The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica Compact Cameras

pegelli

From a walk around the National Trust's Kingston Lacy this morning.
C Typ 112.
I like the lion, the texture of that sculpture is nicely accentuated. However I have the feeling some of the red leaves are outside the sRGB gamut

KeithDM

Thanks. When it comes to such things as 'gamut' and 'colour spaces' I am somewhat of an ignoramus, not helped by my preference for monochrome photography!
Looking at the histogram, the red does not seem to be over-saturated (see screenshot). I'm working with a 15" MacBook Pro Retina display & LR Classic, exporting in sRGB. Out of curiosity I have re-exported in ProPhoto RGB and there does appear to be a little more detail in some of the leaves but that may have no benefit depending on how other people's browsers are handling colours. All a bit of a mystery to me! :)
Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 11.33.51.png

ProPhoto RGB

Red&Shiny.jpg

JoelM

Years ago, I had an older Nikon, D3, I think. It could not handle reds at all. The newer cameras via sensor and software can do a much better job with the color gamut.

pegelli

The histogram you see in Lightroom (which is what I think you're showing) is very close to the ProPhoto RGB histogram. My browser is colour managed, so I can see the better red detail in your second version.
Exporting to sRGB squashes some detail out of the oversaturated reds. If you want to see the effect in lightroom select "soft proofing" and select sRGB as the profile to simulate, Then you'll see something very close to the version in your first post.

KeithDM

Thanks, Pieter. I just tried that and yes, the reds do clip. Will endeavour to remember that check next time I photograph similar subjects!

dave.gt

Still enjoying the X1 and it still rides along in my Billingham, everywhere I go. 😇

Sunrise the morning after by Leica X1:
View attachment 202433
A side note:

Lately I have been working every day to set exposures without a light meter. Phone apps are at best hit or miss. And clip-on or pocket/handheld meters are just too much hassle with inherent misses as well in our area with blinding bright sunlight, inky dark shadows, and variable weather seemingly by the hour.

So far, I’m delighted with my progress and I check myself at least a dozen times daily using the X1 as a check on my estimated settings. Who needs Polaroids?😂

As small as the X1 is, I look forward to not needing to use it for checking exposures. This has been a good exercise for me as I now look at exposures much differently now. And, it is fun therapy for me. And it has been enlightening.

dave.gt

Time for dreaming as the Fall Season is really just around the corner… even if it is seemingly impossible. (Please note that we live in a severely difficult location for astrophotography.)

Leica X1:

Milky Way Rising Above the Tree Leica S 7-26-19.jpeg

Milky Way from Backyard 7-26-19.jpeg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Since I use my X1 daily, the old batteries are becoming a pain to use only because of having to re-charge them so often.🥵

I have seen inexpensive Wasabi batteries, but…. 🤷🏼‍♂️…has anyone found reliable 3rd party batteries? Or is the BHPhoto battery still the best option?