Nikon Z6, Voigtländer Nokton 50mm F1 Aspherical Z, 1/8000 sec, f/1.4, ISO 100 (Stone House, Manassas National Battlefield Park, Virginia, August 2023)

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Funky bokeh?

At f/1:

Nikon Z6, Voigtländer Nokton 50mm F1 Aspherical Z, 1/4000 sec, f/1, ISO 100, -0.7 EC, VR Off (Green Spring Gardens, Alexandria, Virginia, August 2023)

At f/2.8:

Nikon Z6, Voigtländer Nokton 50mm F1 Aspherical Z, 1/400 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100, -0.7 EC, VR Off (Green Spring Gardens, Alexandria, Virginia, August 2023)

Darin Marcus

And even on the front side, if you place it on a table nose down. Congrats on the lens. I love mine.
Thank you.

Mine does not have felt on the side - the interior felt extends maybe a hair past the edge of the front side, but the actual front side is clean metal.

However, mine has something else - a loose aperture blade o_O
It is now visible across the center of the lens at f/1, and is pushed to the side as I close the aperture, but comes back in full view when I dial back to f/1.
Not sure how that happened, since I have always handled the lens/camera carefully - never dropped, never bumped it against anything.

Will have to send it for repair. In the mean time, I will continue to post photos that I've already taken with it.