The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What small camera body to use with 28mm Summaron?

peterm1

I've always had a soft spot for the 28mm Summaron (modern version), and am thinking about picking one up again. I am currently using the Hasselblad X2D system (with a 28P and other XCD lenses, but am considering a really small alternative camera on which I can use the Summaron, for a tiny, go anywhere kit that is fun to use and also provides unique results in the the look provided by the Summaron. I could use a CL/TL2 is very small, but is a crop sensor and I want to go full frame with the 28mm FOV. An M body approaches the size of my X2D body (although I must say I really did like the M10R when I used it with the Summaron briefly). I'm a bit afraid to get back into the M world and the money pit it can become (then I would want the 21mm SEM, 50 Lux, etc.....!). But I am tempted.

Then I came across the Sigma FP-L with its 61mp full frame sensor and tiny body, and I am intrigued. I know it's a bit wonky with just an electronic shutter and you have to add a separate EVF unless you want to just use the rear LCD screen, but without the EVF it's tiny with a nice large FF sensor. I would need to use the M-L adapter as well of course.

There is also the possibility of adapting the Summaron to my X2D, although I am not sure how the Summaron performs on it and any possible vignetting, softness, etc. I will do some research to see if anyone has tested this.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

B L

You want to go full frame, I think all digital M bodies are almost same in size and weight. A few milimeters and gramms here and there dont make much difference.

drunkenspyder

Because this could be your solution: PIXII
https://pixii.fr/pixii-camera
The Pixii is also a crop camera, so that doesn't fulfill the OP's goal, but as a Pixii owner, I can highly recommend the camera. It is quite nice. It makes a nice crop accompaniment to my M11. Sensor quality is superb.
An M body approaches the size of my X2D body
I am surprised by this statement. Granted, we all perceive things like size and weight differently, but I'd like to suggest that an M is still your best bet. The specifications of the current X2D and the M11 are:

M11 external dimensions : 5.5 x 3.1 x 1.5" / 139 x 80 x 38.5 mm​
X2D measures: 5.8 x 4.2 x 2.9" / 147.3 x 106.7 x 73.7 mm​

The weight differential is even more dramatic: 455g vs. 790g I don't own my X2D any more, but it sure did not feel like carrying an M11, or vice versa. And when one factors in the smaller lenses, well . . ..

pegelli

Like Bashir said, any digital M-body will do. Pixii is indeed a crop sensor.

If you don't mind an adapter the Sony A7C (or Cii / CR) would be another option, but I don't know how this lens fares on a "non Leica sensor" (i.e. with much thicker cover glass).