The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why i shoot with C645

T

thsinar

Please read my previous post: this was just announced, pretty new.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

Would you be kind enough to explain this in a bit more detail. Sounds like this is something for new backs not yet released.

BJNY

Prices for the upgrade have been communicated to our distributors: it does not only concern the new display, but also new internal electronic board.
Best regards,
Thierry
You can call me Billy, Thierry.

Is the new internal electronic board strictly for the new 2.5" OLED display
or does it change some other characteristics (better high ISO performance?)

T

thsinar

PS and on a side note: I do not want to hijack this "Contax" tread with "my stuff".

Sorry about that.

Thierry

irakly

Well, I am sure I have to improve ALL my skills. However...

In all fairness to the person whose lighting this was, and who set it up, (not me) this was just an out-take while goofing around with the fans (which were only 'hefty' in the sense that that's where we put them after the shoot-in a hefy bag!)

BTW is that your Kodak c on ebay?
kill the guy :)

no, it is not my back. i have not shot pictures of it yet :) this one is identical, though.

T

thsinar

Hi Billy,

ALL ugrades to the new 2.5" display will automatically get the new electronical board as well. In fact, you get a BRAND NEW e75 /e75 LV for this price.

This new electronic board is meant to improve ISO performance as well as general quality.

Thierry

You can call me Billy, Thierry.

Is the new internal electronic board strictly for the new 2.5" OLED display
or does it change some other characteristics (better high ISO performance?)

BJNY

Does the new board also affect frequency of black reference files, and shooting speed when tethered?

How fast is this swap done? My friend who uses the e75lv is in Italy at the moment, and I'm sure he'd like to do the upgrade.

T

thsinar

Does the new board also affect frequency of black reference files, and shooting speed when tethered?
I don't think so, Billy, nothing such was mentioned to me.

How fast is this swap done?
Our distributors have to place order for the upgrade and they will then be informed when the new back is ready, in order to minimize this swap-time: I guess that starting June 01st all will be in place to have the swap done in a few days.

Thierry

LJL

Frankly the exact reason some of us have three systems. You want speed and wide open than 35mm is the ticket , you want stealth great files and the leica glass than your looking at the M8 and frankly MF is not a speed camera and mostly used in controlled situations . Of course Marc uses it for weddings and others as well and it is nice to have speed but all of this depends on need. If i could have one system it would combine all three but that is impossible to get. For a guy like me that is called into many different types of work. 3 systems is almost a given but for others that shoot specific things only than gear will be purchased for that purpose alone. Frankly the compare between the MF systems is almost a moot point. Everyone of them is going to give you a great file. Some may have a different look to them and have better glass and such but when you get down to the file level there all like cousins of each other. You already are into the best detail, biggest DR when you just step into MF. The rest is the gravy part
Guy,
All good points, and agree about different gear being better suited to different uses. I have that same thing going on now with the Canon DSLRs and the M8, so not unfamiliar with the issue. Also agree that the MF files are the ticket for all those good things we are discussing. My confusion or whatever comes back down to the MF kit and how that is being used. Marc does push his Hasselblad system into all sorts of things with superb results. It still has some areas where other systems could be a better choice. (Not nit-picking here, Marc :thumbup:)

That is why it is so great to see folks talking about the applications of their gear. That is the stuff that I think helps understand more about the overall utility, etc. Not trying to get everything covered by one system or set-up, though that may be possible with some concessions, but more to think about what will be put to work for which job. No doubt, I ain't shootin' polo with any MF rigs....none of them can meet those needs for my shooting. However, doing the product shots and PR stuff is a different story. There the higher flash sync for fill shooting outdoors matters a lot. Conversely, if I were doing lots of landscape shooting, I may think more about something like the ZD or others where higher shutter speeds in brighter light are important without having to resort to filters and other things to control exposure more accurately.

Not getting into a discussion about the files at all, as that needs little convincing for most folks. That comes down to the glass and the box, and what the best combination is there for the type of shooting one is doing. Doing stop-down metering for more rapidly changing settings seems like a non-starter to my way of thinking, but that may just be me. Using a tripod all the time with heavy glass may not be on everybody's list of fun things to take traveling. So comparing studio shots to outdoor landscape panos is nice, but how easy/hard/involved/simple setting some of that up and using which gear helps folks think about those practical aspects also.

Seems like one can make a great argument for just about any MF system. The more interesting part, to me and some others I think, is understanding why folks selected what they have and what the reasons for those selections were. It may be something as simple as cost, and all the other factors or inconveniences are accepted. It may be newest features and AF, so that starts to eliminate other things. It may be for travel. It may be studio portrait shooting only. It may be a wonderful collection of Zeiss glass that one does not want to part with.

Anyway, all of this is really helpful.

LJ

gogopix

Subscriber
kill the guy :)

no, it is not my back. i have not shot pictures of it yet :) this one is identical, though.
Cut him some slack (not his throat!:D) he's an architecture guy, might have thought they were statues (statues dont mind double catchlites:toocool:)

anyway, have you ever tried a sinar/jenoptic on the Contax? I know of Rainer, and I THOUGHT David used the sinar, but David, it's the Aptus, yes?

David Klepacki

What I would really like is for someone to pipe in with experience of Sinar on the Contax system!

David?
This thread has become so convoluted that it is hard to keep the original intent of this "why i shoot Contax" thread. In an effort to put it back on track, I will try to make clear my reasons for shooting Contax....but not exclusively.

First, why I still shoot Contax:
- I need to have an autofocus camera that can shoot faster than 1/500 or 1/800. Only cameras with focal plane shutters can do this. Mamiya, Phase, and Contax are the only choices here.
- I need a camera to accept Hasselblad CFi,CFE, AND FE lenses. Again, Mamiya, Phase, and Contax can all do this.
- I need to have a camera that can accept a waist level finder (for lightweight travel as well as various macro and copy work). This means the Contax becomes the only choice for me.
- I also prefer the compact Sunpak DX-12R TTL ring flash, which works beautifully on the Contax, especially with the 110/2 Planar. I have never been able to confirm whether there is a true TTL adapter that would work on the Mamiya/Phase.
- And, the above system must be travel-friendly. Again, Contax+WLF+55 is the smallest MF kit currently possible (with my above criteria).
- Lastly, I have always preferred the Zeiss/Schneider/Rodenstock glass over the Mamiya/Fuji glass. This is HIGHLY subjective, and I am only stating my personal preference here. Neither lens maker can be said to be inferior.

OK, I also accept that the Contax 645 does not do everything. That is why I switched from Phase to Sinar for my digital back. The Phase gives probably the best quality, out-of-the-camera single shot image (for argument sake, let's say as good as the H3DII too). The Sinar gives a different look that I have come to like better, especially with some lenses; however, it takes a little more work in post-processing.

I was wiling to make that trade-off in post-processing effort for the freedom that a single back across multiple camera systems now gives me. (BTW, I did not go with the Hasselblad CF backs, since they do not support their own Hasselblad 200 series cameras...and I like the color rendition of the Sinar better - another personal preference here)

I also shoot other cameras, like the Sinar Hy6 and the Hasselblad 200 series, using the same Sinar e75LV back. This gives me the added ability of high flash sync (1/1000), or auto-stopdown of the Hasselblad FE lenses, and also positions me better for any future square sensors.

So, I chose this direction as my direction. I did not see any way for the H3D system to accommodate potentially new square sensors. I like the idea of adding the Hy6 that can potentially take either 645 or 66 full frame sensors....but really I look forward most to using the revolving back with 645 :)

Also, the ability to deal with images from one back across all camera systems cannot be underestimated. This allows you to have a common workflow for your photography, regardless of what camera system you actually use. Whether I shoot with the Contax, Hy6, Hasselblad 200, Alpa, Linhof ... my workfow is the same. You can use the same software that you are accustomed to such as Lightroom or ACR ... And yes, even Capture One to develop the raw files (after converted to DNG).

Last edited:

LJL

David,
Thanks for taking the effort to outline and explain your choices. THIS is great food for thought. I share a lot of your thoughts about the Sinar back and the ability to work across a few systems as needed. Lots of utility there for sure.

After thinking more about this, it really starts to seem like quite a loss not to have had Contax continue with a new body that had more updated features and capabilities, as well as preserving so much of its flexibility. It actually fills a very practical niche that is now being left open to some degree, except for coverage by existing used gear.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well said David , you choices got across the fence line well. It gives more reason for certain choices. My decision was purely on cost at this point to be honest . At 8400 for a Mamiya , 80 lens and a 22mpx pack was a deal i could not refuse. So for me right now i will deal with the limitations there is to my system but I can buy some leaf shutter lenses to and for fill outdoors is a good thought since 1/125 on my focal plane is not going to cut it

David Klepacki

... After thinking more about this, it really starts to seem like quite a loss not to have had Contax continue with a new body that had more updated features and capabilities, as well as preserving so much of its flexibility. It actually fills a very practical niche that is now being left open to some degree, except for coverage by existing used gear.

LJ
LJ, that was part of my point about the Contax. Even the latest and greatest camera body from Mamiya and Phase (which is just now starting to ship) does not have the features of the "old" Contax 645.

The latest and greatest Mamiya AFD /Phase camera does not have things such as in-camera flash meter and interchangeable viewfinders, nor a precision geared autobellows like for the Contax. In fact, I cannot find any overwhelming feature/capability of the newest Mamiya/Phase camera that is strong enough to choose over the Contax system. The only exception is perhaps their 28mm lens, but in that case I would prefer using the Alpa for ultra-wide work.

I hope you are right, in that someday someone will make an open 645 system with all the benefits of the Contax 645....but that day could be long in coming.

David Klepacki

Well said David , you choices got across the fence line well. It gives more reason for certain choices. My decision was purely on cost at this point to be honest . At 8400 for a Mamiya , 80 lens and a 22mpx pack was a deal i could not refuse. So for me right now i will deal with the limitations there is to my system but I can buy some leaf shutter lenses to and for fill outdoors is a good thought since 1/125 on my focal plane is not going to cut it
Guy, first I think you made a GREAT buy with the Mamiya. Despite my need to defend my Contax colleagues, I think stepping into MF digital is the best step you can make, period, regardless of system.

As I stated above, the Mamiya is very very similar to the Contax system. If they get their act in gear and deliver those leaf shutter lenses for that system, as advertised, I think it would then be more versatile than my beloved Contax. My only gripe is the WLF. Why does Mamiya avoid this?

If the day ever comes that Mamiya/Phase build a camera with WLF and leaf shutter lenses, I think I may have to jump ship myself!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, first I think you made a GREAT buy with the Mamiya. Despite my need to defend my Contax colleagues, I think stepping into MF digital is the best step you can make, period, regardless of system.

As I stated above, the Mamiya is very very similar to the Contax system. If they get their act in gear and deliver those leaf shutter lenses for that system, as advertised, I think it would then be more versatile than my beloved Contax. My only gripe is the WLF. Why does Mamiya avoid this?

If the day ever comes that Mamiya/Phase build a camera with WLF and leaf shutter lenses, I think I may have to jump ship myself!
Thanks David , it is a good start and that is important right there alone.

David K

Workshop Member
I THOUGHT David used the sinar, but David, it's the Aptus, yes?
Not sure which David you meant but you got an answer from the other David K :) I'll have my Sinar Hy6 kit next week but maybe not the Contax adapter yet. On a side note I find it interesting that Leaf seems to be mostly left out of consideration these days... talking new kits, not used. My feeling is that Sinar's Hy6 kit may have trumped Leaf with their adapter system (not to mention their somewhat higher pricing). This to me is a shame because I have been very happy with my Aptus backs, but I'm guessing Thierry is not losing sleep over this.