The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Frankly

On those Novoflex tripods the tallest configuration is only 63"? So they're for midgets?

Being a member of Trump nation, I'm on board with buying as local as possible and paying a premium for quality from well-managed companies that support their employees. But within ten years we're going to end up with personal 3-D printers and powdered Titanium... and we'll be here exchanging open sourced 3D rendering files and arguing whose design is best.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Pretty much why I went with the Gitzo Giant instead. If I'm getting an 8 pound tripod, it might as well be 9 feet tall. :cool:

--Matt

BJNY

What is the likelihood of:
• p0 Hybrid or L60 with geared top pan
• geared pan retrofit kit for Cube

jng

I don't know about the P0 of L60. However when I inquired with Rod Klukas, he advised me that my Cube could NOT be retrofitted with the geared panning clamp.

(Dave Chew: please don't get any ideas! :ROTFL:)

John

Frankly

Cool, endless 18” extensions are pretty nice.

Anyone figure out what’s the most you could spend on an Arca-Alpa-Novaflex tripod and head combo? Just for our besmusement ;-p

I've had boats, swimming pools, airplanes, ex-wives, private tuitions, custom guns, etc. so hopefully I won’t stroke out.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the Alpa GON kit - trust me, you'll stroke out with that one alone. (Btw if you ever needed a reason to be wary of a PIGS event, succumbing to the tripod lust of the Alpa is one!!) I haven't looked at the PRO75 but I would assume that the goniometer on top of those beefy legs wouldn't be cheap.

That said, my primary weapon of choice is my GT5562SGT & CUBE which will also stroke out most folks. However, I've had it I believe at least 10 years so overall it has been a great investment in terms of a tool.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham,

PS. Do you use the big ball jointed feet on your Giant, or do you stick with the more regular rubber feet/spikes?
I replaced the bottom thin legs with the Gitzo screw on base feet and actually have the short gitzo spikes on mine. 7ft is fine for me vs 9ft on those spindly bottom leg segments. BTW I originally used the gitzo long spikes - not recommended at all as they'll flex and break off. How do I know? :thumbdown:

Frankly

I replaced the bottom thin legs with the Gitzo screw on base feet and actually have the short gitzo spikes on mine. 7ft is fine for me vs 9ft on those spindly bottom leg segments. BTW I originally used the gitzo long spikes - not recommended at all as they'll flex and break off. How do I know? :thumbdown:
Even on the old metal Giantluxes it was absurd to use the pencil rods in the fifth section, making the maximum height more about bragging rights. I doubt many DPs wanted to mount their heavy movie cameras at full extension.

That’s what’s brilliant about those Novoflex extensions you just showed me. Screwing into the legset at the top, thickest, strongest area. So simple and smart.

Frankly

What’s the utility of these geared Cube heads once you have live view or a decent viewfinder? I can sort of understand how they could be nice if you’re trying to juggle components blindly but will that much longer be the case?

tcdeveau

What’s the utility of these geared Cube heads once you have live view or a decent viewfinder? I can sort of understand how they could be nice if you’re trying to juggle components blindly but will that much longer be the case?
I find even with good liveview and a good ballhead, I'm almost always making horizon adjustments in post. Geared head would make this easier in the field than ballhead as tiny adjustments with the ballhead can be difficult to nail....at least in my hands. Whether that kind of precision is worth the cost, well, to each their own (and as we all know "abandon all hope" :p)

danlindberg

If stability rocks your boat for long exposures the new Alpa/Novoflex Pro75 legs are as stable as they come. I have done 30-45 second exposures with great results. Best yet in my experience. Yes, a bit heavy, especially with the complete Gon on top, but well worth it when doing postprocessing (not to mention printing).

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yeah. No interest in the long spikes.

Does the Series 3 leg section reducer kit work on the last leg section of the Giant? I'm having a hard time figuring out what to attach the foot to after removing the last section.

Thanks,

Matt

I have a P0 on a light Gitzo tripod. Does it make sense to combine the existing P0 with that new L60 "mini-cube" for outdoor shooting e.g. landscapes or should I just sell the P0 and get the L60 alone?

A combination of the 2 with AS flip-lock clamp will weight around 750 grams and height around 14 cm.

I also have a D4 for mainly studio work. Now there is also a GP D4 (geared panning) available. What do you think about this one? Or should I sell the D4 and get the new GP Cube?

Decisions, decisions....

Shashin

I have a P0 on a light Gitzo tripod. Does it make sense to combine the existing P0 with that new L60 "mini-cube" for outdoor shooting e.g. landscapes or should I just sell the P0 and get the L60 alone?

A combination of the 2 with AS flip-lock clamp will weight around 750 grams and height around 14 cm.

I also have a D4 for mainly studio work. Now there is also a GP D4 (geared panning) available. What do you think about this one? Or should I sell the D4 and get the new GP Cube?

Decisions, decisions....
What is it about the L60 that you want? I use a p0 and the limits of the L60 are not very useful for me.