The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

ThdeDude

Maybe a bit off topic but since the last postings were about a wooden tripod, Ansel Adams wrote:

Engineers have told me that vibration is one of the difficult problems to overcome in design. It can appear with different "loading" (the weight of the supported components), or with sympathetic vibrations (resonance) that can occur in one or more elements of the design. In Book 1 I described a heavy and sturdy tripod I have that is capable of supporting an 8 x 10 camera with ease; in spite of its massiveness, if I attach my Hasselblad to it, the operation of the mirror sets up a sympathetic vibration that can affect the clarity of the image! The same camera, placed on a much lighter tripod, creates no vibration.
Ansel Adams, The Print, P.25

Are wooden tripods "better" in that regard (i.e. damping) than equivalent carbon fibre tripods?

Wonder how much still a consideration for mirrorless and shutterless cameras. Also cable releases are nowadays wireless. The only mechanical action left is aperture operation. Of course external forces, like wind and terrestrial trembles, can still introduce vibrations and resonance.

drunkenspyder

If this is the wrong place for this, my apologies. But over on fleabay, a fellow has posted a complete NIB Ries kit for sale. Appears to be a very good deal. No waiting. If I hadn’t just gotten the Berlebach and still waiting on my own Ries order, I’d be all over this. (I have no relationship with the seller in that listing.)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If this is the wrong place for this, my apologies. But over on fleabay, a fellow has posted a complete NIB Ries kit for sale. Appears to be a very good deal. No waiting. If I hadn’t just gotten the Berlebach and still waiting on my own Ries order, I’d be all over this. (I have no relationship with the seller in that listing.)
Damn. The bags alone cost a good chunk of that.