The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

hcubell

Just for reference, the X1D demo I tried has a start up tim of approx 15 seconds. Its reported Hasselblad has got this down to approx 7 seconds, give or take. The Pentax 645Z start up time is approx. 2-3 seconds.

Dave (D&A)
Is that 2-3 seconds from the time you press the power button till the camera is ready to fire a shot? My IQ180 on an H2 takes around 14 seconds till its ready to shoot a frame.

tcdeveau

Is that 2-3 seconds from the time you press the power button till the camera is ready to fire a shot? My IQ180 on an H2 takes around 14 seconds till its ready to shoot a frame.
Yup. The 645z is more 35mm dSLR than traditional medium format in that regard. The on/off switch is a rotary-type switch around the shutter button just like what the Nikons I used had. Quick flip of the switch and you're ready to go. I've been shooting with a 645z for about a month now and the quick start up time i found surprisingly quick. The batteries last quite a long time too.

D&A

Yup. The 645z is more 35mm dSLR than traditional medium format in that regard. The on/off switch is a rotary-type switch around the shutter button just like what the Nikons I used had. Quick flip of the switch and you're ready to go. I've been shooting with a 645z for about a month now and the quick start up time i found surprisingly quick. The batteries last quite a long time too.
Exactly my experience with the 645z. In fact prior to that I had the 645D and time between turn on and ready to focus and shoot was almost instantaneous. When I first tried out the 645z, I was taken back a bit when time from turn on to ready to focus and shoot had a lag of 2-3 seconds.

Correct me is I'm wrong tcdeveau, but I assume with the 645z you do find a delay of approx 2 second between turning on rotary on/off switch till time camera is ready to shoot. Its not instantanious but has a slight 2 second delay? Am I correct?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Now, the bad news. The dealer did not have an adequately charged battery to shoot with, so I couldn't comment on the actual experience of shooting it or looking over some files. That was just as well, because the dealer had not loaded the new firmware. No battery, old firmware. Not a great demo experience for a customer looking at a camera system with the price tag of the X1D.
Sloppy. Want me to release the war penguins?

Has anyone had a chance to try the latest firmware?

D&A

The war penguins? Is that still a thing?
Better known as Penquin Wars? How do I know? I didn't, had to google it to understand what the heck everyone was referring to and how it relates to the demo X1D. Now instead if you had said Pacman, that I'd understand...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

PedroL

Sloppy. Want me to release the war penguins?

Has anyone had a chance to try the latest firmware?
Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!
I have uploaded new firmware as soon as it was available and it is great. Great improvement with battery life - shot about 500 images from helicopters and battery was only about 25% down. I did not check startup time as I believe it is secondary issue - if you need instant use, keep the camera on, put only the screen to sleep and you can shoot practically instantly. Focus worked great.
I did not have any problems or situations with the camera which would need to be addressed.
I have to admit I was not looking very hard for faults, as I believe there will be others to do it.
Just be patient and the reward will be a camera you will have a hard time to put down....

KeithL

A couple of questions to Hasselblad Official or NickT if I may.

Is there any news on a cabled release?

Is in-camera DOF information a planned feature?

Many thanks in advance.

Keith

JeRuFo

A couple of questions to Hasselblad Official or NickT if I may.

Is there any news on a cabled release?

Is in-camera DOF information a planned feature?

Many thanks in advance.

Keith
I think you should rephrase your questions to one that they can either like or don't bother to.

I am getting more and more excited about the camera myself actually. I have looked at quite a few more images and am quite impressed with how the lenses render. I think the look and qualtiy they offer is quite well suited to the type of photography this type of camera should excel at, documentary style work and landscapes.

D&A

I think you should rephrase your questions to one that they can either like or don't bother to.

I am getting more and more excited about the camera myself actually. I have looked at quite a few more images and am quite impressed with how the lenses render. I think the look and qualtiy they offer is quite well suited to the type of photography this type of camera should excel at, documentary style work and landscapes.
Just the physical handling and size of the camera and its currently available lenses makes it especially suitable for an wide variety of photograhic endeavors. If performance matches these attributes, then it certainly is a system to get excited about. Once in the hands of users of various photographic disciplines, we'll know a lot more about its strengths and shortcomings of which all cameras exhibit to one degree or another.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

KeithL

I previously forwarded the question to NickT who kindly forwarded it onto Hasselblad but I've heard nothing more since.

JeRuFo

Just the physical handling and size of the camera and its currently available lenses makes it especially suitable for an wide variety of photograhic endeavors. If performance matches these attributes, then it certainly is a system to get excited about. Once in the hands of users of various photographic disciplines, we'll know a lot more about its strengths and shortcomings of which all cameras exhibit.

Dave (D&A)
True. At first I felt a little negative about the lenses. Hasselblad brought out only samples on their website shot at f8 and f11 which seemed a little weird for small jpgs on a website and the first few examples I saw of shots more wide open seemed a little harsh to me. But now that I've seen more shot I feel that the lenses fit right in with the older lenses from Hasselblad, they are not creamy and dreamy, but they have a more natural and somewhat cooler rendering but it is still pleasant. I'll stop, I'm beginning to sound like a wine ponce.

algrove

Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!
I have uploaded new firmware as soon as it was available and it is great. Great improvement with battery life - shot about 500 images from helicopters and battery was only about 25% down. I did not check startup time as I believe it is secondary issue - if you need instant use, keep the camera on, put only the screen to sleep and you can shoot practically instantly. Focus worked great.
I did not have any problems or situations with the camera which would need to be addressed.
I have to admit I was not looking very hard for faults, as I believe there will be others to do it.
Just be patient and the reward will be a camera you will have a hard time to put down....
Are you the only on here that has actually received a camera?

hcubell

By the way, one thing I noticed that I did not mention is that the seal between the camera body and the lenses is quite tight, which is very good news in terms of weather resistance. However, the downside is that it not easy to take the lens off the body. It took me a bit of effort to remove the 90mm lens. I have noticed the same thing with the Zeiss Batis lenses on my A7RII. Trade offs, trade offs!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Howard, overall that's very good news and confirms what Peter Lorber ("PedroL") has been reporting from his active use of a demo camera (now loaded with the latest firmware).

My bit of bad news is that I'll have to return the two XCD lenses to B&H this week. They cannont extend the return period beyond December 30 and I may not have a camera by then. Oh well, I'll re-order when I have a camera in hand.

Thanks for your reports.

Joe

Poor you, Joe - but I think that's a wise choice. It's now over a week since the 'shipping today' statements, and there are as yet no records of any being received by punters. I'm not counting chickens until I hear of someone having seen an egg somewhere. To complete my earlier ditty:

Santa's riding on his sleigh
The X1D is on it's way
Though no one's got one at this juncture
Maybe Santa has a puncture?

D&A

Poor you, Joe - but I think that's a wise choice. It's now over a week since the 'shipping today' statements, and there are as yet no records of any being received by punters. I'm not counting chickens until I hear of someone having seen an egg somewhere. To complete my earlier ditty:

Santa's riding on his sleigh
The X1D is on it's way
Though no one's got one at this juncture
Maybe Santa has a puncture?
OR...

Maybe Santas sweet
And given all his elves a treat
Each received a brand new X1D
Instead of delivering them to you and me!