The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images 2023

Thorkil

Hello John
When the Internet only began to work only about 25 years ago, and did not give the opportunity to google everything (I clearly remember the slow slow -high sound of the ISDN modem), as today, it was very limited what options one had to check if an importer spoke true (or whether he only had contact with 1 breach/mine in the area)
Sadly enough, at that time I could do nothing but trust that the importer spoke true when he said that Porthmadog slate was no longer available in the dimensions we needed (30 x 60 cm). And I thought in my naivety that there was only 1 mine in Porthmadog, and not as you are unfolding. So I had to rely on the Spanish slate he presented, and as I approved, was our only option. However, the Spanish did not have the same quality at all, or the same superfine and smooth surface. Whether the actually reason was that the cost of the big dimension Porthmadog had risen so sharply that he would rather sneak around and get a higher profit (/or less loss) on the Spanish slate, I couldn't check. Sadly enough, but so are the conditions in construction projects sometimes. And especially if scaffolding allready are ticking money, healthy and swift decisions will be required so that the construction does not stop, and the money runs out of the pocket.
Today it probably hadn't gone that way ...
:)

jlancasterd

Hello John
When the Internet only began to work only about 25 years ago, and did not give the opportunity to google everything (I clearly remember the slow slow -high sound of the ISDN modem), as today, it was very limited what options one had to check if an importer spoke true (or whether he only had contact with 1 breach/mine in the area)
Sadly enough, at that time I could do nothing but trust that the importer spoke true when he said that Porthmadog slate was no longer available in the dimensions we needed (30 x 60 cm). And I thought in my naivety that there was only 1 mine in Porthmadog, and not as you are unfolding. So I had to rely on the Spanish slate he presented, and as I approved, was our only option. However, the Spanish did not have the same quality at all, or the same superfine and smooth surface. Whether the actually reason was that the cost of the big dimension Porthmadog had risen so sharply that he would rather sneak around and get a higher profit (/or less loss) on the Spanish slate, I couldn't check. Sadly enough, but so are the conditions in construction projects sometimes. And especially if scaffolding allready are ticking money, healthy and swift decisions will be required so that the construction does not stop, and the money runs out of the pocket.
Today it probably hadn't gone that way ...
:)
Hello Thorkil

I suspect that your supplier wasn't being entirely truthful, especially as Spanish slate has been much cheaper (but much less durable) than Welsh slate for many years.

Even if there was a temporary shortage of Blaenau blue-grey slates, there were other quarries in North Wales that could have supplied slates of equal quality and similar colour. For instance, Penrhyn Quarry (the Welsh Slate Company) at Bethesda is still producing slates in a whole range of different colours 700 years after it was first dug. At one time it was the biggest open-pit quarry in the world, and had its own railway to take the slates to wharves near Bangor.

Thorkil

Hello John
No, the larger contractors rarely tell the truth when discreet circumvention of the truth can make them greater profit.
Yes I can see at Google's aerial photo at the Welsh Slate Company, it is a huge quarry,
And that there are quite a few parked cars of the employees.
If I had just known .....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hello John
No, the larger contractors rarely tell the truth when discreet circumvention of the truth can make them greater profit.
Yes I can see at Google's aerial photo at the Welsh Slate Company, it is a huge quarry,
And that there are quite a few parked cars of the employees.
If I had just known .....
This became so interesting that I had to find it on the map. And what did I find, except for the huge quarries? Lots of beautiful nature and what seem to be some great golf courses. I'm a terrible golf player, but I may have to go there to play anyway... some time into the future. The worse my game is, the more important the beauty of the location.