The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full frame Foveon - has the need passed?

biglouis

I decided to post this here rather than the L mount forum in the spirit of the history that this sub-forum is where a dedicated and stubborn group of users used to post Sigma DPxM photos. IIRC we were a quirky bunch of owners who had a love/hate relationship with our Sigma cameras.

This is the latest update on a full frame Foveon sensor.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/69956...on-x3-sensor-will-be-ready-sometime-this-year

I abandoned all my Sigma DP cameras (DP2M, DP3M and DP0Q) when I purchased the Fuji GFX50S (followed later by the 50R). After all, it seemed pointless to own a theoretical 40mpx camera when I actually owned a true 50mpx sensor camera.

I don't regret it. Although I really liked the DPxMs, and especially the DP3M which I still contend was actually the best of the whole bunch. But their downright difficult-to-work-with characteristics were even more highlighted by the Fuji MF cameras - even if they were a lot smaller in size and weight.

Given that you can now buy ridiculously high megapixel FF and even APS-C cameras I do wonder why Sigma continues to pursue the Foveon dream. I think the three layer sensor was 'of its time' but hardly makes sense any more.

Just my two cents

LouisB

iiiNelson

Having never owned a Foveon sensor camera, there are times it intrigued me. I think the relevance in the market place will come down to what need does it solve, how will Sigma/L-mount support it in marketing and then after the sale. While I agree that the theoretical resolution has always been somewhat misleading to those that don’t or can’t understand the white paper, as you said, there are actual high res cameras to own these days. Obviously we are in different times compared to back when you needed a digital back to crack 30 megapixels.

I honestly think the Foveon camera will flop and everything that isn’t a Canon or Sony will be relegated to some form of a “niche” product.

ggibson

No doubt it will be a niche product.

I would love to see this new camera continue in the vein of the DPs or even FP, where portability and high image quality are the emphasis. Sigma's line of Contemporary i lenses would fit that concept well.

I'm also finding myself thinking about selling my beloved DP3m. It's fallen out of the rotation for me in the last few years, and its IQ has been surpassed by my Sony cameras. The small size and weight is still compelling. I actually like the simplicity of controls and handling of the camera still. Sigma does have a good insight into this I think.

scho

I still own and occasionally use my Sigma DP2M and DP1M (FS), but as you have all noted these cameras have been surpassed by newer technology and higher true resolution cameras. Another camera I hung onto and hoped for some evolutionary progression was the GXR, but sadly it also deadended.

TechTalk

I certainly hope that researchers and scientists continue developing and improving upon Sigma/Foveon's efforts and desire to capture full color data in a single shot. I've been working with multi-shot for the past 25 years in order to capture full color data and reduce the loss of clarity due to interpolating too little color information. I would much rather do it in one shot.

As long as sensors are covered with filters blocking two-thirds of the visible color spectrum at the time you decide to take your shot and actually capturing only one-third, I would say that the need has not passed. If the attitude had existed that CMOS will always be noisy and inferior in dynamic range compared to CCD, so why keep working on trying to improve it, we wouldn't have the incredible CMOS sensors that we now enjoy.

Full color capture still makes sense. You go Sigma and others trying to improve on the status quo. I'm all for it and looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I certainly hope that researchers and scientists continue developing and improving upon Sigma/Foveon's efforts and desire to capture full color data in a single shot. I've been working with multi-shot for the past 25 years in order to capture full color data and reduce the loss of clarity due to interpolating too little color information. I would much rather do it in one shot.

As long as sensors are covered with filters blocking two-thirds of the visible color spectrum at the time you decide to take your shot and actually capturing only one-third, I would say that the need has not passed. If the attitude had existed that CMOS will always be noisy and inferior in dynamic range compared to CCD, so why keep working on trying to improve it, we wouldn't have the incredible CMOS sensors that we now enjoy.

Full color capture still makes sense. You go Sigma and others trying to improve on the status quo. I'm all for it and looking forward to seeing what you can do.
I’m all on improving the status quo… I think a lot will come down to software integration in standardized workflows. If there’s a reliance on Sigma software instead of LR, C1, Photoshop, etc. then it’ll limit the adoption rate IMO.