The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad lens stuck on body

ggibson

I'm in a bit of a jam... literally. I have a Hasselblad 110/2 lens stuck on my 503cx body. I know, keep reading. I bought the lens to start my move to a focal plane shutter body system, but I did not acquire a 200 series body yet. The lens arrived with a bit of haze, so I wanted to check out the view through the lens before sending it back. I had mounted and unmounted it a few times without incident. This last time though, it got stuck partially unmounted.

I've attached a picture to describe what's happened.

hassy.png

Both the lens and body have become uncocked. The lens winding mechanism is on the pin on the right in the diagram, and difficult to wind since it requires quite a bit of rotation.

The release on the lens is jammed up next to the winding mechanism on the body, so even going into the body and turning the internal screw, it will only wiggle back and forth a bit.

So, anyone had this happen to them and have any advice?

I think the solution will involve winding the lens, but I'm a bit new to F lenses and I don't actually understand what this winder on the lens does since there's no shutter. Is there another way to wind this?

Also, what is the pin that the lens winder is on? (in the blue circle) Can it be depressed?

Oof.

darr

I recently had a jam on my 503cx that could not be released, even though I have dealt with jammed lenses for over 35 years.
After watching the video below and doing as suggested, it came off.

Best of luck!

ggibson

Thanks, Will and Darr!

Unfortunately, while Jonathan Harris' explanation got me as far as I am, I am not able to turn this interior winding screw further.

I had not seen that video on the phototrio thread and it appears this approach might work... but attempting repair on that level is daunting.

What is the winding and spring mechanism on the F lenses for if not a shutter?

4season

There's another way that camera body + lens can become jammed, and that's if the cam on the lens is triggered as the lens is removed. And if that happens, the unjamming tool is useless, because the camera body isn't what needs recocking. That particular situation requires a minor bit of disassembly in order to move the camera body's drive screw out of the way and allow the lens to be removed. This frustrating situation can be caused by a camera body which has gotten out of proper alignment.

ggibson

There's another way that camera body + lens can become jammed, and that's if the cam on the lens is triggered as the lens is removed. And if that happens, the unjamming tool is useless, because the camera body isn't what needs recocking. That particular situation requires a minor bit of disassembly in order to move the camera body's drive screw out of the way and allow the lens to be removed. This frustrating situation can be caused by a camera body which has gotten out of proper alignment.
Yes, I think this is exactly what occurred. It may have been my sloppy handling of the camera in removing the lens.

The video I mentioned in that other thread seems to detail the fix. I just have to decide whether I'm willing to try it myself or just send it off now.

ggibson

Yes, that ought to work when the more common screwdriver trick doesn't.
Good news!! The repair video above provided the right solution. It took some patience, but I got it done and reassembled with no issues. Thanks for your help, and thank goodness for youtube :D

I took some pictures to post later which someone might find interesting or helpful someday.

ggibson

The video really provides an excellent walk-through, but here are just a couple of pictures anyways.

First shot showing where the lens winder was stuck in relation to the body winder:

lens stuck
by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Left, silver screw winds the camera. Right screw secures the thin metal cover which is removed to reveal the winding block and screws.

Inside screws

A bit dusty on the mount here. You can see the winding block was unscrewed slightly to recess the pin next to the red dot enough to remove the lens.

Panel removed, screw loosened

By the way, I realized the winding mechanism on the lens is for metering wide open on these F/FE lenses (firing the shutter will close down the aperture).