The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica Picture Thread

Don Libby

Hi there, Pieter. The F1 misalignment is not cured yet.
Waiting for the Visoflex-2 that should be delivered to me today.
The images shown here are all by 'Meßsucher'.
It's at close range that the misalignment is most apparent and obviously most annoying.
So my F1 needs to see an optician somewhere in Wetzlar ... :)

The Heliar is brutally sharp (especially center and midfield) and rather clinical indeed.
Also the handling is something to keep in mind as the aperture ring is located on the rotating front part of the lens.
So first set the required aperture and then start focusing.
Anyway, I do like it a lot !

One of the reviews: "The new Voigtlander HELIAR 40mm f/2.8 Aspherical | leicarumors"

Kind regards.
Bart, not knowing any better I picked up both the camera plate and Visoflex 2 when I ordered the M11 and I'm glad I did. Hated to spend the $ for the plate but its worked very well. And I have nothing but praise for the Visoflex 2. I've tried it out on all my current lenses and like it while knowing that I might not be using it all the time. I decided to get the Laowa 15 as I need a much faster 15mm than the old one I have. Used the Visoflex 2 the other day testing the Laowa and found I had no issues with focusing. It almost feels like cheating...

Don

pegelli

Thanks for the explanation Bart. I never found a good enough deal on a Noctilux so my brightest lens is a Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.2. I have a visoflex to check focus if I want but I find it a bit clunky (the old model used on a 240 series). The newer versions for the M10 and M11 are much better but can't be used on the older M's. Fortunately the rangefinder coupling of my Nokton is spot on from MFD to infinity. Only nailing focus at closer ranges with the rangefinder is not simple and very prone to user error (in my case 🤓 ). However if there's a good contrasty subject with clear lines/borders it's doable.

This one was focussed @ f 1.2 on the "NO ONE LIKES US" sticker and came out right on target.

M246M + VM Nokton 50/12.

Knorp

Thanks for the explanation Bart. I never found a good enough deal on a Noctilux so my brightest lens is a Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.2. I have a visoflex to check focus if I want but I find it a bit clunky (the old model used on a 240 series). The newer versions for the M10 and M11 are much better but can't be used on the older M's. Fortunately the rangefinder coupling of my Nokton is spot on from MFD to infinity. Only nailing focus at closer ranges with the rangefinder is not simple and very prone to user error (in my case 🤓 ). However if there's a good contrasty subject with clear lines/borders it's doable.

This one was focussed @ f 1.2 on the "NO ONE LIKES US" sticker and came out right on target.

M246M + VM Nokton 50/12.
Mmm, from first hand I can tell you the 'new one' is clunky too ... :eek:

Knorp

Bart, not knowing any better I picked up both the camera plate and Visoflex 2 when I ordered the M11 and I'm glad I did. Hated to spend the $ for the plate but its worked very well. And I have nothing but praise for the Visoflex 2. I've tried it out on all my current lenses and like it while knowing that I might not be using it all the time. I decided to get the Laowa 15 as I need a much faster 15mm than the old one I have. Used the Visoflex 2 the other day testing the Laowa and found I had no issues with focusing. It almost feels like cheating...

Don
Dear Don, didn't you know using an EVF on a meßsucher camera is considered a sacrilege ?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I also might get that plate (handgrip?) otherwise holding the camera, lens and additional weight of the EVF could turn out to be too much for comfort.
Already looking forward using my Summilux-R 1.4/80mm ... :cool:

All the best.

Don Libby

BTW - there's one serious downside to the current plate: it only comes in black ... grrrr
True, but it really doesn't look that bad. I didn't think I'd care for the hand grip as all I wanted is the ability to mount a tripod but it is growing on me.

Chris C

As seen from NEMO rooftop, Amsterdam NL ...
| m11-p | voigtländer heliar 2.8/40mm |
Bart,

I have looked closely at your Heliar 40mm f2.8 pics and you've made a compelling case for me getting one. After Fred Miranda's review I expected it's flaws would drive me crazy and so I had dismissed the lens as not-for-me. Your examples have disturbed, cajoled, and challenged my initial opinion of the lens design and consequently my 'new-camera fund' looks likely to leak the cost of a Heliar.

Could you add a little information to the circumstances of the 'NEMO rooftop' pic. to help me such as; was a tripod used? Likely f stop? In-camera corrective software? Adapted sharpening magic sauce? Stuff like that. I'd be very grateful for your feedback, thank you for your posts.

.............. Chris

B L

Bart,

I have looked closely at your Heliar 40mm f2.8 pics and you've made a compelling case for me getting one. After Fred Miranda's review I expected it's flaws would drive me crazy and so I had dismissed the lens as not-for-me. Your examples have disturbed, cajoled, and challenged my initial opinion of the lens design and consequently my 'new-camera fund' looks likely to leak the cost of a Heliar.

Could you add a little information to the circumstances of the 'NEMO rooftop' pic. to help me such as; was a tripod used? Likely f stop? In-camera corrective software? Adapted sharpening magic sauce? Stuff like that. I'd be very grateful for your feedback, thank you for your posts.

.............. Chris
Simly put, Bart and Peiter knows lenses very well ,sometimes better than their designers, if they used a bottom of a glass bottle, they would come up with an image that will draw some attention!

Last edited:

Knorp

Bart,

.............. Chris
Hi there, Chris.

No tripod used, all hand-held but with a pretty fast shutter (1/250 or 1/4F) most of the time.
The Voigtländer lenses are for obvious reasons not supported so I opted for the Elmar 2.8/50mm what I think (hope) is more or less similar or closest anyway.
All my images shown here are 'Capture One Pro' processed RAW files.
As for the magic sauce: I use 'Soft Image Sharpening 1' and when exporting to JPEG I top it off with a dash of 'Output Sharpening for Screen' (90/0.6/0.8).
That's it !

My apologies for this belated reply, but we seem to have had a site outage (again).
Kind regards.

Knorp

Simly put, Bart and Peiter knows lenses very well ,sometimes better than their designers, if they used a bottom of a glass bottle, they would come up with an image that will draw some attention!
Ha 'B L' , now you're grossly exaggerating. I can't speak for Pieter, but anyway I do feel greatly flattered nonetheless ... :giggle:

All the very best.

• Thanks
Reactions: B L

Knorp

After decades of GAS I have slowly rid myself 12 different cameras and over a hundred lenses down to two cameras and ten or so lenses. I may have oversold in my reductio "absurdio" as I am already missing the M11 - but not as much as I am enjoying the X2D. Truth be told I kept the SL2 because its autofocus is fast enough most of the time to make photographs of our grandson - and having said that I am starting to feel if not old - certainly less young. 😪 I have no doubt I will somehow find another M in due course. Never used a 135 - and have always wanted to try one out. That Heliar shot pretty much shows that one doesn't really need a Leica M for every focal length. Looking forward to your shots of beautiful Amsterdam - one of the cities definitely on my bucket list - and one of the few in Europe my business travels have never taken me to.

Cheers
Pete
Hi Pete, if you ever decide to come to Amsterdam may I suggest you have a look at this hotel Amrâth. It's rated 5-stars so probably pretty expensive, but it's a wonderful building.
Especially the interior is rather spectacular. I need to dig into my M8 archive to find some examples. Don't hold your breath though ...

Kind regards.

| m11-p | voigtländer heliar 2.8/40mm |

Last edited:

B L

Ha 'B L' , now you're grossly exaggerating. I can't speak for Pieter, but anyway I do feel greatly flattered nonetheless ... :giggle:

All the very best.
There are atleast two reasons for me to like photos here (GetDpi). First one is I genuinely liked the photo shown by members and secondly to boost the confidence of the photographers to do more. I know I am greedy in this matter.

Chris C

...... hand-held .. (1/250 or 1/4F) most of the time....... shown here are 'Capture One Pro' processed ...... I use 'Soft Image Sharpening 1' and when exporting to JPEG I top it off with a dash of 'Output Sharpening for Screen' (90/0.6/0.8)......
Bart,

Many thanks for your helpful reply, and yes; I too was shut out from the forum for a while. Should I presume that 'Soft Image Sharpening 1' is part of Capture One? It would really help me if you could reveal which f-stop you likely used on the 'NEMO rooftop' shot.

I've been puzzled by the difference in results offered from your [M11 platform] renderings and those from Fred Miranda. He used an M10-R and maybe the Heliar lens plays more nicely with the M11 sensor than with the M10-R sensor. For what it's worth I'm thinking of getting an LTM version and finally using my code-able John Millich LTM 35mm M mount adapter left over from M8 days. But boy; that wretched 34mm filter size is an idiotic choice .......

Just two more questions for you Bart if you don't mind. Many thanks.

............ Chris