The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rolleiflex 6008

jdphoto

I'm curious if anyone here has experience with this camera? I've read some pretty good reviews and am intrigued with the AF version too.

buildbot

I have a little experience with a 6001 which is similar except for the lack of a light meter.

Pros:
  • Film flatness is supposed to be excellent. The film path at least has essentially no bends compared to a A12 back or HY6 6060 back.
  • 6000 120 magazines are relatively cheap (150-200 USD)
  • You have a huge selection of awesome lenses from 3 manufactures to select from. The Zeiss line is comparable to 500 series glass so I am told, or at least they use similar designs. The Schneider line of lenses are of course, supremely good all around. (Note to self, get more of these!). There are also the Mamiya/Tokina designed Rolleigon line of lenses.
  • Built like tanks
  • Film motors in bodies, vs. magazines means cheaper magazines and a much stronger motor. I have had no issues with my 6001 advancing film, compared to my 6060 that often overlaps frames :/
  • Leaf shutters in all the lenses up to 1/500th
Cons:
  • Electronics are supposed to be a little unreliable? The later the model the better of course.
  • Realllyyy heavy, with the factory batteries even more so
  • Batteries are custom nicad affairs, and need to be re-celled typically as they are all pretty old now. There are also 3rd party lithium based ones on eBay, my camera came with one of these and its ...workable... It's a 3d printed chassis with some pretty nasty soldering and a battery holder for the special high amperage lithium batteries. Eric Hiss Of Rolleiflex USA does not recommend them: https://rolleiflex.us/blogs/news-te...y-lithium-batteries-from-ebay-not-recommended . The other option is the 12v power interface, which goes into the battery socket and provides a standard DC barrel input. Basically it is some circuity + a big capacitor. I am planning on using a titla battery grip + 3D printed L bracket to create a somewhat ergonomic if HEAVY package to use this setup. In the future I plan on making a custom power interface board myself.
  • I've heard mixed things about the AF of the 6008 AF, but someone should check me on that. AF lenses are great but more expensive and don't work on some bodies. AFD lenses only work on the 6008AF and only in full auto too. Plus, all the cool lenses are manual focus anyway ;)
It's really easy to go through a role of film with this camera! The 6008 will be even better.

bab

Had the system a while back (15-18) years ago when they were still in business. It was a great camera with a fantastic meter much easier to use then my Hasselblad system, I almost bought a digital back for it but went a different route. Looking back might be My favorite camera system I ever owned. Shot it at the North Pole and in the Desert’s never had an issue.

good luck

jdphoto

Thanks for the replies. I'm selling my Hasselblad gear to go for the 6008AF or 6008. I've read the meter is very accurate too.

jdphoto

I purchased a 6008i w/ the new NiMH's, D charger and the PQ Planar 80mm. The reasons for selling my Hasselblad 500cm were because I wanted to meter through the lens and use a viewfinder, but also to try some of the f/2.8 lenses for the 6000 series. The 6008i is incredibly easy to use and very intuitive. The meter is incredibly accurate and loading film inserts is so much easier than loading a Hasselblad. Film inserts are cheap compared to an A12 film magazine. I have been thinking about upgrading to the AF version for wedding shoots, but still using manual lenses with the focus confirmation feature. Plus, the upgraded display is pretty useful too. Thanks.

UlbabrabB

I have a 6008i and I’d say it’s the best engineered 6x6 reflex camera I ever used. All the controls are where you’d expect, the meter is super precise, the screen is better than hasselblad acute matte and the lenses are top notch. Fully hand holdable with the grip. It’s also a dream for flash shooting.
It’s pretty heavy and you’d have to trust electronics, and yeah buy refurbished / upgraded batteries.

Another pro is the availability of Schneider lenses, the availability of the SuperAngulon 40mm with 77mm filters was a big selling point for me.