The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 100-400mm mount issue

sarunas

Hello,
I have just received the new Olympus 100-400. Haven't done much beyond basic tests yet, but one thing was obvious at once: there is a free play in rotational direction in the mount. It looks like the slat on the lens side of the mount was made too wide (where the pin from the camera side springs into). This does not affect image quality, but is very annoying as the rotational movement is felt whenever zooming. It's also an unnecessary movement/wear on the mount and electric contacts... I have tried it on two Olympus bodies. I havne't seen this issue with any other Olympus or Panasonic lens, not even with inexpensive µ4/3 adapters.

I can either return the lens or ask for a replacement, but I wonder if this is just a defective copy or systemic for this model. That would decide return or replacement.

Does anyone with Olympus 100-400mm see this free play in the mount?

Thank you!

donbga

This post is a bit old but I have observed the exact same problems with the Olympus 100-400 zoom. It is irritating but I've not tested this lens thoroughly including Olympus 2.0X and I.4X tele converters. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I wish I knew how to get Olympus repair? I should also note that I've observed issue with the EMIX & the E.1 - MIII.