The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P65+ or Hasselblad H4D 60

David Klepacki

Dear David,

Thank you for the information on the sync X port of the Sinar-M camera.:salute::salute:
It is the most intriguing piece of Sinar Knowledge I saw on the internet. It was so interesting that I drove to the studio today to check the high speed sync on my M camera. I tried the X and got half blacked files. I failed...:(:cry:
David, am I right that there is some trick or secret involved, or something else should be done with the M -camera? Or my M does not work properly?

Thank you, it is so nice to see you again on the Forum.
Yevgeny

It
Hi Yevgeny,

You did not use the right port.

Looking at the front of the Sinar M body, the X sync port is to the right of the lens mount. This is the port you should use for slow shutter speeds of 1/100 or slower.

Now, look to the left side of the lens mount. You will see another port that looks exactly like the X sync port. However, it is a different port called the M sync port. This is the port you should use for high speed flash. Simply plug your PC sync cable into this port. You then setup your flash in manual mode. I use a Metz 54MZ, and use the Manual mode with 1/1 full power and by setting only ISO, aperture and focal length to get the approximate distance.

I think once you plug your flash into the correct sync port, you will be fine. Then, just play with your flash until you understand how it works.

Have fun!

David

J

jjlphoto

My understanding of the new focus lock is that when you lock focus and then recompose, the camera measures the angular change of the camera movement to recompose, and then adjusts the focus to compensate - this, I think, would require changing the focus on the lens, i.e. requires an autofocus lens, and the V systems lenses are all manual focus.
Yes. Hasselblad refers to this as 'focus velocity'. It uses the distance focused to estimate your angular displacement, and adjusts accordingly by refocusing the lens. IOW, if the lens is focused close to infinity, the lens may only be refocused a smidge, or perhaps none at all. If the lens is focused at something a mere 6 feet away, it will refocus the lens a lot. There may be limitations or ranges it is designed to work within. I haven't read the whole thing yet.