The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1 MKII in 2023

raist3d

Anyone here has one? You still use? How has it lasted for you? Do you still like it?

How good/fast is the AF at night?

Thanks.

RossNH

I just picked one up and am having a hard time not carrying with me all the time. It is very good focusing at blue hour, ok as long as there is some contrast in the scene when it's darker. You can also set up a sort of zone focus.

ggibson

I had a used one briefly in 2021 but even then it felt a bit old in AF tech. Eye AF works ok, but you have to hold a button to activate it unlike more recent Sony cameras. Also the ergonomics are pretty awkward without a separate grip which then makes it larger anyways.

I sold it after a few months, concluding that an A7C with small prime is probably the superior solution. Unfortunately there’s no small prime quite like the RX1 35/2 sonnar, but there are some decent options. The Sigma 45/2.8 has a similar smooth blur rendering. Or the Sony 40G and 50G are nicely sized with super fast AF and sharp IQ.

I would hold off at least until the end of August when rumors say the A7cII and A7cR will be announced.

raist3d

Thanks everyone. A part of me wants one but having a Fuji X100V and the fact Sony seems to have killed this line, seems to me the better match will be whatever Fuji comes out in Spring 2024 when the rumored X100V is due out. If Fuji ads IBIS then I am probably heading that way.

It's too bad because the RX1 does seem as a concept to do many things right and have some interesting things.

lookbook

... I had similar experiences as Mr. Gibson.
Maybe I had bought them from him? : )

In any case, I also sold it very quickly again,
because it is really very slow !