The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is Finally Here, 907x 100c

SrMphoto

I can only speak empirically to battery life on the 907x/CFV-100c, as I'm not into formal camera testing. But I've shot pretty much every day with it and all I can say is that considering its "viewfinder" is a good-sized LCD screen the battery life seems terrific. It seems quite efficient. I'm glad I bought a spare battery when I ordered the camera and back, but I've taken to leaving it at home on most of my mini adventures.

That said, the context for me is pretty selective shooting. I shoot digital with essentially the same tempo I shot (shoot) film. And slower still with medium format.
Note that EVFs use more batteries than rear LCDs. It probably relates to the resolution and updated frequency of the display.

f8orbust

The problem is keeping all the RAW files around. Sure, you can take 100 images and average them in post. That's 20 GB of card storage for one final shot. Is that a problem? It's up to the user. I would rather not do it.
Would be nice if H/B release a firmware update and integrate it into their current line up, but it's not a deal breaker. Buying an ND filter and doing it 'the old way' is good enough for me (and actually feels more satisfying from a traditionalist's standpoint).

FloatingLens

A/S Base plate for L-Bracket monoball®Fix universal. It has rubber inserts that prevent rotation and does not interfere with taking off the CFV. It also gives the option to put the whole 907x in portrait orientation.

usm

I have the A/S monoball fix Mini. With the anti twist lip it is not easy to remove the back. Mostly I use it without the lip.

FloatingLens

Does the new focus indicator work with the CFV back alone or just in conjunction with the 907X and electronically coupled lenses?

anyone

You mean focus peaking / highlighting during live view? That works with manual lenses. Tried it today with my Digitar 180 on my Techno.

GeorgeBo

My question was about V lenses on a 500 body for example. Do you know?
Just tried it with the back on my 501CM body. No focus indicator. Can use focus peaking though.

Of course the only way to view/focus in live view on the LCD is to have the 500 body/lens shutter in B mode and either held open or with a lock/remote cable. Then focus, reset and shoot again to capture the image if you don't use electronic shutter. Which in my perspective if only shooting in electronic mode, just get a V to X adapter and eliminate the 500 body.

Last edited:

FloatingLens

Thanks. I am wondering about the utility of the new focus indicator (not peaking). Seems very useful with native XCD glass, but could also be of great help for legacy glass, if supported. I now understand it does not work without the 907X body. Could someone try on 907X with XV adapter?

f8orbust

Anyone reading this thread probably needs to make sure they see this thread as well.

Since this is effectively a sticky Capture Integration thread, it would be great if they could comment on the 'banding' issue.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks. I am wondering about the utility of the new focus indicator (not peaking). Seems very useful with native XCD glass, but could also be of great help for legacy glass, if supported. I now understand it does not work without the 907X body. Could someone try on 907X with XV adapter?
I've found the new focus indicator of limited value - mostly because I'm never sure what exactly it's focusing on. Focus peaking (ideally) illuminates everything that is in focus, so you can see if it gets what you want. The devil is in the "ideally" details. Try getting a bird nest in the middle of a bunch of tree branches. Really sharp eyes or focus peaking is the only way. Actually, split prism would be good....

Godfrey

The focus distance readout cannot work with any other than XCD lenses as far as I'm aware. It requires specific electronic lens control signals be shared with the body to function. The XV adapter Is essentially nothing more than a tube with the two lens mounts on its ends, set to be the correct registration distance for a V system body. It has no electronic or mechanical couplings otherwise.

G

Godfrey

I've found the new focus indicator of limited value - mostly because I'm never sure what exactly it's focusing on. Focus peaking (ideally) illuminates everything that is in focus, so you can see if it gets what you want. The devil is in the "ideally" details. Try getting a bird nest in the middle of a bunch of tree branches. Really sharp eyes or focus peaking is the only way. Actually, split prism would be good....
I believe the focus indicator was added to the screen readout options because older X series lenses did not have any distance scale markings (XCD "v" series lenses have a distance scale when in manual focus mode), and that lack was difficult in certain shooting circumstances using manual focus.

I use manual focus and magnification assist functions often. I usually turn off focus peaking because it can get in the way of seeing the point of best focus. Focus peaking is great when you are trying to focus in a zone quickly, legacy of its first implementation for video camera usage.

G

MGrayson

I believe the focus indicator was added to the screen readout options because older X series lenses did not have any distance scale markings (XCD "v" series lenses have a distance scale when in manual focus mode), and that lack was difficult in certain shooting circumstances using manual focus.

I use manual focus and magnification assist functions often. I usually turn off focus peaking because it can get in the way of seeing the point of best focus. Focus peaking is great when you are trying to focus in a zone quickly, legacy of its first implementation for video camera usage.

G
Magnified manual focus is the only way to be sure, as far as I'm concerned. How i like to use focus peaking on a portrait is to rock my body back and forth to see the peaking band move over the face. It's hard to see the eyes perfectly, but a band at eye-depth is easier for me.

Matt

rdeloe

How i like to use focus peaking on a portrait is to rock my body back and forth to see the peaking band move over the face.
I'm trying to visualize this....

I'm seeing a little shimmy as you rock your body back and forth in front of the camera. Maybe some jazz hands. I'm not sure how that helps with focus, but it's probably fun to watch. ;)

MGrayson

I'm trying to visualize this....

I'm seeing a little shimmy as you rock your body back and forth in front of the camera. Maybe some jazz hands. I'm not sure how that helps with focus, but it's probably fun to watch. ;)
The photographer rocks back and forth - over a range of an inch or two! :ROFLMAO:

FloatingLens

G
Hi all,

thanks, I think we are talking two different things. To avoid misunderstandings: the X2D and 907x introduced a new round-shaped focus aid [1], which I reckon works PDAF based (because the 50c‘s don‘t have it).
My old Contax 645 has a similar old-school focus confirmation indicator, which works with adapted lenses below f5.6 just as well - so my take is, the Hasselblad feature could very well work without electric contacts and adapted optics or even technical cameras. Then again, I would not be surprised if that’s the case only in 907x mode and not with the CFV standalone. Any thoughts?

-Johannes

[1] X2D 100c User Manual https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/X2D_100C_User_Manual/User_Manual/X2D_100C_User_Manual_v1.4_EN.pdf page 60 of 132

Last edited: