The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

Paul2660

Odd. I was at Photo Plus and there wasn't a real Fuji in sight - I asked. Like I said, I could be wildly wrong, and they could get a completely new system up and out the door before the first X1D ships. I don't shoot with cameras from either manufacturer, but quite like the Fujis I've handled. Their optics and default renderings are great.

To be clear, my comment was based on the assumption that EVERYBODY'S shipping schedules slip by 6-8 months. If Fuji are famous for shipping on time, I apologize for my ignorance.

I wish both manufacturers great success and products that push everyone forward *cough*Leica*cough*.

--Matt
Hi Matt,

I was not taking a shot at you, sorry if it came across that way. Your point on the 6-8 months is right on. Fuji seems to play well with a few of the rumors sites mainly www.fujirumors.com, as most of the "leaked" info is fact around 85% or so, which is not too bad. Fuji was leaking info about medium format over a year ago, then it stopped for a while as they worked on the X-Pro2, and X-T2 lines. Now they seem to have gotten quiet again on the GFX.

Both cameras will happen in good time, I do feel for the Hasselblad users with X1D orders out, especially if there were hoping to use on this years taxes.

Both designs are a huge positive step forward in my eyes, allowing a much broader market share into MF technology, than has been allowed before.

Paul Caldwell

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Matt,

I was not taking a shot at you, sorry if it came across that way. Your point on the 6-8 months is right on. Fuji seems to play well with a few of the rumors sites mainly www.fujirumors.com, as most of the "leaked" info is fact around 85% or so, which is not too bad. Fuji was leaking info about medium format over a year ago, then it stopped for a while as they worked on the X-Pro2, and X-T2 lines. Now they seem to have gotten quiet again on the GFX.

Both cameras will happen in good time, I do feel for the Hasselblad users with X1D orders out, especially if there were hoping to use on this years taxes.

Both designs are a huge positive step forward in my eyes, allowing a much broader market share into MF technology, than has been allowed before.

Paul Caldwell
Paul,

No offense taken! I'm always perfectly happy to be wrong about my pessimism ;)

--Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
At Photokina in September I was fortunate enough to get to shoot with the Fuji GFX and the first 3 lenses. Its definitely real and interestingly even things like movable AF points was working on the Fuji. I suspect we'll see the Fuji land successfully in the late spring.

And just so the Hassy fans don't feel left out, I had the chance to spend some time with the X1D recently and its a marvel of industrial design, a beautiful camera to hold and work with.
That's great! I was hoping it was further along. I just didn't think it was.

Thanks,

Matt

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Movable AF points have been pretty standard with CDAF digital. I had it on my first digital camera, a Minolta Dimage 7, back in 2004.

Best regards
Erik

At Photokina in September I was fortunate enough to get to shoot with the Fuji GFX and the first 3 lenses. Its definitely real and interestingly even things like movable AF points was working on the Fuji. I suspect we'll see the Fuji land successfully in the late spring.

And just so the Hassy fans don't feel left out, I had the chance to spend some time with the X1D recently and its a marvel of industrial design, a beautiful camera to hold and work with.

ddanois

This from one Hass dealer (not B&H) today after my inquiry. He checked with the Hass rep, so this may be pretty accurate.

Thought I'd add a "glass half full" entry to a depressing thread.

Joe
At least it seems that Hasselblad is giving consistent responses to dealer inquires. Good sign!

Thanks Joe!

D&A

This from one Hass dealer (not B&H) today after my inquiry. He checked with the Hass rep, so this may be pretty accurate.

Thought I'd add a "glass half full" entry to a depressing thread.

Joe
Wow if true thats only 5 days away. Thats not a glass half full...but a glass filled to the top and raised for a toast!

Dave (D&A)

wellfleet

It would appear that that not all Demo units are equal. On Oct.20, Hasselblad released a new firmware version 1.12.0 which was to be used only "on the new Demo cameras. Cameras used for the launch events can only use this update if they have a modified sensor position."

The link for the PDF install instructions that explains this is @ http://static.hasselblad.com/2016/10/Release-Notes-X1D-1_12_0.pdf
The firmware can be had @ http://hasselblad.us9.list-manage.c...3806c5aee040ebeb22&id=1518f036c7&e=1292a7421f

The Boston dealer has this version installed on his demo(s). He had not heard of the version (1.13b) that Ming Thein has. Maybe the 'b' refers to a beta/pre-release version?
The dealer had yet to receive a release date from Hasselblad.

Last edited:

BANKER1

Hi guys,

We are very saddened to read this thread and we do understand your frustration. We very much apologise for the inconvenience. After its announcement, the X1D became a global success. Due to the very high amount of orders that followed, we had to make structural changes to our factory in Sweden to meet the demand and increase the number of units produced per day.

We have been shipping demo units since August and most of our partners have X1D available for hands-on experience, but ramping up end-user cameras took longer than we anticipated. On a positive note, we are starting to fulfil end-user orders as of this month.

We thank you for your patience and we hope that you accept our sincerest apologies.

// The Hasselblad Team
Why are we not accepting the above information from Hasselblad Official? It clearly states, "we are starting to fulfil end-user orders as of this month." This being so, B&H must mean that any new orders will be fulfilled in February. This should surprise no one, since we have been informed of the large numbers of orders already placed. Hasselblad has ramped up production ("structural changes"), but it will take time to fulfill all the backorders.

Greg

D&A

To add a bit of levity to this conversation, do we think Kodak delivered the 1st shipment or subsequent models of their Brownie Camera on time after shortly announcing them to the general public?

I don't know the answer but I am sure each individual model had their own firmware revision that remained constant throughout their run. :)

In all seriousness...its important for companies to play it straight with their customers but unfortunately some don't.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I'm excited to see people get these in their hands. I'd like to compare both the Hassy and Fuji with one another once they're released. I'm currently leaning Fuji based on speculated price and the known lens roadmap but either looks great.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Why are we not accepting the above information from Hasselblad Official? It clearly states, "we are starting to fulfil end-user orders as of this month." This being so, B&H must mean that any new orders will be fulfilled in February. This should surprise no one, since we have been informed of the large numbers of orders already placed. Hasselblad has ramped up production ("structural changes"), but it will take time to fulfill all the backorders.

Greg
Not sure but they should do a press release as that's a real commitment. The issue has been as as this thread proves it it's all over the place. Hassy as I said earlier needs to make a firm hard core date since it seems it's been delayed. As we see it has customers not so confident. I run a business I could Never get away with out a hard date.

I'm a industry wide advocate and as such these OEMs industry wide need to stop pulling our chains. We need roadmaps and hard dates.

D&A

Not sure but they should do a press release as that's a real commitment. The issue has been as as this thread proves it it's all over the place. Hassy as I said earlier needs to make a firm hard core date since it seems it's been delayed. As we see it has customers not so confident. I run a business I could Never get away with out a hard date.

I'm a industry wide advocate and as such these OEMs industry wide need to stop pulling our chains. We need roadmaps and hard dates.
Guy my belief is that the only time companies take this seriously, is when their bottom line is affected. It's the same way when we deal with clients who expect a finished product on time. If not, we all know the both their reaction and the consequences. Sure there are legitimate reasons for certain delays but when people smell something that sounds like an excuse, it adds insult to injury. People appreciate and understand when things are played straight.

Dave (D&A)

Jan

It would appear that that not all Demo units are equal. On Oct.20, Hasselblad released a new firmware version 1.12.0 which was to be used only "on the new Demo cameras. Cameras used for the launch events can only use this update if they have a modified sensor position."

The link for the PDF install instructions that explains this is @ http://static.hasselblad.com/2016/10/Release-Notes-X1D-1_12_0.pdf
The firmware can be had @ http://hasselblad.us9.list-manage.c...3806c5aee040ebeb22&id=1518f036c7&e=1292a7421f

The Boston dealer has this version installed on his demo(s). He had not heard of the version (1.13b) that Ming Thein has. Maybe the 'b' refers to a beta/pre-release version?
The dealer had yet to receive a release date from Hasselblad.
At least your dealer has a demo unit ...

malmac

I don't have a dog in this fight -

However just to remind folks about my experience with Phase One.
We purchased a P65+ just prior to the release of the IQ series - year 2010 -
Camera was delivered in April 2011 (P65+ arrives - IQ180 in about August from memory)..

At the time we were looking at a H46 - 50 or 60 - we did not like the 645DF camera but the dealer said new camera body is in the pipeline - no exact date for release yet.

So we bought into Phase One - the back is a dream and I am not complaining - however I am pointing out that it was four years later that the XF arrived on the market.

Yes realise that the situation is slightly different - BUT what we want to happen NOW or at least SOON - sometimes takes more time than we want.

The camera will have lots of strong points when it arrives and undoubtedly some short comings - when DREAMS turn to REALITY - things need a bit of adjustment.

Mal

danlindberg

If the above is true, new shipdate yet again in feb -17, then I strongly believe that Hasselblad needs to put the cards on the table and publish a pressrelease to explain in more detail what has happened and give the clientbase a final hard date.

The cam itself looks amazing to my eyes and I am certain it will excel in performance and handling. All will be good in the end, but I think Hasselblad is making a huge misstake in not being more informative of progress to release.

Sure, there will be professionals (and others ofcourse) that will reconsider investment for a prolonged delay - but I am certain there will be LESS people jumping ship if only Hasselblad were to be honest and informative! Most enthusiasts would be patient for an official february release even back in august!! In my view Hasselblad is harming credability more than necessary...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I had a chuckle at this comment. But, are you completely dismissing Hasselblad Official's comment? If it is February, I am going to lose a lot of faith. (What little I have left.)

Greg

Sadly by this stage of the game it has become clear that H'blad have missed too many deadlines on this one for any of their own estimates to be worth taking seriously: as I said somewhere above, they (think they) are managing us rather keeping us properly informed.

It's not much skin off my nose though. I think it's a poorly thought out policy and indicates either bad marketing advice or a production side that doesn't have a grip on exactly where it is, but as a brand they have already shown that they are rather lost and are casting around for some new model. I hope they find it with the X1D and I'm inclined to wait, at least for now, for my order to get filled. But there are other arrivals breathing down Hassy's neck and I pity the poor management, who have some venture cap investors breathing down their necks and trying to get them to do stuff to realise value in the brand but in a way which might end up doing more harm than good...