The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it worth to get a 28mm lens from a new brand?

Orien Brown

The YouTuber Matt Osborne compares the Thypoch Simera 28mm f1.4 lens to the Voigtlander Nokton 28mm f1.5 lens for Leica Mount.

He took the Simera 28mm f/1.4 and his Leica M10 to London for street photography, and compared Simera 28mm f/1.4 with Voigtlander Nokton 28mm f/1.5 in terms of sharpness, bokeh, vignette, and color rendition.

The Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 lens is visually sharper and has a silver nose, while the Voigtlander Nokton 28mm f/1.5 is cooler in color. The Thypoch Simera 28mm 1.4 lens has a buttery smooth background bokeh and slight distortion. Simera 28mm f/1.4 vignettes wide open, but is sharp enough to be used wide open. It is recommended for those who prefer a manual focus experience.

Matt Osborne recommends Thypoch Simera 28mm f/1.4 for reasons as follows:

--A more tactile experience -- there is a soft stop at 0.7m on the focus ring

--More sharpness to be used at wide open

iiiNelson

I’m not getting the question… I have the Thypoch and it’s a nice lens. I bought it because I’m not a huge 28mm person but figured I’d give this one a try for the price. I’m big on Voigtlander but the Thypoch is great as well. The only thing I don’t like about it is the infinity lock… so I removed it.

Orien Brown

I’m not getting the question… I have the Thypoch and it’s a nice lens. I bought it because I’m not a huge 28mm person but figured I’d give this one a try for the price. I’m big on Voigtlander but the Thypoch is great as well. The only thing I don’t like about it is the infinity lock… so I removed it.
Yes, the infinity lock seems to be a little tricky. They should remove the design in the further versions.

Don Libby

I have a Voigtlander 28mm and am very pleased with it. This of course is from my very limited experience with it. My M11 lens herd (9 and counting) includes a mixture of Leica, Voigtlander, and a Mitakon. Back in 2010 when I got my first M9 I had Leica and 1 Mitakon. Truth be told I still have a hard time telling the difference between the lenses.

In the end it comes down the question of does it turn you on while it's in your hands? Don't look at it from a dollar perspective look more from how it pleases you.

Orien Brown

I have a Voigtlander 28mm and am very pleased with it. This of course is from my very limited experience with it. My M11 lens herd (9 and counting) includes a mixture of Leica, Voigtlander, and a Mitakon. Back in 2010 when I got my first M9 I had Leica and 1 Mitakon. Truth be told I still have a hard time telling the difference between the lenses.

In the end it comes down the question of does it turn you on while it's in your hands? Don't look at it from a dollar perspective look more from how it pleases you.
Totally second you. We also need to take shooting experience, optical design into consideration,