The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL2-S the best digital camera ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Recently I made the switch to the perfect digital camera - at least for me - the SL2-S.

While digging into alternatives for the Nikon Z system, which got increasingly uninteresting for me, mainly because of the huge lenses like the S 1.2 50 and the S 1.2 85, I found that the L mount with all the great offerings from Panasonic, Sigma and Leica is a great alternative. Should also mention that I have still a ton of Leica M lenses which I could use without any restriction on a Leica SL.

So when Leica had a great offer for SL cameras and lenses I made the switch to a SL2-S with the Vario Elmarit 2.8 24-70 and I am very happy so far. I am now even more happy I did not wait for the next iteration in Nikon Z cameras - the Z8, though this being a very capable and beautiful camera, I figured already some time ago hearing all the rumours about it that it is not the camera for me.

Some first samples here, the obligatory cat pictures ....

2023-05-04_SL2-S_first_0016.jpg

2023-05-04_SL2-S_first_0021.jpg

2023-05-05_SL2-S_first_0013.jpg

2023-05-07_SL2-S_first_0004.jpg

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some shots taken during a recent walk in the woods

I specifically like the colours coming out of this camera. Not that the Nikon colours were bad, by no means, but the Leica colours are just better out of the box!

Also the Elmarit 24-70 which I used for these shots turns out to be a real winner, just love to handle the whole combo.

Enjoy ....

2023-05-10_kbw_green_0002-2.jpg

2023-05-10_kbw_green_0004.jpg

2023-05-10_kbw_green_0006.jpg
2023-05-10_kbw_green_0007.jpg
2023-05-10_kbw_green_0013.jpg
2023-05-10_kbw_green_0015.jpg
2023-05-10_kbw_green_0024.jpg

Last edited:

Paratom

Hi Peter,
welcome in the SL system. I have used the system for some years and its a great IQ and user itnerface. Also the ability to use M lenses is cool (I use sometimes my 21 and/or 28 mm M lenses)
I now prefer the 2470 over the 2490 because of the compact size. And the SL2-S with its high ISO is very flexible.
The only time when I grab my Canon gear is for fast sports and long Tele. Have fun and enjoy!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi there Tom, after such a long time!
The use of M lenses was the main reason for me to buy the SL2-S. I am using the Leica M adapter which makes it so easy and automatic - all my M lenses are coded BTW.
I bought the SL2-S with the 2470. The 2490 is too bulky for me and also too heavy for my taste.
I will add a telezoom to my SL system, most likely the Leica 100400 or maybe the Sigma 150600, which will give me all the tele options I want. BTW the latest incarnation of the DFD AF in the SL2-S is pretty decent, even for AF tracking!
On the wide side I have the Leica M WATE 161821, the 2.8/21 and the 2/28.
My most used M lenses are the 1.4/35 ASPH (pre FLE) which I really love, the 1.4/50 ASPH and the 2/75 APO.
If I want some exotic glass I use my Noctilux 1/50 or my 1.4/75 - both are really exceptional if you prefer some vintage look, which I do!
The 2/90 APO and the 3.4/135 APO make a great complement for faster fixed tele.
I loved my Nikon Z system, but was never overwhelmed by the IQ I got out of my M lenses adapted to the Z. And the fast and excellent incarnations of the Z 1.2 lenses are (were) simply to big and bulky for my taste and use cases.
Talk to you soon .....

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Can one set the SL2S EVF to show B&W without the need to also shoot jpegs and RAWS?
As soon as you set a monochrom color mode on the SL2(S) you also have a B&W EVF preview, although the DNG coming out of camera will have full color information. I always shoot RAW (DNG) and almost never JPEG.

algrove

The phrase "monochrom color mode" confuses me. So I guess in the menu somewhere it is obvious. My SL2S is enroute, but I always have B&W EVF views even though I also shoot only RAW. Thanks.

Last edited:

algrove

Manuals are always confusing :)
Downloaded the manual. It's not confusing, it's just the off colored selection sections are hard to see even on a 32" monitor.

I do not want jpgs and sure trust I will see B&W in the EVF without having to shoot jpegs, that's all.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Downloaded the manual. It's not confusing, it's just the off colored selection sections are hard to see even on a 32" monitor.

I do not want jpgs and sure trust I will see B&W in the EVF without having to shoot jpegs, that's all.
That should be possible.

algrove

For some strange reason I have gravitated to the SL2S. I never even wanted to look at the system since its first release.

In fact I have yearned for a lower MP count camera again, but not an M since I have been spoiled by the new features of the M11. I understand the SL2S is a great video camera, but I shoot photos not video.

For me being able to have IBIS on M lenses is revolutionary especially when the EXIF data has the coded or even uncoded (manual input on camera) lenses I can remember each lens used.

I cringe at looking at tele lenses where the end of the lens extends out. To me even with felt protection etc any dust on that barrel will eventually enter inside the lens. I found only one L mount zoom that has internal focusing and accepts 1.4x and 2x teleconverters other than the huge and heavy 90-280 Leica SL lens and that is the Panasonic 70-200 f4 or 2.8. I got the f4 for weight savings even though teleconverters will loose even more light in terms of f stops. That lens snaps into focus very fast. Sure its not 280mm, but in a pinch can extend to 400mm with teleconverter. Who knows if image quality will suffer tremendously.

BTW, I love the shutter "snick" when taking a photo. Reminds me of my small Fuji XT-5. Both have a very nice sound. Quieter than the M11 for sure or should I say less noticeable. That said the M is still a better street camera IMHO even though I managed to acquire the ultra stealth looking SL2S Reporter model.

Just have teken a handful of test images with various lenses. Will try out the Noctilux on it as most reports suggest focusing this lens at f 0.95 is much easier on the SL2S. The EVF is superb with any lens, but shines with hard to focus M lenses.

The Leica APO f2.0 lenses are focus by wire and have no f stops which disappoints me being old fashioned. The Sigma Art lenses are impeccable so users tell me so I will first try the 85/1.4. This lens actually has f stops. More later

algrove

A photo friend told me the Panny 50/1.4 is about the best 50 there is and is just about even with the Leica APO 50/2.0 (67mm filter-focus by wire and no f stops(n)(n))even at 1.4. Better bokeh too. The main downside is it is large and heavy (77mm filter-it has actual f stops(y)(y)), but apparently Panasonic spared nothing in making this lens. Debating this and the Panny 16-35. Only considering these other Panny lenses due to the fact that the 70-200 snaps into focus the instant I ask it to AF.

Anyone else out there using Panny lenses on the Leica SL system? I would love to hear your comments. Thanks.

@tomsu I sadly sold my 75/1.4 6 bit coded lens some years ago and now wish I had it back since I am liking the classic look more and more. Know anyone selling a 75/1.4?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A photo friend told me the Panny 50/1.4 is about the best 50 there is and is just about even with the Leica APO 50/2.0 (67mm filter-focus by wire and no f stops(n)(n))even at 1.4. Better bokeh too. The main downside is it is large and heavy (77mm filter-it has actual f stops(y)(y)), but apparently Panasonic spared nothing in making this lens. Debating this and the Panny 16-35. Only considering these other Panny lenses due to the fact that the 70-200 snaps into focus the instant I ask it to AF.

Anyone else out there using Panny lenses on the Leica SL system? I would love to hear your comments. Thanks.

@tomsu I sadly sold my 75/1.4 6 bit coded lens some years ago and now wish I had it back since I am liking the classic look more and more. Know anyone selling a 75/1.4?
The Leica Store Vienna has one - have a look

chiquita

I've had three SL2s' over the last two years, testament to the fact that I keep coming back to it! At the moment I have a Sigma 35mm 1.2 Art as an af lens which although heavy, makes a stunning combination. Have a couple of M lenses, the 50mm Summilux ASPH and an old 90mm Elmarit. Tend to take the ZM 50mm Sonnar and ZM 25mm Biogon for travel purposes as a "light" alternative :). Taking a 50mm together with the Q2 covers my needs in this regard. I will be interested if anyone were to post pictures from the Panasonic 50mm in the future. In the meantime, this is the SL2s and Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar in Sicily.

L1030404-5.jpg

algrove

Back to one of my favorite "test locations" where I have shot everything from IQ4150, GFX 100S, M10+R+Mono, M11+M11Mono and now the SL2S.
first APO 35 at f2, second image APO90 at f2 rusty hinge and third APO 90 of same truck. Focus points on truck at "FORD" lettering.
T1000100.jpg
T1000124.jpg
T1000134.jpg