The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

value of photos in the digital era

gooomz

sorry for my "strange" questions but since moving from film and seeing how the digital age makes it easier to produce "strong" images i know this might sound strange and i know i am late to the party but has the digital capture and digital post processing and digital viewing of images devalued photographs in general?

it just seems that to produce, share, edit, view, and store images has become so convenient that the value of photographs in general has gone down. i know technology does not make a photographer and i shoot because i enjoy it, but i think digital has made it easier to produce stronger and stronger images.

has the digital age raised the bar in what is a great photo?

is there any validity to these statements?

doug

it just seems that to produce, share, edit, view, and store images has become so convenient that the value of photographs in general has gone down. i know technology does not make a photographer and i shoot because i enjoy it, but i think digital has made it easier to produce stronger and stronger images.

has the digital age raised the bar in what is a great photo?

is there any validity to these statements?
I think it's automation that has led to a general devaluation of photographs. Transferring the skills required to make technically adequate photos from the photographer to the camera means a lot more people can supply technically adequate photos, just by using the brains programmed into the camera (a few of these people will have the vision to create aesthetically good photos too); the net result is that if an adequate photo is all that's required, the supply has far outstripped demand.

IMHO the digital age is only part of the cause; current and recent past digital cameras have raised the technical bar w.r.t detail and color accuracy.

If the aesthetic bar has raised at all it's because there now are photographers who have a good eye but would have been stifled by technical problems (focus, exposure, lighting, steadiness, etc.) that mainstream cameras now handle automagically.