The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-DIGITAR 43mm XL need for center filter?

Pemihan

I'm looking to get at Schneider-Kreuznach APO-DIGITAR 43mm XL for use with my IQ3100 Achromatic.

I know there exist a center filter for the 43XL but is it really nessecary? I'm not thinking in terms of color cast as that's not an issue with the Achromatic.

Thanks
Peter

anyone

I'm using the lens on my IQ1 60 without a center filter (it is impossible to get). In my opinion it works well without. I always make a LCC shot.

dchew

I never used the 43xl with the 3100, but I did use the 60xl with that back frequently. I think you will want the CF, but maybe “need” is too strong of a statement. It depends on what you shoot. I also used the 35xl with that back. I would say the CF was necessary with that combination.
I think you will need it for significant movement, but shooting straight with little or no movements should be ok as long as you always combine it with an LCC.
Dave

daz7

I think Rodenstock's E58/77 Center filter may work iwith 43xl n theory but never tried that - on paper the diameter would match (58mm) and it is a 1.5 stop CF (0.45ND) so seems to be ok for cos-3 lenses
Maybe someone can comment if anyone tried that combination.

Last edited:

Geoff

Shifting or not? Was just out with 43, CF, and 3100. Shooting straight on, agree with the above, no CF really needed. LCC does the trick. So does CF without LCC. However, shifting (say 15mm) is another story. Normally with a CF and LCC it should work, but oddly, had a fail this past weekend. Likely user error in the LCC exposure... As Paul says, with Achromatic, you are likely OK.

Paul Spinnler

Yes, it is that one. The gradation is different from the real CF filter so it is not a perfect solution. But it helps a bit with LCC. Given how easy they are to find it is a good second best solution.

By extension, the 28 XL is also amazing for that reason on an achromatic back. You just do a clean LCC exposing for a histogram which is correctly exposed and you can get perfect shots.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

On the gradation - it can create a problem in very uniform skies when the gradation is not perfectly adapted to the lens; then you have a situation where the gradation overlaps in a not ideal way with the natural light fall-off and so you have a brighter area after a darker area all of a sudden. It usually is not a problem though, but clearly the real CF will have the correct gradation.

This said, it still helps with LCC and overall image quality as it still minimizes the total delta between darks and brights in the image.

Pemihan

Thank you everyone. I will see how it goes but my guess also was that LCC was sufficient without too much shift.
Now I just need to get it :cool:

Paul Spinnler

The 43 XL is the closest you can get to a single-lens all-in-one architectural solution. It covers so much ground and doesn't need distortion correction which is a godsend in post if you don't own an XT.

Such a shame SK went out of business after 15 million lenses! There are maybe a few hundred in existence of these and SK produced millions and millions of lenses before that. Crazy to see all of this in this perspective.

Last edited:

Pemihan

The 43 XL is the closest you can get to a single-lens all-in-one architectural solution. It covers so much ground and doesn't need distortion correction which is a godsend in post if you don't own an XT.

Such a shame SK went out of business after 15 million lenses! There are maybe a 200-300 in existence of these and SK produced millions and millions of lenses before that. Crazy to see all of this in this perspective.
I agree, such a shame! They made these insanely great lenses in very few numbers (43XL, 60XL and 120 Aspheric) and then shut down. I'm glad I got my 60Xl and 120 Asph. in time.

anyone

Congratulations on the 60XL and 120 ASPH.! I'm still looking for those two lenses. Maybe one day.

Pemihan

Yes, it is that one. The gradation is different from the real CF filter so it is not a perfect solution. But it helps a bit with LCC. Given how easy they are to find it is a good second best solution.

By extension, the 28 XL is also amazing for that reason on an achromatic back. You just do a clean LCC exposing for a histogram which is correctly exposed and you can get perfect shots.
Paul, so you can get away with not using CF, just LCC?

diggles

Hey Peter,

You'll likely run into sensor tiling with the 43XL and shifts. There is a way to fix it though…

anyone

And to add:
I was shooting with just LCC and the SK28XL on my IQ1 60. It was not ideal, but worked well enough.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Hey Peter,

You'll likely run into sensor tiling with the 43XL and shifts. There is a way to fix it though…
Just one thing to add to Diggles; to be fair, sensor tiling occurs only when you do extreme shifts. I would need to check when exactly it happens in terms of mm on a full-frame MFD sensor, but in practice, it is not that of an issue, at least for me. I'd say 15mm and more without issue if the sensor is in horizontal orientation, but would need to check.