The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi there Jørgen, just wondering (and out of curiosity :eek:): in what way did you have to adjust those settings ?

TIA.

Kind regards.
I'm still working on it. The first thing I did after the above photos were taken was to set an FN button (I chose FN4) to change between normal and panning IS modes. I've always been shooting action using cameras without IS and with the GX8 I quickly learned that the wrong setting can easily lead to blurred photos.

Secondly, I've started reading the pages about AF in the user's manual. There are many of those pages and they have to be read to be able to get optimum results out of this camera. This isn't different from other cameras that have advanced AF settings, but having used Nikon bodies for many years, I kind of thought I knew my stuff. I didn't.

With AF-C and tracking mode, it's very important to learn how the camera "sees" objects and what can make it lose it. This can only be learned by practicing, so I will practice.

When all this is said, I'm actually quite impressed by the camera's tracking abilities, at least with native Panasonic lenses. The viewfinder have some limitations when it comes to following moving objects in burst mode, but that's a known issue with most mirrorless cameras, although I believe the E-M1 II and the GH5 have mostly solved this. It's probably just as much a question of processing capacity as it is a challenge for the electronic viewfinder itself.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The only reason anyone needs to buy a m4/3 camera, the Zuiko 75mm.

Sorry for the lighting. It was taken late at night in the exceptionally terrible lighting of a crematorium backyard at a Buddhist temple in downtown Pattaya.

GX8 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My father passed away last Monday at the age of 91. Although he had been physically handicapped all his life and had spent the last 10 years in a wheelchair, he was mentally very strong until the last week. The evening before he died, he stated very clearly that enough was enough and that he would like to leave, which he did the following morning without drama of any kind.

There were traditional Buddhist funeral rites for three days that culminated with the cremation yesterday, and the spreading of his ashes on the Bay of Siam according to his own wishes early this morning. A great journey has come to an end.

The photo is from the ceremony this morning, my brother to the left, then my father's wife and her family.

GX8 with Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 20mm and f/5

Last edited:

pegelli

My father passed away last Monday at the age of 91. Although he had been physically handicapped all his life and had spent the last 10 years in a wheelchair, he was mentally very strong until the last week. The evening before he died, he stated very clearly that enough was enough and that he would like to leave, which he did the following morning without drama of any kind.
My condolences to you and your family Jorgen. It's great you can remember your father this way and keep good memories of his life and passing.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

There were traditional Buddhist funeral rites for three days that culminated with the cremation yesterday, and the spreading of his ashes on the Bay of Siam according to his own wishes early this morning. A great journey has come to an end.

The photo is from the ceremony this morning, my brother to the left, then my father's wife and her family.
My sincere condolences Jorgen!

Great that he could go in peace!

biglouis

Thank goodness for some strong sunshine (at last!) here in the UK. Makes taking backyard bird photographs so much better. Both with the GX8 and Lumix Leica DG 100-400.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you all for your condolences. Even on sad occasions, there's room for another photo:

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 85mm and f/2.8

mediumcool

Thank you all for your condolences. Even on sad occasions, there's room for another photo:

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 85mm and f/2.8

I am not at all religious, but Buddhism seems to be one of the most effective pathways in dealing with the mysteries of life, and death—humans need appropriate ritual to help in resolving grief and sorrow.