The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling gear

doobs

With the X-Pro2 that Santa bought, I've decided I'm going to sell my X-Pro1 and X-T1.

I'm exceedingly ambivalent about the 'bay nowadays, with the plethora of horror stories from sellers of camera gear.

I was wondering what's currently seen as the "best" site to sell used gear?

I tried Fred Miranda once with some Nikon gear, but was unsuccessful. There is a goodly amount of gear for sale there, but it doesn't seem that much sells.

Thanks in advance.

jdphoto

FM is actually a good place to sell camera gear with established members with a good reputation. Their feedback profile is easy to access and help to determine a safe sale. As mentioned take good, detailed photos, so no surprises. Insure and pack securely. Gear buyers like KEH are consistent, but low ball considerably. The site is known amongst pro photographers and amateurs alike. Just bump your ad often because ads come in every few seconds. Also use specific titles and keywords for quick searches. I also use PayPal because of a bit more protection, but I don't recommend the friends/family feature for savings.

diforbes

I've had good experiences overall with eBay both as seller and buyer. Be sure to post enough photos of your gear, be detailed and transparent about condition and any flaws. Research what similar items are going for to determine your opening prices.

doobs

Doh! I completely overlooked this site. Will probably start either here or cameradery.org, both of which are becoming my to to photo homes.

I need to dig the boxes and accompanying accoutrement out and grab some photos of the gear. Stay tuned.

Thanks!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
We could give you more specific advice ..if we knew the type of gear you plan on selling . There is a huge difference in selling the new most popular gear (Fuji,Hasselbald MF ) from the out of favor Canon and Nikon DSLR gear .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am in Silicon Valley and have to say Craigs List is better than GetDPI or Fred Miranda by about 10x. FWTW.

doobs

Thanks Jack. I'm here in suburban DC. Craigs List here is "interesting" to be kind.

Appreciate all the advice.

I've just collected the two cameras with all the associated bits and bobs, and I'll take some photos this afternoon. Will probably list them this week.

cheers,

doobs

Well, the gear was listed on a number of places, including here, and the X-T1 with the grip was sold on Fred Miranda and the X-Pro1 on the Fuji-x forum without the grip. It was all quick and painless and all parties are satisfied.

The grip for the X-Pro1 and JB grip for the X100s are still to be sold. Those will prolly go on the 'bay.

Thank all for the advice.