The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

High altitude hiking trip gear thoughts?

ThdeDude

Yea the issue is I wouldn't want to buy a whole new system for one trip.
If I would go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would seriously consider it. The X System isn't so expensive to start with. The X-H2 now has a 40.2MP sensor - assuming that the lenses are up to snuff - this should be enough for most jobs.

anyone

Another lightweight option could be

GFX 100 II
45-100
gf 30mm

Totals at around 5lbs vs the 7lbs for the 32-64 and the 100-200 combined.
Don't forget the tripod. There are really big weight differences. We explored here already various weight-saving approaches: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/medium-format-ultralight-hiking-kit.72800/

For me, the reach of the 45-100 would not be enough, but I like to shoot compressed landscapes. My Pentax 150mm is also on the short end, but it is a very good lens for the weight.

4x5Australian

Oh wow thank you for that link. We have been trying to brainstorm ways to acclimatize, I am definitely going to rent that equipment.

I am aware of the oxygen levels at the pass and I have been stressing extra acclimatization days for me and my father (both of us are thalassemic) so we are planning 2-3 days at manang and we have extra days in hand in case we need to come back down.

I even went to consult my physician and got a blood work up done. There are thalassemic people that have summited k2 so it doesn't preclude us from doing the activity but precautions have to be taken. Interestingly enough we should generate more hemoglobin at altitude from all the research I have read. They say we need to spend 3 weeks at altitude to make our hb level rise.

So that link will help me immensely thank you so much for that.

I wanted to spend an extra night at high camp before thorung la pass but they recommend against people who are not acclimatized to sleep there, so I have read many conflicting reports as to what to do. They say it's better to climb and descend right away vs spending the night.

We are also carrying along oxygen.
You're welcome. I hope it's helpful.

An additional 2-3 days at Manang sounds like the right approach to me. However, most trekking agencies are strongly geared to the standard formula as porters are generally paid for carrying, not resting, and so the way to be sure of getting those additional rest days is to pay the porters fully via the agency for them as carry days and receive clear documentation of the variation, plus phone numbers of the manager in case the variation is not communicated clearly. Otherwise, you might have a situation in which porters insist early one morning that they are departing Manang as per the usual schedule.

Sounds unlikely, I know, but on my last trek a large group of porters decided that they'd sat around with us long enough at the base of the glaciated Amphu Labsta pass (5,845m) waiting for the weather to clear and took it upon themselves to leave camp with critical gear, before we were aware of it, which forced us to follow, hours later than we should have. The result was having to climb the ice serac cliffs and abseil the other side in what turned out to be treacherous conditions. Grrr.

Re thalassemic people summiting K2: Well, nobody summits K2 or Everest without hanging around at base camp for several weeks, from which they do shorter climbs to a few lower peaks or camps and return to rest up at base camp in order to gain proper acclimatisation. None of which you're doing. I expect that thalassemic people heading for the summit of K2 with your degree of impairment must be sucking on a reasonable continuous flow rate of bottled oxygen to negate the lower atmospheric pressure plus their impairment.

Yes, given the relatively rapid ascent on your trek itinerary, I agree that high camp below Thorang Pass is likely already too high to spend an additional night at, and it's better to climb the additional height to the pass and then descend quickly from there. The itinerary I linked to before shows the descent over the other side is rapid. I've been in two worrying situations where people developed clear signs of mountain sickness a day short of a high pass after making very gradual ascents, and the fastest way down was to continue the ascent with us another 600m or more to cross the pass, from which the descent was rapid. That approach worked both times, but it was worrying.

Regarding camera lenses, I recommend you consider taking only the lightest options. Everything will become much heavier.

Last edited:

RobbieAB

Another lightweight option could be

GFX 100 II
45-100
gf 30mm

Totals at around 5lbs vs the 7lbs for the 32-64 and the 100-200 combined.
Why not get suitable glass for your Z8?

This would also offer the option of carrying a spare cheaper Z body as backup.

Alkibiades

This summer I spended a lot of time in south france.
I had every day to make a dicision what camera setup to take with me. Mostly it was a quastion between a technical camera with tipod and phase one or without with Fuji GFX100S.
My most mobile set up was Fuji GFX 100S with Canon 50 mm ts-e.
Than Fujigfx100S with canon 24mm II TS-E and Contax Distagon-PC 35 mm ( some day will be replaced by the new Fuji 30 mm TS).
When longer lenses were needed for some landscapes and puted the Fuji on Cambo Actus G with Digaron -S HR 60 mm and 100 mm, for some panorama work even Digaron-SW 90 mm.
Only when i concentrated on architecture i took a technical camera with Digaron-35 mm and schneider 43-60xl. all small lenses with much place for movements.
When I take a technical camera I recognised that I am more concentrated on less shots, but sometimes it was simply not possible for me to take a tipod and atechnical camera with me, so Fuji with ts-e lenses is a nice solution also. I own only one Fuji lens, that is 1,7/80 mm, for people stuff a superb lens in my opinion.

Hi I am wondering if anyone here has taken their tech camera to many high altitude places while hiking?

I am going to be heading to Nepal and doing the Annapurna circuit trek for 15 days and am wondering if I should take my linhof techno kit or just a simpler setup like gfx100 and maybe with the new TS 30mm lens.

this is the kit I was thinking keeping weight in mind.

Linhof Techno
Sk 35 or sk43
sk60 or sk90
sk120 or sk150 leaning towards 150 as I am guessing I will need reach for mountains.
leica q2 for people etc.

or

Gfx 100
45-100
30mm TS

Any thoughts comments would be welcome.
Your dream apartment in Beirut awaits. Explore this exclusive property for sale, offering a luxurious urban lifestyle, stunning views, and the vibrant energy of the city. here https://beiteck.com/sale
I am thinking to visit the Carpathian Mountains and I need to buy a jacket to keep me warm. At the same time, I enjoy sailing so was thinking to buy a waterproof breathable jacket that can be used both for hiking and sailing at the same time. I noticed that Musto has launched a new BR1 Jacket for 2018 called XVR to which you can attach a fleece in cold conditions. Did anyone had the chance to try Musto Sailing jackets on a mountain before?

ThdeDude

I am thinking to visit the Carpathian Mountains and I need to buy a jacket to keep me warm. At the same time, I enjoy sailing so was thinking to buy a waterproof breathable jacket that can be used both for hiking and sailing at the same time. I noticed that Musto has launched a new BR1 Jacket for 2018 called XVR to which you can attach a fleece in cold conditions. Did anyone had the chance to try Musto Sailing jackets on a mountain before?
Hahaha. As they say, "horses for courses".

(But having said that, I have and keep carrying a technical camera up mountains. It's just not the Linhof Techno, but a Silvestri Flexicam with three lightweight Digaron-S lenses.)

Last edited:

Boinger

Yea I am planning to carry double the weight of what I will on the mountain. That’s what I have read to do. I have a few 10k ish plus peaks nearby so will be hiking those. I am a big guy 220 6’2 so I am hoping 15 -20 lbs of total load should be manageable. They say 20% max body weight but I am guessing that’s not at altitude. As such I am aiming for 10%.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm in my 80th year and my serious mountaineering days are over - while I can climb OK, any real weight is a killer. So while I'm an avid MF guy on the level,
my hiking gear is now a Leica M11, 28, 50 and 90 mm lenses. Hiking in the Rockies recently (but only to altitudes of about 2000 metres) I found the weight irrelevant and the picture quality entirely acceptable. If I were in the Himalayas at any altitude, this is what I'd take

This one is not MF of course.. M11/50 mm. Taken around 1600 metres, a little over 5,000 feet.

L1001994.jpg

Last edited:

Boinger

I actually have an m10 r and was thinking if I should take that instead. Much lighter weight compared to MF.

The issue for me is while I don't print very large I love the files from MF in terms of color and latitude.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I actually have an m10 r and was thinking if I should take that instead. Much lighter weight compared to MF.

The issue for me is while I don't print very large I love the files from MF in terms of color and latitude.
Yes, as much as I love the Leica it simply doesn't have the DR of my IQ4.

Shashin

Having trekked with cameras, the biggest factor is how much energy I have to actually photograph. If my gear and the environment is taking a huge toll on those reserves, then I am simply going to miss opportunities and shoot less because I need to preserve those to simply reach a destination. At altitudes like the Himalayas (I have been to Tibet), the lack of oxygen and rate of dehydration increases those stressors on your body. I know I will shoot more with gear that covers 85% of my needs that is easy to access, use, and carry than gear that covers 100% that is not. If I do have more energy, I also know I can be more creative with solutions when presented with problems stemming from gear limitations.

I have never had anyone look at my photographs and remark that it was a pity I could not use one of my better cameras. Conversely, I have never come back from a trip and regretted my decision to have a small, compact, and easy to use system. I have regretted the opposite.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

I have never had anyone look at my photographs and remark that it was a pity I could not use one of my better cameras. Conversely, I have never come back from a trip and regretted my decision to have a small, compact, and easy to use system. I have regretted the opposite.
Mirrors my experience too.

Easy to fall into the fallacy to look at existing camera gear and to try to adapt it to a different user scenario, not realizing that the equipment is inherently not the ideal camera gear to use. Another one seems to want to "improve", to step up one's photography by moving into larger format, not realizing that the weight and bulk surely will negatively affect productivity.