The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

street images, any camera

Shashin

Not sure this is strictly street, but it is showing the archer in his/her natural habitat. Every January, about 2,000 archers descend on Lancaster, PA, to compete in one of the largest indoor tournaments in the world. This is one of the practice ranges--there are three. In the background, there are other sports going on. Spooky Nook Sports Center is really, really big.

Fuji XF10

pegelli

My favorite kind of image :)
I like it as well, that's why I posted it. But using a 240 mm lens on an APS-C camera (so effectively 360 mm eq.) feels very much like cheating in street photography. The masters of this style (not me) take a 28 or 35 mm or even shorter and walk right into such a scene.

BarbaraJ

I like it as well, that's why I posted it. But using a 240 mm lens on an APS-C camera (so effectively 360 mm eq.) feels very much like cheating in street photography. The masters of this style (not me) take a 28 or 35 mm or even shorter and walk right into such a scene.
Still getting the hang of how these forums work. Thank you for your reply, I understand better what I prefer about this image. The long lens gives the feeling of distance, a moment of observation rather than eavesdropping. Get too close in the street and it becomes a portrait.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I often use telephoto lenses for street photography, and it's not cheating. It changes the perspective, and makes it possible to take photos that wouldn't have been possible in other ways. Once you get closer, people change (unless you have spent a long time at the location), and as Barbara said, "... it becomes a portrait".

pegelli

Thanks for the comments Barbara and Jorgen, I agree this photo would have been very hard to take with a wide angle, the background would have covered a lot larger area and be much more messy and the people would have changed their posture and made it an entirely different scene. The flat perspective of the telephoto also adds to the mood of the image imo. Your comments inspired me analyse the photo a bit further than I originally did so thanks again for that, it's one of the aspects that makes this forum worthwhile (y)