The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase one 645 df+ Autofocus mirror fell out

wshannon

Hi,

I received a Phase one 645DF+ kit in the mail on Saturday, I purchased it with a peli case which it was shipped in, with a lens battery etc and an iq260 back.

Upon receiving and testing the camera I noticed a black line going through the images, I took the back off and noticed that a piece was hanging in the camera, when I turned the camera upside down it fell out. I of course contacted the seller and I am hopefully in the process of a partial refund for the camera. In the meantime I have learned the piece that fell out is an autofocus specific mirror. I spoke to someone at teamwork photo and they are concerned that without this piece the shutter and mirror would not operate. However it does, the images coming out of the camera in manual focus are just fine.

My question for you all is does anyone else have experience for this and can the camera be used without it. I'm concerned the shutter may buckle and perhaps in the worst case scenario buckle outwards and damage the sensor of my IQ back which is far more valuable than the body. For clarification to replace the shutter of the camera it must be sent to Japan and serviced by phase which costs 700 pounds plus. I am looking at buying a new body but would love to use this in the meantime.

anwarp

Hi,

I received a Phase one 645DF+ kit in the mail on Saturday, I purchased it with a peli case which it was shipped in, with a lens battery etc and an iq260 back.

Upon receiving and testing the camera I noticed a black line going through the images, I took the back off and noticed that a piece was hanging in the camera, when I turned the camera upside down it fell out. I of course contacted the seller and I am hopefully in the process of a partial refund for the camera. In the meantime I have learned the piece that fell out is an autofocus specific mirror. I spoke to someone at teamwork photo and they are concerned that without this piece the shutter and mirror would not operate. However it does, the images coming out of the camera in manual focus are just fine.

My question for you all is does anyone else have experience for this and can the camera be used without it. I'm concerned the shutter may buckle and perhaps in the worst case scenario buckle outwards and damage the sensor of my IQ back which is far more valuable than the body. For clarification to replace the shutter of the camera it must be sent to Japan and serviced by phase which costs 700 pounds plus. I am looking at buying a new body but would love to use this in the meantime.
With the back off and the mirror up, that secondary mirror should also be folded. It will be in the optical path when taking images.
If you cannot return the camera for a refund, it would be cheaper to gat another used one, rather than get it repaired.
Check mpb.com. I have used them over the years.