The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Thorkil

I still have lots of Nikon accs to give away. Btw, i do use quite a few Nikon lenses.

The UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 is one of them.

Also, becasue of the past association, i tolerate Nikon maniacs as well. :)
(PS. you shall be very welcome Vivek, of course :) )

rayyan

And I do love the weather.

Sunny, warm, dry. With slightly overcast lighting. Perfect for photographs..even light. Smiles all round :D

Even in mono....

p.s the images don't do justice, as they were taken with a Fuji and not a Df.

Thorkil

;);) Yes Rayyan, cheers from warm and sunny Italy, I'm afraid both weather, Copenhagen itself and the people can be boring...
But if everything goes wrong....we have all the museums..:shocked:...and Steen and I might be able to do some
practice in really long lectures about danish painters etc. :lecture::lecture:..:LOL:
thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil...enjoy Italy, my friend.

I have never found the Scandinavians, Danes included, to be boring. You just have to break the ice with them. Just like anywhere else..
Warm and sunny...I need a break from that :)

Best regards.

Thorkil

Thorkil...enjoy Italy, my friend.

I have never found the Scandinavians, Danes included, to be boring. You just have to break the ice with them. Just like anywhere else..
Warm and sunny...I need a break from that :)

Best regards.
Thanks Rayyan! Yes Danes can be a bit reserved I think. Perhaps it's the weather. Some years ago they claimed we were the happiest people in the world, but at the same time almost 800.000 danes were eating "Happy-pills" out of a total of 5 mio. So they must have asked their questions after they have eaten the daily pill :rolleyes: In daily life I would consider Italiens to be more happy.
But you a right, after a month in the warm and sunny summeritaly, it can be a relief to come back in grey and rainy weather. And somehow that sort of weather can sometimes almost have a liberating effect on the mind.
best thorkil

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

true stores and food markets, nice

© • click for actual pixels

© • Nikon Df • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/6 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D [b805_DFA_4680]

© • Nikon Df • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/200 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D • [b807_DFA_4954]

© • Nikon Df • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/60 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D • [b809_DFA_4964]

© • Nikon Df • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D • [b811_DFA_4884]

© • Nikon Df • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/200 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D • [b813_DFA_4947]

© • Nikon Df • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/85mm G • 1/320 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 400 • Capture NX-D • [b815_DFA_4976]

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

My position is still the same as I posted a couple of weeks ago (post #510).

"At the moment I fully enjoy the retro full frame Df, but long term I believe that a used D810 is a more advanced and adequate solution for me.
Sort of a sweet spot with its 36 Mp, the sufficient amount of millions to avoid the need of a blurring filter on an FX sensor.
So far the D810 is just too expensive for my taste and for my wallet.
(...)
Patiently waiting for the D810 to come down in price is no problem, as at the moment I very much enjoy shooting the little charming retro Df.
So I'm not in a hurry to make any changes from what I use now.
And there's a lot to like with the Df and its charming 'analogue' retro design and its FX sensor with the big fat pixels."

That said, I want to add that in my opinion the 24Mp sensor used in D610 and D750 is every bit as good as the 16Mp sensor in the Df.
I had the 24Mp sensor in the D610 and I believe it is the same sensor used in D750. It's excellent.
So my advice to buyers of a new general purpose FX camera would be to go with a D750 that can be had at nearly half the price of the Df.
Or to go with the high-end 36Mp D810 if the economy allows that.
Just my 0.02

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So my advice to buyers of a new general purpose FX camera would be to go with a D750 that can be had at nearly half the price of the Df.
Or to go with the high-end 36Mp D810 if the economy allows that.
Just my 0.02
Yeah but... ( ;) ;) ;) )

There is a certain unquantifiable "look" to the 16MP Df sensor that I very much like --- and I do not see in the 750's 24MP sensor. Just sayin...

Thorkil

I'm sorry to say Steen, and although that I've only got a D800E a few month...I'm tending to be with Jack. I just cant see myself selleng the Df, I really like it. I'm fully satiesfied Nikon-wise with the Df. It has just charmed me.
So I think, no matter what happens I will keep it.
Any opinion, by the way, on a Nikkor 135/2.0 DC? Should one go for this instead of the new astonishing and outstanding sharp Sigma 135/1.8, while the bokeh might look better on the nikkor than the Sigma?
Thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Any opinion, by the way, on a Nikkor 135/2.0 DC? Should one go for this instead of the new astonishing and outstanding sharp Sigma 135/1.8, while the bokeh might look better on the nikkor than the Sigma?
Thorkil
Not sure if you were asking Steen or generally. My .02 on the 135 DC: Great lens *IF* you get a good copy. Some have been problematic regarding holding lens alignment; the elements are reportedly too heavy for the DC mechanism to hold them well over time plus jostling. IMHO the 105 is the better DC, and in that I own one, I basically NEVER use the DC feature! So if I were doing it again, I would probably just get the 105/2.8 AF-D instead -- but since my 105 DC is so nice, I'm good with it. For that reason, if I wanted a fast-ish 135 I'd go for the Sigma. HOWEVER, that now said, the 180/2.8 AF-D is a remarkable lens at a great pricepoint, AND I much prefer the 180 focal to the 135 for compressed portraits -- and since I own the 180 I have zero interest in a 135. All meant respectfully, YMMV and this is my .02 only!

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not sure if you were asking Steen or generally. My .02 on the 135 DC: Great lens *IF* you get a good copy. Some have been problematic regarding holding lens alignment; the elements are reportedly too heavy for the DC mechanism to hold them well over time plus jostling. IMHO the 105 is the better DC, and in that I own one, I basically NEVER use the DC feature! So if I were doing it again, I would probably get the 105/1.8 AFD instead -- but since my 105 DC is so nice, I'm good with it. For that reason, if I wanted a fast-ish 135 I'd go for the Sigma. HOWEVER, that now said, the 180/2.8 AF-D is a remarkable lens at a great pricepoint, AND I much prefer the 180 focal to the 135 for compressed portraits -- and since I own the 180 I have zero interest in a 135. All meant respectfully, YMMV and this is my .02 only!
Let me add a couple of points regarding 135 vs. 180mm:
While I agree that the 180mm is ideal for compressed portraits, I mostly found it too long for street work, so I sold it. Now I use the Samyang 135mm f/2 for that, and I'm very happy with that both optically and physically. It's manual focus though, but it's a fantastic bargain.

105/1.8 AFD? Are you sure?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
105/1.8 AF D? Are you sure?
Idiot typing alert -- I corrected it to the *2*.8. I always liked that lens, and for some things the macro is a plus.

Re the 135, I just never got along very well with that focal for some reason, always seem to prefer a little looser or tighter; hence the 105 or 180...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Idiot typing alert -- I corrected it to the *2*.8. I always liked that lens, and for some things the macro is a plus.

Re the 135, I just never got along very well with that focal for some reason, always seem to prefer a little looser or tighter; hence the 105 or 180...
That's actually a very nice lens, and it's always useful to have a macro lens in the bag. I sold mine many years ago. Maybe time to...

Thorkil

Thank you Jack and Jörgen for your thoughts! Yes I was asking in generel :)
The weight of the Sigma 135/1.8 ART is 1130 gram, which will be nasty in a wrist strap after some few hours, but I'm very impressed by the sharpness
Jack, if I would go around 180mm I perhaps would consider the Nikkor 200/4 ED Micro instead, but perhaps then end up with a Sigma 150/2.8 APO OS instead for the stabilization and more human size/weight. (even though the AF is reported to be often non-nailing)
Jörgen, I need AF :angel:
I think if Henning at Foto-C will lend me both the Sigma 135/1.8 and the 150/2.8 for an hour, I will give them a try in Nyhavn (but then I must try to keep away from the Glenfiddich...:shocked:)
best Thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My biggest concern is the weight of the 135 ART -- it is so heavy, it might never be in my bag when I wanted it... That and the need for AF might bring me back to the 135 DC at similar size -- but almost a pound lighter -- if I had to have a 135. But then the ART will be a spectacular performer, so a tough call...
~~~

The 200 macro is an outstanding lens, but it is f4 and there is a look to the 180 at 2.8 that is glorious on people. Plus there is the cost difference. The 180 is a relative bargain in the Nikon AF line, and it is surprisingly light and compact for it's focal, very easy to keep in the bag.

Since I sold my 85 PC-E -- which was a surprisingly good ½ life-size macro -- the 105 macro is back on my radar. But then there is a classic look to the 105DC that I love. (Actually it and the 28/1.4 asph AND the 180/2.8 share a common "heritage" look and are my favorites on the Df. The 50/1.2 was another that shared the look, but my failing eyes appreciate AF these days.) Anyway, I don't need 2 105 primes, so for now I'm sticking with the look -- and lack of expense -- with keeping the DC :)

Thorkil

Yes its a tough decisions. You are right Jack, after the first 2-3 weeks honeymoon, the weight will cure the enthusiasm .
I was just considering the Zeiss 135 for its beautiful colourdrawing and soft elegant out of focus definitions. But manual, while aging....?!
The out of focus drawing in the Sigma 135 ART isn't that nice in some of the pictures, actually in some pictures with plenty of small structures rather unpleasent, here Nikon and Zeiss will do a better job

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The out of focus drawing in the Sigma 135 ART isn't that nice in some of the pictures, actually in some pictures with plenty of small structures rather unpleasent,
I was not aware and poor oof rendering, the few images I've seen looked pretty good. Regardless, that would be a deal-killer for me, especially on a fast med tele, since "pretty oof" is my whole reason to buy fast glass in the first place...

Thorkil

PS. you might be right Jack, the Nikkor 135 DC seems to render in a soft old fashion way, creamy, deliciously, yet sharp in an smooth "unsticky" way. And one might then leave the DC at zero, not to overdo it in an artificial way.
thorkil