The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

vjbelle

I wonder if mine is a bit stiffer (bought used). I get no movement at all with an angled carry. I tried moving the mechanism with hand pressure, and it is possible, but very difficult.
Yes.... a little difficult by hand but easy to move with an 8 lb camera. I tried to make sure that the head was never in that position when carrying the camera on my shoulder.

VIctor B.

Edit: Actually I can move the head by hand in ALL geared directions.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

... I saw a forum post (don't remember where exactly, FM I think) where a couple of different people mentioned that on their way back from Japan they had their tripods inside a carry on bag of legal dimensions... measured them and since they were longer than 17 inches made them go back out to the counter to check their bags in.

... I traveled with my series 4 gitzo in the cabin several times before and nobody said a peep. You can always check it in, but I don't trust them and I never travel with checked luggage, but that is a different story.
The basic requirement for carry-on for most airlines is that the combined dimensions must be no more than 45" (which is the basis for the often stated 22"x14"x9" carry-on dimension). Most mid-sized tripods are 3-4" in diameter. Assuming a 3.5" diameter, this would leave 38" for the length of the (collapsed) tripod. Hence a 3.5"x3.5"x38" tripod should be OK as a carry-on.

But this may be a complete different story if the tripod is in a tripod bag. The bag itself could be over the combined dimensions of 45".

Last edited:

rdeloe

Yes.... a little difficult by hand but easy to move with an 8 lb camera. I tried to make sure that the head was never in that position when carrying the camera on my shoulder.

VIctor B.

My F-Universalis with a lens and GFX 100S is in that weight class, and not only can I carry it on the tripod with the Cube, I can shake it! OK, I didn't shake it a lot and I did it over a soft landing. But bouncing around on my shoulder would be fine.

For me, it's not whether it moves a bit, but whether it moves a lot (and crushes another finger!) By that standard, I'm happy. Your bowl solution sounds super sturdy too. I looked at that as well, but decided the full feature set of the Cube was more my speed. Apart from the weight and massiveness of the thing, I'm happy.

I would not be happy if I had to carry it on the tripod all the time; I couldn't do that for the 6-8 hours I sometimes have to have the tripod in my hands. However, being able to pop it off the tripod in seconds and carry it in a pack makes it work.

R. de Loe PXL_20240115_001658301.jpg

Mexecutioner

The basic requirement for carry-on for most airlines is that the combined dimensions must be less than 45" (which is the basis for the often stated 22"x14"x9" carry-on dimension). Most mid-sized tripods are 3-4" in diameter. Assuming a 3.5" diameter, this would leave 38" for the length of the (collapsed) tripod. Hence a 3.5"x3.5"x38" tripod should be just OK as a carry-on.

But this may be a complete different story if the tripod is in a tripod bag. The bag itself could be over the combined dimensions of 45".
You would imagine it wouldn't matter if the tripod was inside my carry-on roller, which is 21" long.

Mexecutioner

I assume you had issues going through security. This is one of the reasons I don't use a tripod bag
No, I had no issues and I don't use a tripod bag either. The tripod, as I originally stated in my post, was inside of my carry-on bag. They simply asked me to take it out to measure it and I was good to go. I simply brought it up to make people that may travel through NRT aware about this.

ThdeDude

No, I had no issues and I don't use a tripod bag either. The tripod, as I originally stated in my post, was inside of my carry-on bag. They simply asked me to take it out to measure it and I was good to go. I simply brought it up to make people that may travel through NRT aware about this.
Stand corrected, didn't read your post carefully enough. Yes, tripods in either checked luggage or carry-on case could result in a TSA inspection.

RodK

VIctor B.

Victor, any time you grab a camera you have a lever which gives you more leverage to move.

But when shooting, that does not mean it is is unsafe.

Why don't yopu send it to PCW, or to Me, and I will send it to the Factory ofor an inspection and CLA?

Let me know if you send and I will get it out as soon as I get it.

That should tell us if there is an issue needing adjustment.

Rod

drunkenspyder

I enjoy this thread because it's kind of like my own private Tripodaholics Semi-Anonymous. ;) I almost showed it to my wife the other day to demonstrate top her that my ridiculous tripod and head collection doesn't seem so absurd when compared to others. But I realized before I made that mistake that it would only prove to her it could get worse.

A couple of months ago, I finally took the plunge on a Ries tripod/head combo to go with my new love affair with 4x5. Who knows when that will get here. I love the Ries "aura," and even the throwback website is fun. In a way. But communications with the company, and the experiences of others don't inspire "take that hill!" optimism. So, just to have a comparison point, today I ordered one of the last of the Berlebach 87C tripods. It has a [I hope] slick combination of both a center column (geared) and a leveling bowl. I'm a big fan of geared stuff and leveling bowls, so getting these two together should be a treat. Or at least fun to find out. And if I don't love that head, I can swap it out.

From a customer perspective, here was my Berlebach experience:
(1) Get mildly frustrated on Monday this week with poor communications with Ries, including no email confirmation of orders, and often days between emails sent and responded [I know they're small, but I was asking order-essential questions, not "is it done yet?" nonsense];
(2) Research a few reviews and comparisons of wood tripods which is something I am jonesing for, search on *bay, etc.; decide to check out Berlebach;
(3) Wade through website, trying to make sure I understand their offerings, and fail; download and read entire catalog where light bulb goes off brilliantly;
(4) Settle on the Uni 87C, only to discover it's no longer available; send the company an email;
(5) Berlebach responds in less than six hours and tells me they have some 87C stock still available;
(6) On Tuesday, the 87C is back on the website but with no choice of finishes, just the natural ash;
(7) Yesterday, Tuesday, I wrote the company expressing my gratitude and inquiring whether there might be any choice of finish;
(8) Late last night, they responded with the finish colors still available, and by this morning, the website was updated with every option on a product that is entirely "remaining stock only."
(9) My order is in, and the latest update shows it has been packaged and is awaiting shipper pickup.

I am a huge believer in American entrepreneurialism, and I love to support small makers everywhere I can. But I'll follow great customer service anywhere.

ThdeDude

... my own private Tripodaholics Semi-Anonymous. ... my ridiculous tripod and head collection doesn't seem so absurd when compared to others. ...
This is not even funny. Scary what some of us have already spent on tripods on the never-ending quest for the perfect tripod or tripod set!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This is not even funny. Scary what some of us have already spent on tripods on the never-ending quest for the perfect tripod or tripod set!
True enough . I belong to "some" of us . I am not counting the money , i spent . I might get sick .

ThdeDude

There never seems to be the perfect all-around tripod or bag.
Camera bags surely fall into the same category.

Someone once wrote that he stopped questions his wife about her handbag purchases and handbag collection after she pointed out his every expanding camera bag collection.

Smoothjazz

Ries tripods are fantastic, and look so classic; also solid as a rock. The only problem is that they are so darn heavy!! I tested my Gitzo carbon fiber against my Ries and saw no difference in stability with medium format cameras. It might however be a different story for large format cameras .

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It was a few years ago, but I had a very easy time discussing my options with Ries. I now have a beautiful heavy wooden tripod that I will probably never use without a pack mule. :unsure:

Sorry to hear that they've dropped the customer service ball.

drunkenspyder

Ries tripods are fantastic, and look so classic; also solid as a rock. The only problem is that they are so darn heavy!! I tested my Gitzo carbon fiber against my Ries and saw no difference in stability with medium format cameras. It might however be a different story for large format cameras .
I’ve generally been an RRS guy—but I can’t remember seeing a Series 4 anywhere, and RRS seems to have its own production issues—but for LF, I’ve got the XLS Gitzo Systematic 5. She’s a big one and holds my Chamonix 45F-2 like a rock. I will be surprised if either of the wooden tripods did significantly better. But, this isn’t all about performance. At least, not all of it. ;)

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

It was a few years ago, but I had a very easy time discussing my options with Ries. I now have a beautiful heavy wooden tripod that I will probably never use without a pack mule. :unsure:

Sorry to hear that they've dropped the customer service ball.
Yeah, I didn’t even mention the phone call attempts. Multiple times before I finally reached someone; no one ever actually called me back. Once I reached Spencer, I had a great convo. He knows his stuff.

drunkenspyder

Well my Berlebach arrived this past week. Such a beast! And I love it. Excellent finish and craftsmanship. I got one of the last of the 87 line. And in a dark gray. Not for backpacking, except for short distances I suppose. I went for the Uni 87C configuration, with a geared, leveling center column, but I believe I can swap that platform out in the future if I want to go lighter. Fit and finish are superb.