The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Railway photography, anyone?

M

mjr

Morning

Some lovely atmospheric shots in this thread, I never really photograph them myself although there's a great old train museum/restoration place about an hour from here. This I grabbed one early morning a couple of years ago now with the Leica S.

dave.gt

Ed,

How do you manage to be in the right place at the right time? It is one thing to have the skills that you do, but also to actually be at the right place at the right time surely is an amazing part of your abilities. Bravo!!!

This s beautiful!:):):)

Ed Hurst

Ed,

How do you manage to be in the right place at the right time? It is one thing to have the skills that you do, but also to actually be at the right place at the right time surely is an amazing part of your abilities. Bravo!!!

This s beautiful!:):):)
Very kind of you, Dave. Actually, back then (this shot is from about a decade ago), I managed to be in the right place at the right time by doing this A LOT. It's amazing how many opportunities you get from sheer consistency of effort. I used to shoot steam literally more than once a week back then... These days, I have a bigger job, two young kids, etc., so have to be more selective. The other thing that helps is being part of groups than organise steam-hauled trains for photographic purposes. It means having a train in the right place at the right time of day. Of course, conditions still have to play ball, but it all puts the odds in your favour.

algrove

Thanks. 4 image stack. STC/IQ100 Achro,HR70.

It was built in 1904 and delivered to Nevada Northern Railway in 1910. Taken in the RIP Building, Ely, NV. Building normally not open to public.