The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it worth buying the Schneider Super Digitar 28XL without CF?

guphotography

I managed to track down a super digitar 28XL but without CF.

Can someone share their user experience of using this lens with and without CF please?

From a recent review, it seemed lcc worked okay with 50MP sensor but another user wouldn't touch it without CF, saying the images were night and day.

While I'm waiting to receive some raw files to see for myself, can anyone share their experiences? Being one of the rarest lenses, I appreciate the input might be limited.

As of background information, I work with IQ1 100mp back, currently no plan (nor budget) for IQ4.

Cheers!
Gu

Ben730

Hi
I worked a lot with the 28 XL and P40+. It was a great combination. I didn't use the CF (I had it) because the CF makes problems in backlight situations.
There are internal reflections. Shooting interiors was always a problem with windows in the picture.
For this case I decided to make two exposures without CF and blend them together.
With the newer 50 and 100 MP backs, the colour cast was too strong and I had to buy the Rodenstocks 23 and 32.
Maybe it's better with the 150 MP back.
Regards,
Ben

usm

If you don’t like it, please let me know....

Last edited:

f8orbust

It's such a fantastic lens (on many, but not all DBs) that a lack of CF wouldn't necessarily put me off. The correct CF has an internal thread (you have to remove the front ring on the lens to fit it) in order to get the CF close to the lens, so it's different from the other CFs available for lenses like the 35, 43 etc - but it shouldn't be too difficult to get someone like SK Grimes to make a custom step-up ring with an internal thread and then use one of the larger CFs still available (either new or used) for a LF lens.

Last edited:

mdshaw

I have one & use it a lot. I also have the CF but rarely use that- mostly because I shoot interiors and Im right on the limit with flash power & cannot afford to lose 2 stops.

With a P45+ & IQ260, I find Capture One does a really good job of sorting out the imbalance with a LCC file.

One thing to note is that I usually need to replace the shutter spring every 18 months or so & they are becoming hard to find...

Matthew