The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange IIQ file corruption while using Cascable and other mysteries

Mexecutioner

Yesterday I was taking some photos of some small wild flowers that grow in our yard. I was using the XF with the 120 BR low to the ground so decided to use mi iPad with Cascable connected to the XF with an Ethernet cable and USB adapter.

Took 18 shots. On a few occasions Cascable unexpectedly quit right after the capture. I had the XF set to use external storage so a copy of the file goes ti the iPad too, very fast through ethernet and allows a review of the actual file).

I copied the files to my laptop from the CF card to open them in Capture One and noticed that on those where Cascable quit unexpectedly the bottom half of the frame seems to have a different exposure than the top half. It is a very minimal difference and with a busy background I may have not even noticed, but it is there when looking at the file on the iPad, Capture one or the IQ4 screen.

Here is the strangest thing, I opened the file in Photoshop, via ACR, and the issue is not there. I am attaching a screenshot showing this, I hope the image shows it on this post. The image on the left is the Capture One file, you can see the line inside the red box, running horizontally from side to side. The image on the right is the ACR one, and the issue is absent on that one. Worst case scenario ACR could save the day. Cascable bug.jpg

My conclusion is that if Casacable quits unexpectedly while the file is being transferred it will create this problem. Solution for me is not have external storage enabled on the IQ4 when using Cascable, or not trust the capture if the app quits and shoot another one.

Passing this along in case you guys run into this at some point.