The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is a lens I have long been waiting for in the Z mount - and it looks like it really delivers - what else ....

Cannot wait to get my hands on it :)

Thorkil

would really like to lay my hands on it too...but realistic and unforthunathly, only some day..

Darin Marcus

Preordered.

Happy with the announcement that it should work well both close and at a distance.

From the MTF it looks sharper, and with more resolution than the G version in F mount (which I owned), although there seems to be a small wave/mustache distortion there... The bokeh should also be a little better. And it is lighter!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I ordered mine today (y) :) (y) Should receive it till end of June.

I owned the latest F mount version some years ago and was very happy with it. As the S lens is reportedly even better it was kind of a no brainer for me, as it also will serve me well for portraiture and landscape besides being a stellar macro lens.

Looking forward to it :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a winner. Clearly sharper than the old F mount. Bokeh looks quite good too, which is a plus. Bummer the TC's cannot be used on it though :(

jduncan

Hi,
Looks good, it's not innovative, but it's not too big and not too expensive.
The preproduction images look good.
Best regards,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think it is even innovative compared to the old versions and also to other brand macro lenses. Especially the use of 2 motors should guarantee fast and quiet focusing.

jduncan

I think it is even innovative compared to the old versions and also to other brand macro lenses. Especially the use of 2 motors should guarantee fast and quiet focusing.
Did not notice the two motors, I. was talking that is not a lens (optically) that we have not seem before, it's a 1:1 105mm f2.8 lens. In any case I will say it looks great, and in this day and age of increasing prices it's a total winner (unless it has a defect or someone release a. 2:1 or f2.0 version at similar price, unlikely)
Thanks underscoring the motors.

Best regards,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
105 is an interesting focal for me -- for years I wrestled between it and the 85 as my goto short tele, with an occasional foray to the 135. End of day I found for me that the faster 85 and faster 105's were the more versatile as my light tele than the f2.8 macro version. However when I did macro, I did really enjoy the 105 -- but that was back to the manual versions and maybe into the first gen AF version -- after that, I owned all of the subsequent AF versions including the VR but never used them much. So for today, I accept I don't do much macro and that I already have the 85 Viltrox I am really happy with as my shorter-fast tele, so I don't have much interest in this one. Admittedly though, I have a lean toward the possibility of a used 105/1.4 making it into my stable at some point just for the way it renders :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Due to unexpected demand this lens seems to be now out of order for the next months.

Glad I ordered mine immediately :)

Also this is great for Nikon's health and future in general - hope they can keep up that pace (y)

Darin Marcus

From the first outing with the new lens:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S, 1/160 sec, f/16, ISO 100, VR On (a couple of hours ago)

Handheld, close to the minimum focus distance.
First impressions: although quite large, it is very light so I had no problem walking around with it in my hand; very sharp; OOF specular highlights seem to have a strong outline (at f/8 and smaller) - have to further test this one.