The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M.Zuiko Digital ED 90mm F3.5 Macro IS PRO

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the price is reasonable, the focus fast and it's compact, it will be an interesting travel tele, and alternative to the 75mm f/1.8.

bensonga

Lens arrived here in Alaska today, less than 2 days after it was shipped from Japan. Beautiful condition. 🙂.
As expected…it is big and heavy for a FT/MFT system. A reminder (again) of how much smaller and lighter even the highest quality MFT lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are than the best Four Thirds era lenses. That said, I don’t think there is any focal lenth equivalent lens in the MFT world that equals the speed of the Olympus 35-100 f2.

And yet, the 35-100/2, 150/2 etc feel quite good in my hands on the E-5 and the larger MFT cameras (E-M1X and Lumix G9).

Now if I could just find a Olympus SHG 300/2.8 lens…..

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lens arrived here in Alaska today, less than 2 days after it was shipped from Japan. Beautiful condition. 🙂.
As expected…it is big and heavy for a FT/MFT system. It is a reminder (again) of how much smaller and lighter even the highest quality MFT lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are than the best Four Thirds era lenses. That said, I don’t think there is any focal lenth equivalent lens in the MFT world that equals the speed of the Olympus 35-100 f2.

Now if I could just find a Olympus SHG 300/2.8 lens…..
There is actually an alternative to the 35-100, the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 in EF mount. The zoom range is shorter, but with a 0.71x focal length reducer, it becomes a 35-70mm f/1.2. It is also a big beast though.

bensonga

I wasn’t familiar with that Sigmas lens! I have and love using many Sigma lenses on my Sigma, Canon, Nikon, MFT and L-mount cameras. Sigma truly makes some outstanding lenses and I have a special affection for their Foveon sensor cameras.

That said, I really enjoy using the Olympus Four Thirds SHG and HG lenses on my native mount E-5. Need to pull out the 50/2 HG ED macro and give it a try again. Did Olympus ever make a Four Thirds macro lens with a longer focal length? I see that Sigma made their 105/2.8 Macro in the the Four Thirds mount. The OMDS 90mm will be a welcome addition.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wasn’t familiar with that Sigmas lens! I have and love using many Sigma lenses on my Sigma, Canon, Nikon, MFT and L-mount cameras. Sigma truly makes some outstanding lenses and I have a special affection for their Foveon sensor cameras.

That said, I really enjoy using the Olympus Four Thirds SHG and HG lenses on my native mount E-5. Need to pull out the 50/2 HG ED macro and give it a try again. Did Olympus ever make a Four Thirds macro lens with a longer focal length? The OMDS 90mm will be a welcome addition.
No, they didn't make a longer macro for Four Thirds. They made one for the old OM System though, the 90mm f/2 Macro, a great lens that unfortunately sells for rather high prices.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

That said, I really enjoy using the Olympus Four Thirds SHG and HG lenses on my native mount E-5. Need to pull out the 50/2 HG ED macro and give it a try again. Did Olympus ever make a Four Thirds macro lens with a longer focal length? I see that Sigma made their 105/2.8 Macro in the the Four Thirds mount. The OMDS 90mm will be a welcome addition.
I shot the 35-100 / 2 for quite a while on my E5 and was VERY happy with it! It is a stellar lens and IMO no other lens from any manufacturer can keep up with its IQ and flexibility.

With that lens you have the absolutely best you can get in that range/area.

donbga

I shot the 35-100 / 2 for quite a while on my E5 and was VERY happy with it! It is a stellar lens and IMO no other lens from any manufacturer can keep up with its IQ and flexibility.

With that lens you have the absolutely best you can get in that range/area.
I don't doubt your word but I found the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 quite excellent and compact.