The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please advise the esteemed forum members which technical camera system I should invest in for landscape photography

dchew

George, I can't remember if you asked for an update in this thread or the PM's we've been trading. Looks like I'm taking the STC to Patagonia, not the 12+. Reasoning:
  • The STC fits better in the bag I want to take. Note this is a very unique decision criteria.
  • I am anticipating the situations will be such that the STC's limitations will be insignificant.
  • I am so used to using the STC. After 14 years of use, my "muscle memory," as @ThdeDude referenced, is tuned into the STC.
Most of the above is very specific to my use case so don't interpret that to mean I recommend the STC over the 12+ for your case.

Dave

Paul Spinnler

Its crazy that the STC has been out for 14 years already, still working pefect, no? I mean the return on investment on a good solid Alpa camera is insane if you keep it 14 years. Its so well made. That's like 5 generations of digital cameras ...

Geoff

One thought - when first getting into tech cameras, I was convinced for the need of shifting in both vertical and horizontal. No doubt about it. Worked with the Cambo, a perfectly lovely camera, but we never became good friends. Got into the STC, and find (like Dave) it fulfills most all needs - and in the odd occasion of needing some rise when using horizontal shift, just tilt it up and (horrors) sometimes correct in post. For whatever reason, this is rarely the case.
What is of particular good fun is the interplay between the orientation of the back, the camera mounting and the shift direction. Somehow, this gets the head working and engaged, and seems to just "gel". Don't know how or why, but it is a pleasurable experience. All to say worth trying this gear before buying. Hard to know what will work for you in the abstract.

dchew

Its crazy that the STC has been out for 14 years already, still working pefect, no? I mean the return on investment on a good solid Alpa camera is insane if you keep it 14 years. Its so well made. That's like 5 generations of digital cameras ...
Well, I certainly agree with that but I’m obviously biased. The STC hasn’t been babied either. From x-c skiing in Alaska to zodiacs in Antarctica. I keep threatening @Steve Hendrix I’m going to get a backup some day. He usually quips, “Why?”

It’s been sent back once for a CLA. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just looked at it and said seems fine. Packed it up and sent it back. 🤣

Dave