The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dear Phase One - it's 2015! Where is my modern FF back??!

Ken_R

Not to mention that the various Sony rumor/news sites haven't talked about their making an MF camera in a long time.

I'd love an MF version of the RX1, but don't see in happening.
Yeah, looks like Sony is focusing on their full frame FE system. The A7RII looks like the camera that might make people drop their full frame pro DSLRs. The next generation of the A7 will surely finish the job.

I also do not see Sony stepping in the MFD manufacturer's toes. They are happy with them as their clients, for now. :cool:

torger

I was just out shooting with my Linhof Techno, using my trusty loupe to focus on the ground glass. Then sliding in the CCD shooting at ISO50. Damn I'm old school!

Did I say I used a grad filter too?

tjv

I guess you and I are kindred spirits. I'm loving using the Techno with bright GG. I'm yet to miss focus, at any aperture, under a range of light. Like you, I'm welded to 50iso. No grad filters, though!

And for the record, the DR of the Dalsa CCD is brilliant. I'm yet to run out of headroom or plug up the shadows.

I was just out shooting with my Linhof Techno, using my trusty loupe to focus on the ground glass. Then sliding in the CCD shooting at ISO50. Damn I'm old school!

Did I say I used a grad filter too?

torger

I guess you and I are kindred spirits. I'm loving using the Techno with bright GG. I'm yet to miss focus, at any aperture, under a range of light. Like you, I'm welded to 50iso. No grad filters, though!

And for the record, the DR of the Dalsa CCD is brilliant. I'm yet to run out of headroom or plug up the shadows.
I'm probably overusing my grads a bit, but I find them kind of fun to use. I like to shoot in stable light conditions when I can work.... very.... slooow... :)

I think the old-school tech cam ways are disappearing rapidly now though, soon anything but CMOS live view will be unthinkable to new users. And sure, when I get one where I can do movements without worrying about casts and crosstalk then I'll be very interested. Phase One's pricing has always been impossible for me though, but maybe Hassy will continue the CFV pricing strategy.

Although I for my current focal lengths really love the old 49x37 size, I think I can live with 44x33 by adding another wide. Just give me live view and a CMOS that doesn't suffer from crosstalk as much.

I'm not sure if the 645 full-frame will survive in the longer term, the returns of the larger size is really diminishing and production costs may not motivate it. If we have live view and electronic viewfinders the size of the viewfinder can be as large as we'd like regardless of sensor size. In the short term Phase One needs to get one though as their current camera system is designed for 645, and it will come I'm sure, it will be super-expensive, and it will almost totally kill off the CCD range for new sales unless they do a radical price cut.

That a full-frame CMOS probably will make their CCD range obsolete (except possibly for old-school tech cam users that still care about movements) I guess makes it not so easy to launch.

f8orbust

+1

Which type of sensor gives the best IQ under optimal conditions is open to debate (I still think that, bathed in light, the image from a CCD chip has a certain something), but in terms of ease of use, CMOS is just so far ahead.

Which means that when a full-frame CMOS chip appears, it's going to be the one 99% of people want, either to buy or hire. In a stroke it could totally undermine the rationale of continued CCD MFDB manufacture. Which presents a bit of a quandary if you're business has been built on selling CCD backs.

Jim