The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 18mm coding problems... Ugh

mjm6

Ok, so after 6-weeks at leica USA for faulty 6-bit led's I am trying to get my Zeiss 18mm lens coded... No go.

The lens brings up the 28/90 frame lines and has the groove for the codes, but I can't get the camera to recognize the lens using either the 21mm code (000001) or the wate code (010000).

Unfortunately, I don't have a coded 28mm or 90mm lens here to test, but I am thinking that the frame line microswitch isn't working correctly.

Is there any way to test this theory without a coded lens that will bring up the 28/90 frame lines? I can't think of a certain method...

Thanks,

---Michael

DaveS

Hi Michael, that is an interesting question. I did some tests that might help.

A) I have a 18mm uncoded Zeiss F4 and code it manually in the menu as 21mm. If I display the info button on review it calls it a 21mm as it should. I then change the preview lever to a different set of frame lines and it still says 21mm. So the manual menu setting doesn't care about the frame lever.

B) I have a coded 35mm Summarit and put the menu in Auto, and it correctly shows 35 in the review info display. I then change the lever frame lines, and then it doesn't recognize the 35 anymore.

Therefore:

1 - On Auto detect it seems you need both the 6 bit code on the lens, and the frame lines in the correct position.

2 - If you have the 6 bit code correct, then probably the frame line selector on your lens cam isn't what Leica expects for that lens,

3 - or, your lens cam switch isn't working.

I would suggest you try the lens and manual try the lever in different spots to see if you can get it to 'see' your lens. Maybe the defaul cam your Zeiss is just a different one than it is on the Leica lenses you are trying to emulate.

This was a quick test by using the review display on my camera, hope it helps.

Dave

DaveS

One more update, this is weird, I just did the same test with a 6 bit coded Zeiss 21mm, and in Auto lens detect, it doesn't care where I switch the lever, it always shows 21 in the review info display.

So either I have a strange camera, or on lenses that actually match the frame lines, like a 35mm, it matters that both line up - both the 6bit and the lever cam have to be correct. But for a lens that doesn't match the frame lines, like a 18 or 21 (the camera doesn't have these frame lines) then only the 6 bit coding takes control in 'Auto lens detect mode'

So my memo above maybe isn't really helpful for you.

good luck with it.

Dave

apsheng

Only the WATE code would work for the 28/90 frame line. I may be wrong but as far as I know the 21mm code and the 28/90 is not a valid combination so the above post is puzzling. Try the Wate code again and underrotate or overrotate (by depressing the dismount button) to see if the code position is off a bit. I had this problem when I had the lens a while ago.

Good luck,
Alan

mjm6

Alan,

The 21mm brings up the 28/90 frame lines. Most people use the 21mm code with this lens, and it does appear to be the best for red edge correction.

I think I got it working... I think the LEDs are more sensitive than they were before, and it takes a heavy application of sharpie to be read as a '1'.

---Michael

apsheng

Michael:
I stand corrected. I was recalling from the early M8 days when I had the ZM18 and had trouble coding it as a 21mm.

Alan

mjm6

If it is coded as a watt, then it has th 28/90 frame lines, so it can be coded as the 21mm somatic, which does appear to correct the red edge better in my tests...

---Michael

jlm

Workshop Member
black and white nail polish work very well, applied in the recesses with a toothpick