The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Want to try out a histogram-based editor?

akaru

I had this hare-brained idea brewing for years that I ended up taking from a prototype to a full iPhone/iPad/Mac app, because it worked better than I expected.

Haven't you ever wanted to just grab the histogram and adjust it directly, like moving it to the center to adjust your exposure? We do an abstract version of this with levels and curves, but I've never seen anyone let you move the actual histogram channels.

It has its *ahem* learning curve but it works surprisingly well, especially in b&w, since you can manipulate the color channels directly: instead of using a "red filter" slider and giving "more red filter" which equals "less red," you just move the red channel for less red.

Turns out this is an excellent interface on the phone since you want to see the histogram but it gets in the way...this makes the histogram the main point of control, and gives more space to see the photo. It's also just kind of fun.

PM me for a TestFlight link to try it now. I'll launch it on April 1st.